Dashcams!

Caporegime
At the risk of bumping my own post anyone have any thoughts on this lot?

VIOFO 4K Dual Dash Cam A129 Pro Duo:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RZP8K3Y/

Thinkware Q800 Pro:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PBJHFXT/

Thinkware U1000 4K:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WRS6Z2X

I have about £70 in gift card balance so happy to drop that on something a bit 'better' if the Viofo isn't recommended.

I've got an A129 duo, just the normal one, seems fine - I think the 4k isn't worth the extra and will actually have worse image quality in the dark because of the sensor size/amount of pixels and there's the matter of needing more storage and possible overheating.

I went with that one because I liked the form factor, I can't see it from the driver's seat because of the mirror/plastic cover for the gps/headlight/wiper sensors etc.

Soldato
Is the Nextbase 522GW the popular one to go for? It's up for £199 at Halfords for front and rear and fitting is £55. Never had anything done at Halfords and read negative things about them but has anyone had the dash cam fitting done by them?

Associate
Is the Nextbase 522GW the popular one to go for? It's up for £199 at Halfords for front and rear and fitting is £55. Never had anything done at Halfords and read negative things about them but has anyone had the dash cam fitting done by them?
I had my Garmin fitted by Halfords in Aberdeen. Top job and 2 years later not had a single issue with it or the fitting.

Underboss
Guys I would like some help please, I'm having major problems with my dashcam now

ill copy and paste it from another forum as the other forum hasn't got many members (or active members)

where to buy Cellink neo 9, 12v battery cable?

Jan 27,
As i don't have one, i need to test my battery and so im trying to buy the cig lighter power cable to the cellink neo

any idea where to buy one ? im googling for ages....

Jan27,
well, I've just ordered an XT60 female with 14awg cable attached and a cig lighter power plug
hopefully that will do

Feb 1,
UPDATE

Got the bits i needed yesterday, so i made up a cable
XT60 female to cig lighter plug

put it in the car today, switched over to 9v
and it works

just need to re check the 12v "other lead" again sometime

i did email Egen, but no response

Feb 16,
ok, so the 12A (hardwired) will not charge the Cellink
it says "charging" then switches off, app even says "not used"

back to 9A and that works fine

so im going to buy another one to test if the 12A charges up the new one or not

after charging the car with 9A setting via cig lighter, i left the car for 2 days, came back and it swill said 100% charged , got to work, still said 100%

i switched to 12A, come out of work, dead battery ! (Cellink not my main)
switched back to 9A and its charging again ?

faulty battery i think

Feb 17,
so i bought a neo 6

before i try it, would it work if i connected the neo 9 to the neo 6 ?

Feb 18,
put the neo 6 in this morning just before starting work, seemed to charge ok on the 12v "high" setting

was 67%, then come out of work, and it was totally flat (after 9 hours) which seems odd, but it was charging ok coming home though ..

Feb 21,
so after work Saturday i fully charged it to 97%, then left the car until Monday morning

got in car, camera not working, checked Cellink Neo 6 and it says "fully Charged" ?
so i switched it OFF, then back on to HIGH (and i checked LOW) camera then comes on, but the Cellink is still saying fully Charged ?

so went to work, left it all day, come out, same thing, camera not working, but cellink says Fully Charged ???

have i got 2 Faulty cellinks now ?

Underboss
so following on from my problems above,

as it stands now

been working fine for ages, i have a thinkware Q800 pro hardwired to a Battery pack , which is a cellink neo
parking mode / continuous mode all been great

until recently,

i get in the car, turn engine on, camera not coming on, switch the battery pack off and then on, camera comes on , into continuous mode
turn engine off, camera turns off, does not switch over to parking mode

checked settings in camera, nothing changed, all set up properly

any ideas ?

Soldato
The dashcam has been installed. Only took about 20 minutes and they’ve done a great job, I can’t even see where they’ve put the cable other than the bit going down to the cam. The rear cam works surprisingly well too - it’s a decent solution for a soft top. I’ve connected it up to the app, updated the firmware and have set up parking mode.

Hey CaptainRAVE - how's the 522GW going? Been looking for a new dashcam set (front and rear facing) since getting a Skoda Octavia and wondered how you'd gotten on since having it fitted back in January??

Man of Honour
Hey CaptainRAVE - how's the 522GW going? Been looking for a new dashcam set (front and rear facing) since getting a Skoda Octavia and wondered how you'd gotten on since having it fitted back in January??

It’s been pretty much flawless. I’ve been able to go back to find and download any desired footage. The quality has been great even during the dark winter nights. My only minor gripe would be that it is somewhat slow if you want to download footage wirelessly onto your phone. The rear facing camera has been surprisingly effective too. I had some concerns reading some reviews posted online, but can’t say I’ve experienced any major issues.

Soldato
Just gonna bump this - Mum wants a front and rear dashcam -£400 budget for both. Car is parked in a secure car park overnight so more for when parked out and about. As little maintenance as possible (IE don't need to format the SD card etc regularly).

Recommendations?

Many thanks.

Soldato
Just gonna bump this - Mum wants a front and rear dashcam -£400 budget for both. Car is parked in a secure car park overnight so more for when parked out and about. As little maintenance as possible (IE don't need to format the SD card etc regularly).

Recommendations?

Many thanks.
you'll either need it linked to a battery pack OR ghard wired to the main battery as well on the assumption you'll want it running all night so... just bear in mind... drainage and things like that!

Soldato
Folks, can anyone suggest a very small and unobtrusive Dashcam for rear facing use?

I have a front facing one fitted to my BMW Z4 but want to mount one facing the rear, located somewhere around the roll bar area near where the wind deflector sits. Would like it to look unobtrusive if possible.

Cheers.

Soldato
I've got the 522GW fitted in one car but need a mount for our other car, can anyone recommend a mount? I need one for tomorrow if possible but left it to the last minute as usual so the only place is gonna be amazon at this late stage, Halfords didn't have any in store.

Permabanned
I've got the 522GW fitted in one car but need a mount for our other car, can anyone recommend a mount? I need one for tomorrow if possible but left it to the last minute as usual so the only place is gonna be amazon at this late stage, Halfords didn't have any in store.
Did you not get 2 mounts with it? One should attach via a 3m pad for a more permanent fixing and one on a sucker so it can be easily removed.

Back
Top Bottom