Dashcams!

Soldato
Yea it annoys me a little.

Had a trolly hit my car in a car park... The camera picked up the event but missed the time before it was supposed to record aswell.

Sometimes it takes a few mins to realise I'm driving and turn on.

Soldato
Anyone had a dashcam installed by halfords? Struggling to find someone to install one local but Halfords say they can do it?

I want it hardwired in so all I have to do is clip it in and out of the mount on the screen.

Associate
I just hardwired in a nextbase 412GW that i got for Christmas, it was very straight forward and could be done DIY by most people, the hardwired kit was very good and included all the cables and fuses etc.

I was able to tuck the cable into the headlining and A pillar down to the fuse box without having to take anything apart (Skoda Fabia), will probably end up doing the same on my golf so i can interchange it.

Underboss
well got my Thinkware f800 Pro installed last week and boy is it great but i have a problem lol the picture quality is pretty fuzzy.... though could be me not changing a setting, ;) will have to look into it :) also the motion is not very smooth being only 30fps :/

That doesent sound right, the F800 is the latest model, i have the F770 and i have had no problems with it whatsoever

Soldato
Anyone had a dashcam installed by halfords? Struggling to find someone to install one local but Halfords say they can do it?

I want it hardwired in so all I have to do is clip it in and out of the mount on the screen.

Halfords did my 312GW (yes I'm lazy). Left the car with them for 45 minutes and did some shopping in town. Came back and all was done and nice and tidy.

Soldato
I just hardwired in a nextbase 412GW that i got for Christmas, it was very straight forward and could be done DIY by most people, the hardwired kit was very good and included all the cables and fuses etc.

I was able to tuck the cable into the headlining and A pillar down to the fuse box without having to take anything apart (Skoda Fabia), will probably end up doing the same on my golf so i can interchange it.

Tempted to have a go myself but I'll likely end up burning the car down or something.

Halfords did my 312GW (yes I'm lazy). Left the car with them for 45 minutes and did some shopping in town. Came back and all was done and nice and tidy.

Its a matter of time and patience for me, plus I'd probably stick it int he wrong fuse and burn the car down or wonder why its cutting out on the motorway.

How does the mount attach to the screen, some sort of 3m mega sticky pad? Did halfords just tuck the wire in the headlining or do something else?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Installed the cam today, its visible up close. But, its not as bad, as I thought a bit further away. I'll do some pics from the inside, it took me around 15 min to install it, the pillar due to my DAB antenna was a bit resistant. But got there in the end... lol Its nicely out of the view from the inside too, as the rearview mirror blocks it. I can still access the adjusters and controls though. :)
IMG_20180102_094522.jpg

Associate
I don't know if the situation has changed, but when I worked at Halfords out of school, we were sent out to fit stereos etc. with no more training than watching someone else do it once or twice. I wouldn't let them top up my washer fluid.

Soldato
My wife had an adult Halfords expert replace her rear lightbulb, he cracked the housing and solved the problem by covering it up. What a gentleman.

Wouldn’t touch with a barge pole, they may be ok with generic cars that they’ve come across before but once they become stuck you can only guess how they’ll solve problems, it won’t be pretty/safe.

Soldato
if you're happy with some broken trim clips and rattly interior after they had a go feel free, otherwise I'd say avoid and not to risk it :) simply because you dont know who you're going to get.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I can't comment on your experience, but the fitter that installed my dashcam was most definitely an adult :)
Bad way of thinking, at my previous job I had to fix a lot of stuff (especially server based) after they made it worse... I was 18 at the time.

But I agree, a lot people my age are incompetent when it comes to doing something themselves. :)

Soldato
It's the first time I've used Halfords to actually fit anything, but I can't complain about their workmanship. Most basic things I'd probably have a go at myself, but I just didn't feel like spending the time or effort to work out what I needed to do as I'm not interested or inclined to do much vehicular maintenance. Halfords did it for me and the fitter did the job I asked to a good standard as far as I can see. Nothing rattles and it looks tidy. YMMV.

Soldato
Soldato
I bought this dashcam
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KZ0J452/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

recently when it starts up sometimes it has a menu overlayed on the screen asking if I want to use it for mass storage, presumably it is on its way out ?
I bought the model that had a capacitor rather than a battery which was supposed to resolve some sort of issue that previous battery models had.
I would be checking to see if it is genuine, several reviews from google suggesting fakes are being sold even through Amazon.
Andi.

Back
Top Bottom