Dashcams!

Soldato
Finally got around to a discreet install of the YI mini dash but the 3m mount wasn't so discreet being grey so I coloured it in black!

33903242.jpg

33903242.jpg

Is there any way of getting some vinyl to make it even more discreet? Like this:

33903242.jpg

Soldato
@DarkShadow.

Just finishing off installing my Viofo A119Pro, this afternoon. I've pretty much placed mine in the same spot you have yours mounted, just on the other side of the mirror. My Polo already has a dotted-hatch pattern printed on the screen behind the mirror so it hides it a little. I've had to mount it a tad lower than I would have liked, just to be sure the camera looks though a portion of the windscreen that fully swept by the wipers.

You could always buy a roll of black 3M VHB tape and simply replace the grey. I would imagine if you have a local sign writer they may well be able to cut you a vinyl template of some description. I suppose it may be possible to have a vinyl 'tint' cut. It's just a matter of drawing up a mask outline that looks like it came out of the factory and not something that looks like it was knocked up on 'Blue Peter.'

That said I suspect with where it's mounted within a day or so you won't even notice it. I struggled more hiding the wire completely so as to keep it all neat and OEM looking.

Last edited:
Soldato
@DarkShadow.

Just finishing off installing my Viofo A119Pro, this afternoon. I've pretty much placed mine in the same spot you have yours mounted, just on the other side of the mirror. My Polo already has a dotted-hatch pattern printed on the screen behind the mirror so it hides it a little. I've had to mount it a tad lower than I would have liked, just to be sure the camera looks though a portion of the windscreen that fully swept by the wipers.

You could always buy a roll of black 3M VHB tape and simply replace the grey. I would imagine if you have a local sign writer they may well be able to cut you a vinyl template of some description. I suppose it may be possible to have a vinyl 'tint' cut. It's just a matter of drawing up a mask outline that looks like it came out of the factory and not something that looks like it was knocked up on 'Blue Peter.'

That said I suspect with where it's mounted within a day or so you won't even notice it. I struggled more hiding the wire completely so as to keep it all neat and OEM looking.
Thanks, I'll look into those options.

What car do you have and have you used trim tools? It was particularly difficult, the only challenge was the a-pillar clip was a real PITA to put back on.

Soldato
Thanks, I'll look into those options.

What car do you have and have you used trim tools? It was particularly difficult, the only challenge was the a-pillar clip was a real PITA to put back on.

I run a 2011 Polo Tsi. Fortunately I have a set of trim removal tools that I bought on whim about 4 years back, just because they were cheap. I think this is only the second time I've used them. I found that I didn't need to remove the 'A' pillar trim on mine. I just eased them out at the top and it was enough to let the wire drop into the gap behind the trim. I had to fight a little to tuck the wires out of sight behind the headlining. Towards each end there was plenty of room to tuck it out of the way. In the centre section it was quite tight so I just used a trim tool to ease the gap. I think if you'd have done one before you would have easily done it in 10 mins. Because I'd never done one before and didn't want to break or mark any of the trim it took me about an hour, LOL.

I've just been looking at the Viofo site and it looks like they have just introduced a new dual channel camera, The A129 Duo. Sods law reigns, If I had known they were planning a dual channel model I would have waited for that to land.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just been looking at the Viofo site and it looks like they have just introduced a new dual channel camera, The A129 Duo. Sods law reigns, If I had known they were planning a dual channel model I would have waited for that to land.
That sucks man.

With the price of these wedges cams dropping, it would make sense to pick up a cheap one for the rear. Those that picked up the YI mini for £27 was an absolutely bargain. The quality is the best in its price bracket. Hopefully it still works out cheaper for you.

Soldato
:)

Such is life. I'm really quite pleased with my little VioFo. There are always good arguments on both sides for paying a little more or going a bit cheaper. It's just a matter of finding something that you are happy with. The Viofo A129 Duo literally popped up on their website Monday morning. At first glance it looks an interesting alternative to some of the more expensive dual-channel camera set-ups.

Are you still looking to mask it a little more, or are you getting used to it anyway?

Soldato
:)

Such is life. I'm really quite pleased with my little VioFo. There are always good arguments on both sides for paying a little more or going a bit cheaper. It's just a matter of finding something that you are happy with. The Viofo A129 Duo literally popped up on their website Monday morning. At first glance it looks an interesting alternative to some of the more expensive dual-channel camera set-ups.

Are you still looking to mask it a little more, or are you getting used to it anyway?
I'll be holding on now, it doesn't bother me, it's more so to keep discreet on the outside. If I get any vinyl work done (intend to chrome delete) I'll probably follow this up then :)

Soldato
Hi Guys

Mother & father in-law (Who is disabled but can drive with an adapted car) had an accident last week (shunt from behind they through them into the car in front, both are fine just some whiplash) on the M25 Sunday mid morning. I had installed the below and an 8GB micro SD car, its created a load of ".MOV" file but how do I read them on a windows or Apple Mac please :)
E-PRANCE® New G1W Novatek 2.7" Car Dashcamera Driving Recorder + 1920*1080P 30FPS + G-sensor + Car License Plate + MOV + 120 Degree Wide Angle Lens + Night Vision + H.264 + 32GB Memory Card Color Black

Soldato
This is what I get using Windows media player on windows 10

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

The below is all I see, appears 2 of the files play for XX amount of seconds but the other fail

FfbHOAo.png

Last edited:
Underboss
has anyone got an external battery pack for their Thinkware ?

all i can say is, i need one!
dont wait to spend £200 but i dont think i got a lot of choice (due to my circumstances)

which one to get ? (thinkware ivolt or Cellink or other ?)
currently thinking of getting a Cellink, but cant find the official website, so i'm unsure what the latest model is , is the Cellink Neo 6 the latest one ?

Back
Top Bottom