Dashcams and license plate recognition

Soldato
That is not true.
Oh, do tell me how it's not true. Also, please tell me how your camera with awful components can actually see everything in crystal clear quality but can't save the files in such quality. Also please tell me how your very weak processing power dashcam would be able to do something as highly demanding as ANPR.

You should try looking at the recordings from your own dashcam.
I don't have a dashcam because I'm not a plank.

Soldato
I was liking your argument, but then you've gone and dismissed every single Dashcam owner as stupid.
I for one am happy with my decision to add cameras to my car. I've watched back footage from my own cameras and feel that they would record with enough quality to really help out if I were to be involved in an incident.

Soldato
If you work out a way to connect the dashcam to a laptop then yeah it
Would be possible
Though not sure why a decent dashcam
Wouldn't have footage that a number plate wasn't readable
Except in poor light as your headlights reflect off the number plates
I got a dashcam since insurance company basically paid for it anyway
Number plates are clearly readable on mine
Not sure why having a dashcam makes you a plank
In the event of an accident it helps prove you weren't at fault etc
Yeah some people use them to record their stupid driving to show off on YouTube I guess
But that's not what the op asked about anyway

Soldato
I believe he is insured against loss in the event of an accident. So he doesn't need to drive around recording everyone just in case he has a crash.
Exactly.

Dashcam and "film everyone doing the most mundane stuff" culture is really quite awful.

In the event of a crash I’m pretty sure it would focus the mind to remember a 7 digit registration plate.

And you likely have a much better camera in your pocket anyway so can easily snap pics of vehicles involved and positions on road etc.

Man of Honour
With any cheap to mid-range dashcam the image quality is a mixture of both internal compression and hardware - often they are using a lower res sensor running at a higher framerate and using it to reproduce a higher resolution image at a lower framerate which results in a lot of noise before you even get to the compression - no internal ANPR feature could save that.

A higher quality, more expensive, dashcam will produce a better image so you can run it offline to process number plates if you really need to but they should be a lot clearer in the first place any how.

Man of Honour
And you likely have a much better camera in your pocket anyway so can easily snap pics of vehicles involved and positions on road etc.

This doesn't even come close to what a dashcam can do. I've twice now got dangerous drivers off the road due to having dashcam footage in situations that doesn't cover. With a high chance they'd have later have been involved in serious incidents. Never mind the application if an accident occurs.

Soldato
This doesn't even come close to what a dashcam can do. I've twice now got dangerous drivers off the road due to having dashcam footage in situations that doesn't cover. With a high chance they'd have later have been involved in serious incidents. Never mind the application if an accident occurs.
Re-read what I posted and quoted.

Caporegime
I hope we don't have complete and utter dangers on the road scanning everyone's numberplate so they can be grassed up to the police for inane acts. If the camera is good enough to make the plate visible in the footage, why do you need some sort of recognition and storing of the plates? There's enough self appointed road cops as it is.

Man of Honour
Your phone is great for after the accident
Assuming the other party stops
Footage leading up to and showing the actual accident is much more useful
In my opinion

There are such a wide variety of accidents as well. These days they are sadly very useful for covering your own back.

Soldato
Fair enough - it is a perspective I've seen posted by 1-2 regular dashcam haters here and assumed you held it in a wider context - especially after calling all dashcam owners planks.

Most drivers are planks. A dash cam isn’t going to change that.

Soldato
I believe he is insured against loss in the event of an accident. So he doesn't need to drive around recording everyone just in case he has a crash.

I don't own a dash cam but there's scenarios where having a dash cam is very likely to assist with insurance claims. Whilst insurance is there for a reason, i.e. cover you in case something happens, I would prefer my insurance not to have to cover costs of an accident where I was not liable for said accident.

Some areas I can see why a dash cam would help:
  • Hit and runs when your car is stationary (if dash cam has the feature to auto record when it senses a knock)
  • Hit and runs when you're in the car and everything happens to quick that you can't catch the license plate
  • Identification of driver if they claim they were not driving the car
I doubt people are pouring through their dash cam footage at every opportunity for privacy to be an issue, rather they review the footage if they're involved in an accident.

@OP I don't know too much about dash cams but just having more clear video will negate the need for ANPR features. I'm confident the same physics of cameras/camcorders would apply in a dash cam through, i.e. biggest sensor size possible, fast lens, fast read out to reduce rolling shutter and the ability to tweak compression levels.

Soldato
Half an hour watching the (often bizarrely entertaining) dashcam compilations on YouTube will show you why dashcams owners have the stereotypes of being planks.

It's obviously a completely skewed perspective but you can't help wondering about the sheer volume of the clips that show the camera owners borderline deliberately having completely avoidable accidents because "It's on dash camera mate, it was my right of way", rather than just accepting some people drive like pricks and it's probably easier to just let them cut you up at the roundabout and forget about it.

Back
Top Bottom