Dashcams!

Soldato
The files themselves don't look right to me. How big should each one be (in minutes)?
Not sure really, this is the first Dash Cam I've had a play with, there are no times next to the other files which makes me think they might be corrupt :(

Just trying to convert some to another format and see if they can play on my Macbook

Soldato
I always save my cards to my PC - just created a few folders on one of the other HDD's - On my front camera each file is MP4 and are 20mb lasting one minute -- rear camera was saved as MOV but just changed the default player to VLC (it worked ok on other format) and these are 360mb files now showing as VLC and lasting 5 min.

I have no idea what resolution I have cameras set at - I think front one (Roadhawk) isn't set at full HD - something like 720

Soldato
I don't mean to sound like a d*ck, but did you not test it before installing it? Was there a point that you could take working video off it?

Again, state the obvious, but are there any other folders to check in?

Soldato
I don't mean to sound like a d*ck, but did you not test it before installing it? Was there a point that you could take working video off it?

Again, state the obvious, but are there any other folders to check in?
No its a good shout, I did test twice as you can see by the time next to the file post, however it seems that when I hit the record again it didn't seem to work again :(

Sounds like the files are corrupt.
Yes I'm starting to get that feeling, I wanted to see what happened in the shunt but as the other driver went into the back of them I think it automatically falls on them

Thanks gents

Soldato
Did you format the card in the dashcam, no idea if that really makes a difference but many advise to do this.

I would try and at least copy the entire contents of the card over to a PC to see if you can even copy the files, if the file copy fails then it could point towards the card being/going bad.

Soldato
This is what I get using Windows media player on windows 10

The below is all I see, appears 2 of the files play for XX amount of seconds but the other fail

FfbHOAo.png

That just looks wrong. Why are all your files no longer than a minute in length? ( yeah I know you can set the interval, but 1min seems odd) Plus even though they all look like they are a minute or less, the files sizes are all over the place. My little VioFo uses MP4 file format, set to 3 minute time slices and all the files are the same size, give or take 1-2KB. Advice that came with camera was to format the card before use and to format it at intervals after that. (or are the files from 2015! the ones that work?)

I'd format the card first as it costs nowt, failing that try a different card, Dashcams are quite hard on cards anyway so you should be using something halfway decent. (Sandisk Ultra's are known to be problematic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QAF2flNsVc

Might be worth checking to see if there are any firmware updates for the camera itself.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you format the card in the dashcam, no idea if that really makes a difference but many advise to do this.

I would try and at least copy the entire contents of the card over to a PC to see if you can even copy the files, if the file copy fails then it could point towards the card being/going bad.

That screen shot is from my windows laptop, and I formatted the SD card whilst it was in the device itself but good call

That just looks wrong. Why are all your files no longer than a minute in length? ( yeah I know you can set the interval, but 1min seems odd) Plus even though they all look like they are a minute or less, the files sizes are all over the place. My little VioFo uses MP4 file format, set to 3 minute time slices and all the files are the same size, give or take 1-2KB. Advice that came with camera was to format the card before use and to format it at intervals after that. (or are the files from 2015! the ones that work?)

I'd format the card first as it costs nowt, failing that try a different card, Dashcams are quite hard on cards anyway so you should be using something halfway decent. (Sandisk Ultra's are known to be problematic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QAF2flNsVc

Might be worth checking to see if there are any firmware updates for the camera itself.
TBH it was a bit of a rush, father in law left it til the last minute to ask me to install it so I had like 15 mins to set it up and install the SD card etc, I will check if the camera needs a firmware update once they are back from their holiday

I agree the sizes are all over the place, I should really sit down and set it up correctly so I understand all settings

Thanks again

Soldato
@iMacMart

I'd recommend downloading some sort of video converter, i.e. Xilisoft Video Converter is what I've used in the past, and converting to MP4. Make a complete folder copy of the files first and try converting the copy.

I have previously had a very similar issue that you're seeing where VLC would play a couple of seconds then go black. Even dropping them into Vegas Pro didn't play them properly until I got some codecs on there.

Could also try Quicktime player.

Soldato
I've made a boo-boo and ordered a hard wire kit with a mini usb rather than micro. Are there any issues regarding a long length of USB cable?

I'm planning to use the cable that comes with the dash cam and then an adapter to connect it to the hard wire kit. It will be annoying having to hide that much cable but will I experience any other issues?

Soldato
I've made a boo-boo and ordered a hard wire kit with a mini usb rather than micro. Are there any issues regarding a long length of USB cable?

I'm planning to use the cable that comes with the dash cam and then an adapter to connect it to the hard wire kit. It will be annoying having to hide that much cable but will I experience any other issues?

Nope, wouldn't have thought so. It's just power after all, no data involved.

Have done some kits for family/friends with one of them being about 10ft of cable I'm sure.

Soldato
One of the problems I have (hopefully had) is draining the battery because the aux socket is always live. I've just bought this power cable which plugs into the OBD port and will cut power when the battery goes down sufficiently. We'll see.

Soldato
Nope, wouldn't have thought so. It's just power after all, no data involved.

Have done some kits for family/friends with one of them being about 10ft of cable I'm sure.

Thank you, it wasn't neat but it worked just fine. Luckily it was in my 2nd car so happier to jam the cables in to an unknown hole :D

Soldato
Soldato
Bought myself a Yi DashCam. Unfortunately, I didn't have it setup to record the **** of lorry driver that nearly took me out the motorway this morning when they decided to change over 2 lanes without checking their mirrors/blind spots. Will definitely take the time to set it up tonight.

Caporegime
Picked up a Yi Mini Dashcam, the cable was perfect for running inside the A pillar, behind the glovebox and tucked in to the centre console so I could make use of the rear 12v socket. Handy as it'll start recording as soon as I unlock the car and the socket stays powered 15 mins after the car is locked. Can't even see if from the driver's seat. Overall, satisfied for £40.

REtcq6Jl.jpg

gwExcZzl.jpg

lYYdO3cl.jpg

Quality is fine, I can pull numberplates from stills which is all you want really. It's pointed down as much as possible but still has a lot of sky, I've emailed them asking if they're making a mount with an angle which will point it down more for cars with raked screens.

Back
Top Bottom