Dashcams!

Soldato
Jesus Christ. Is that a test track or something? I see tyre walls and armco, but a junction?

Perhaps he was related to the driver of this one...

People like that should have a flashing light on the roof so we know to stay well clear.

Ill be honest, if I can see a visible dashcam in the windscreen, I am instantly wary. My rationale is that anyone who installs a dashcam for the genuine reasons of settling accident claims will want to install a camera and forget about it until needed, so will tuck it away. If i see a camera and wires dangling in the windscreen, that implies they've fitted it in such a way that it can be easily accessed regularly for angry Youtube uploads, so is likely to be one of those drivers going out of their way to justify some footage :D

Soldato
Ill be honest, if I can see a visible dashcam in the windscreen, I am instantly wary. My rationale is that anyone who installs a dashcam for the genuine reasons of settling accident claims will want to install a camera and forget about it until needed, so will tuck it away. If i see a camera and wires dangling in the windscreen, that implies they've fitted it in such a way that it can be easily accessed regularly for angry Youtube uploads, so is likely to be one of those drivers going out of their way to justify some footage :D

I've started to see a lot of them now with a screen on the back showing the camera's view. Is it legal to have that on while driving? I know that you can't play dvd's etc while driving but wasn't sure about real time video footage?

Associate
I've started to see a lot of them now with a screen on the back showing the camera's view. Is it legal to have that on while driving? I know that you can't play dvd's etc while driving but wasn't sure about real time video footage?
No its not. Most of them display for a few seconds if you tap a button on the camera, but it is not supposed to stay on permanent. I suppose some really cheapo Chinese models are the culprits.

Soldato

I think some people just have very low standards! I know people who have fit a dashcam as a backup and never touch it but their install skills are horrific - mounted really low with cables dangling all over the place, makes me cringe :S

Associate
Been reading up a bit about dash cams as I think it's a wise purchase these days. Loads of models on the market now but, without reading 108 pages, any stand out items to buy?

I'd like front and rear, plus a mode where I can see what dick dents my car when it's parked.

1080p is all good but not essential on both sides.

Anything worth getting/avoiding?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
My other half wants a dashcam for her car, I said I'd buy her one, whats a decent one to go for? Doesn't have to be top of the range but I want a decent one.

I'm not very up on whats good or not so any advice would be great! Ta.

Soldato
What do people think about a dashcam that goes over the rear view mirror? I like the inconspicuousness of one of these. Any thoughts on this one available from Amazon?

LESHP In Car Dash Cam 1080P Full HD Video Recorder DVR Dashboard Camera

£59.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Jesus, that RS3 crash.

Whats the analysis? Looks like he's going to fast, attempts to turn but ends up going straight? Or he forgot that he had normal road tyres on?

Quick bend before the junction unsettled the balance and physics took over. If that section was completely straight instead, then he'd likely have been able to slow down enough with those big RS brakes. Assume that he had no idea of that track layout!

Oh well, another Audi off the road :p

Soldato
Best bet is looking on YouTube for reviews, I recently bought a ddpai 2 (cylindrical one) and it’s pretty decent but still not as good as the 0806mini I bought a few years ago.

I prefer small and discrete so kinda limited choice wise, if you’re happier going bigger there are quite a few more options.

Soldato
My mini 0806 is playing up a bit at the moment.. it’s not saving every file. Is it likely down to a dodgy SD card? There were no protected files which is often the reason for files not overwriting.

Soldato
What do people think about a dashcam that goes over the rear view mirror? I like the inconspicuousness of one of these. Any thoughts on this one available from Amazon?

LESHP In Car Dash Cam 1080P Full HD Video Recorder DVR Dashboard Camera

£59.

Hey man, did you order this?
If not trust me your address and I'll post one to you.

Been sitting in a bag in my garage for about 1yr now doing nothing.

Back
Top Bottom