Dashcams!

Soldato
Anyone know of dual front camera system?

Say a single wide angle like all dashcams seem to be, and another that is a more focused narrow angle camera that focuses purely on the lane in front of you so it's better for number plates etc.

Soldato
Picked up a Yi Mini Dashcam, the cable was perfect for running inside the A pillar, behind the glovebox and tucked in to the centre console so I could make use of the rear 12v socket. Handy as it'll start recording as soon as I unlock the car and the socket stays powered 15 mins after the car is locked. Can't even see if from the driver's seat. Overall, satisfied for £40.

Quality is fine, I can pull numberplates from stills which is all you want really. It's pointed down as much as possible but still has a lot of sky, I've emailed them asking if they're making a mount with an angle which will point it down more for cars with raked screens.

Where did you get it from?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a dashcam for a while and after an extremely close call with a suicidal biker the other night it's kicked me into gear to get it sorted.

Caporegime
Where did you get it from?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a dashcam for a while and after an extremely close call with a suicidal biker the other night it's kicked me into gear to get it sorted.

It was from amazon but doesn't seem to be available any more :( You can get it from the official YI store on ali express.

Underboss
Nextbase created a portal where videos showing nefarious actions on the road can be submitted.

https://www.nextbase.co.uk/national-dash-cam-safety-portal/

Some police forces have fully integrated into the site, for those that haven't then you'll get a redirect. Still useful either way though as you don't have to go hunting for the correct links to upload your videos.

good on them!
we need a website that we can upload incidents, where all police forces use them and can view them on a regular basis

like today, waiting to turn right at the round about, clear right, two lanes coming towards me to the roundabout. lorry coming towards me (turning left) stopped as he saw me turning right, car came flying out of nowhere instead of stopping like the lorry did, he carried on as if he didn't see me, centimetres from his door from making an emergency stop, used my horn but he just carried on completely oblivious what he did wrong, what a tool

Soldato
like today, waiting to turn right at the round about, clear right, two lanes coming towards me to the roundabout. lorry coming towards me (turning left) stopped as he saw me turning right, car came flying out of nowhere instead of stopping like the lorry did, he carried on as if he didn't see me, centimetres from his door from making an emergency stop, used my horn but he just carried on completely oblivious what he did wrong, what a tool
My one the other night I was on the dual carriageway doing 70 on cruise. Was about 9:30pm so basically empty. I was overtaking a truck and about half way alongside it I saw a bike coming up behind me closing fast (must have been doing at least 90). I put the foot down a bit, indicate to move over and start changing lanes just as the bike came up behind me. He only went and ******* undertook me as I changed lanes!!! I lost sight of him as he went round the back of my car and I honestly thought I'd hit him, heart was going like the clappers. I swerved back into lane 2, truck was on the horn, bike was on the horn then he went off into the distance (in his trackies with someone riding pillion). Hope whoever was on the back of the bike gave his mate a proper good hiding when they stopped, could have both died. Heart didn't calm down for quite a while after.. Wonder if the truck had it on camera

It was from amazon but doesn't seem to be available any more :( You can get it from the official YI store on ali express.

Thanks. Will have one waiting when I get back off holiday

Associate
Anyone know of dual front camera system?

Say a single wide angle like all dashcams seem to be, and another that is a more focused narrow angle camera that focuses purely on the lane in front of you so it's better for number plates etc.

No need with a 1080p camera as they pick up the reg numbers with ease. Only a cheap or older one will struggle now technology has got much better.

Associate
just found this on Dashcams and memory cards :

https://www.carcamcentral.com/guide/recommended-sd-cards-avoid-sandisk-ultra-cards

I've been trying to get a 128Gb card for my thinkware, and i noticed a lot of people were saying the Sandisk Extreme V30 seems to work
anyone use a 128Gb ?

My Sandisk Ultra is 3years old and still going strong and that is good for any card that is being used constantly 24/7 with parking mode . I suspect the failures they refer to are the cheap Chinese forged ones.

Back
Top Bottom