Dashcams!

Soldato
Looking to change our dash cam, using an F100 front-rear right now and the picture is poor, i've never been able to read a number plate unless we're sat in stationary traffic.

Am i expecting too much? or do i need to spend more?

Soldato
Does anyone know which screwdriver I need to undo the screws on an Aukey Dashcam dual? They're absolutely tiny cross-head / Phillips. And I put in a SD card wrong and it's dropped inside.

Soldato

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Back in 2016 I sent in a piece of footage form the M25 where a lorry cut me up to one of those compilation channels. Yes this happens to everyone, yes I know it should never have left the memory card, yes it was a phase like HDR when you're new to photography :D

Fast forward to this week and I get inboxed by someone from the BBC who is part of a documentary about HGV drivers using their phones or driving without care and attention. They found my details and wanted to know if they could feature that clip in one of the episodes. I explained that we all make mistakes and the clip should never have been uploaded in the first place. But for the purpose of their docu, I could allow them to use the clip if the reg number and any identifying markers were blurred from the vehicle. They agreed to this and I signed the release.

I feel this is fair. It keeps everyone satisfied, and helps highlight an issue the programme is supposed to talk about.

The programme is A1: Britain's longest road and starts Monday 30th April.

If they do use the clip, you'll know which one because
DASHCAMOMG.jpg
can be heard :p

Edit* Programme...

Soldato
Fitted the F770 yesterday and it turns out the WiFi doesn't work unless you're in the car with the ignition on, wtf?

What an utterly pointless feature if you need to physically have to get in the vehicle to access the video, if the spec had included this minor detail we wouldn't have bothered with it.

Man of Honour
Having had a crazy block me off, try to open my door and then punch the window in (unsuccessfully), I wouldn't mind a dashcam. Are there any decent offerings that don't require wires? I know nothing about these. Suggestions welcome :)

Soldato
Having had a crazy block me off, try to open my door and then punch the window in (unsuccessfully), I wouldn't mind a dashcam. Are there any decent offerings that don't require wires? I know nothing about these. Suggestions welcome :)

So far as I am aware, there are no dashcams on the market that do not require at least one wire running to them to supply power. The unwritten standard connector appears to have become a mini-USB cable. It supplies power (5V)and can be used communicate with the camera.

You have the choice of either simply connecting them to the 12V cigarette/power socket of the car via a little 12V-5V adapter, (generally supplied with the camera) or hard wiring them into the car. This is much easier than it sounds, you simply buy a little 12v-5V converter and fit a piggy back fuse somewhere in the fuse box. If you ask around on the appropriate forums for your car, chances someone will know which fuse to choose and the easiest way to go about it. (there are tons of how-to's) on YouTube.

Camera wise you pays your money and you makes your choice. Generally the more expensive the camera the more features. What I would say is that what you really want is one that produces a reasonable image, you're not filming an on screen epic! It's easy to fall into buying a feature laden camera, where 90% of the stuff will never get used once the novelty has worn off. Many cameras now come with WiFi which does make its easier to view recordings and adjust settings. GPS can also be a handy feature. Things like parking-mode might also be handy.

Have a little look on YouTube for the

VioFo A119S,
DDpai mini 2
BlueSkySea B1W.
Anker Roav C1 Pro

They are all eBay sourced, sub £100 cameras, that do well in reviews. Failing that Halford's now have a reasonable range of cameras. NextBase, Garmin, BlackVue, etc. I think they now offer to install them for £30 ish.

Last edited:
Underboss

the only suggestion i can give, if you really do not want any wires, is an action camera, like a GO PRO, unless you want something to work when your not there, then a go pro will only last a short time, in this case you would need wires

Associate
the only suggestion i can give, if you really do not want any wires, is an action camera, like a GO PRO, unless you want something to work when your not there, then a go pro will only last a short time, in this case you would need wires

Just a heads up,I wouldn’t recommend a GO PRO.I used a SILVER version on my dashboard and in summer it overheated and did a safety cut out.

Soldato
I'm soon to be getting a newish bmw 3.

I think I should add the protection of a dashcam. I am particularly worried about the car being damaged or keyed when parked. So I want cameras that remain awake when the engine is off.

What would you recommend me (I assume I need front and rear).

Underboss
one thing i will suggest, if your travelling short journeys now and again, get a back up battery, like a Cellink B, this will make your dashcams run of this battery rather than draining your main battery

I use Thinkware F770, my brother uses BlackVue (i actually like the set of the blackVues better)

Back
Top Bottom