***Dayz: Stand Alone Thread***

Soldato
Standalone is the worst alpha game i've played, the timing is 1 year out and Rocket needs to stop climbing mountains and sort this POS out.

If it was released 1 year ago in this state (loot/zombies/hackers) then it would have been bearable, but to release it so late in the day when the mod has progressed so far is terminal.

I can smell a flop

Soldato
Its nothing to do with that for myself, one of the major reasons for starting a server was I was fed up with ghosting, fed up with skiddies and there were certain directions I wanted and was able to take the mod in for my personal opinion on what the game should be, not all of us are bad. In the most popular mod (Epoch) they are using (and I'm credited for it) parts of my code and my idea for the nametags.

Private hives and public modding is why DayZ is where it is today. By restricting it they are only choking themselves.

If DayZ released an MMO business model, where there was a sustainable income and they could provide the level of service decent private hive communities provide then there would be no need for us and we'd be happy to play on the public servers knowing that genuine issues can be resolved still.

However the issue remains that no matter how big the server slots are, they will never be able to provide a place for entire communities to play like you can in EQ2/WoW/GW2 just because the server won't handle it and there isnt enough space for tents/vehicles/belongings ect without instancing these things. You could argue that you could use one server to store stuff and server hop with your friends but why should you have to risk jumping on a server where timmy the 12 year old can just ban you when ever he wants? Thats why you have loyal regulars in communties because they like the way its done.

It has nothing to do with making money but for a private hive to function well it requires decent hardware and its not cheap, people like to help out with this and private hive owners actually work on their communities for free. Some communities take a cut (we don't) sure but if people are so concerned with this, why don't they run their own versions without donations and perks? Because for a server to be successful it needs to be popular.

The DayZ mod was popular when it first come out and people had to change it up to keep people interested, this is how the game evolved from more scripts to more cars to loadouts ect ect. Its evolution of the game. I love the hardcore games but for a game to be popular it has to have enough casual play to it to attract more people. Look at BF2:pR - That game is dying because people don't like how rough it is at times, they want to respawn and run around like its CoD.

Why rocket and co arent interested in cashing in on it is beyond me, people are happy enough to donate to private unknown servers, imagine how much revenue the DayZ model could generate on honest terms by just providing a CS system by selling hats and fluff stuff or a monthly subscription.

Its not like there are people out there that have zero experience with the game so it could be started very easily and there would be a sea of people who could fill these roles.

Exploitation of databases, admins spawning stuff in and banning people wrongly are an issue in terrible communities and for the most part they die quickly, some of us have standards. To avoid this it would have to be controlled by the owners of the game, with this it requires that there is a system to deal with player experience bugs and while kicking and banning is coming, if they want it to be so locked down then they shouldn't expect their customers to pay to not be able to fully deal with the issues that they themselves will not help us sort out.

You'll also never get rid of the conspiracy theorists that think anyone that doesn't have a known company name attached must be cheating in some way.

What I'm trying to say I guess is that DayZ requires a level of customer service to run smoothly and it requires an unbiased customer service team to regulate this. While private communities are happy to do this, you'll struggle to find a neutral admin team that doesn't let 'beefs' get in the way, I like to think we are an exception, MGT is another. Even in paid for customer service roles you'll have the same types of people, what was the MMO where the CS agent went rogue and teleported random people into a volcano before quitting, was it EQ1? I can't remember but I do remember reading about it and there are no doubt loads of other unsolved issues by paid CS agents because they were fed up, people are human.

The problem is for a dedicated, unbiased CS team for games like this, on this size scale, requires them to be employed for real money, something your average private hive community will never be able to do but a big company like BI has the potential to do.. whether they do it or not, is the question.

Associate
The game is a great, obviously if you're upset about loot and zombie spawns and you want to enjoy the game once it's in a stable condition then you should have been smart enough to wait for the final release. So far we've had 2 patches within a couple of days and it's not going to stop there.

Caporegime
tbh the alpha is pretty solid playable and not far off a beta.

its got lots of things the mod hasnt and its early days. some things you say toe are true but admins tools should be basic like in any other game with no chance of explotation. that should be left to the anticheat people and games makers . leaving it upto people who can sell items for donations is only going to end in 100 percent abuse !

servers for dayz arnt the cheapest but they arent what some people have coming in either ;) server more than capable 80 a month ! when you see people with 300 plus a month it doesnt take a genius to see they are profitting from selling gear.

as said this is real reason 90 percent of groups will be mad because they going to lose a lot of money profitting from a admin tool or selling gear that they dont even have rights to sell !

people did many years ago have servers up for many games and still do! ive done it myself with others our server bill was 300 plus a month at some clans and it was covered by us alone not selling gear so you can benefit.thats not helping communities its filling your pockets.

so lets not say its for covering costs it isnt.

at end of day atleast in alpha theres going to be no tools or limited. so those with big groups will have to have a sort out.

Soldato
Hah that shows your age on CPC with mentioning stoned clan, they never came back and left without a trace. They kept bugging me to put up the video of them crashing a c130 into the admin event (and missing) but I never got chance to and then had to format :( I wonder if it was this reason. Who knows.

:D I missed those guys when they left, they were not the best pvp clan but I would give them 10/10 for effort. Hows the cpc server going these ToeJam?

Soldato
To be perfectly honest, I am feeling the same way that I did when I first played dayz last year, well before it was popular.. The feeling of exploration is there, the unknowing, the sense of surprise when you see something for the first time, all back again and it feels great.

To me, dayz was never about building this or that, it was about surviving, feeling your way through the county side, having unexpected encounters with randoms (good or bad). Everything about what made the mod great is there in spades. The only issue I can see is how the community will react, will it go the same way as the mod, ie kill on sight, or will it be the early days where 99% of people tried to be friendly...

If the major streamers and you tubers have anything to do with it, then every one will be pew pew again as that is all they seem to do.. Hopefully people will see sense and try to interact with others before killing them...

On a more positive note, the future is as bright as it was 19 months ago or so, every day/week we are going to get new updates, features etc that will hopefully keep us entertained.. One ing I do hope for, would be a another island, not utes that you can get too from chern. Think of the possibilities that would bring up..

Now I just need my new PSU delivered to get back onto the servers...:(

Dayz is looking good for the near future at least, well until it falls into the hands of private server which access public hive...

Last edited:
Soldato
I do agree that given how long they had I was expecting a bit more content but having said that the guys on TS and myself are all having fun playing this.

Found a guy at the north west airfield with nothing so after taking his blood we left him with a pistol and some ammo. About 45 mins later I ran into him again, he proceeds to take all his gear off while asking us to kill him as he is starving. We did the only thing would could...gave him our food, took him to a water source, set up an IV line and pumped him full of saline solution! Hopefully he will find us all later and kill us!

Caporegime
it is very refreshing at the moment and it does feel like it should.

shouldnt be tanks helis planes and all that crap keep it basic and make things work perfectly that are ingame. it wont appeal to cod kings but it will appeal to the core players who want this kind of experience ;)

Soldato
Everyone I have met in game so far just tries to kill me on sight, I spent like 3 hours running north the other day and managed to get some decent clothes, backpack, food, water, etc

Then they wiped it a few hours later so I don't really feel like doing the whole exploring thing again atm :p

What is refreshing about it though? It just feels like the mod did.

Associate
Yeah, if you're sick and give somebody a transfusion, you'll make them ill too. Not sure about AIDS though, only person I've met in DayZ with that is Witcher and he's not smart enough to operate a blood kit so I think people are safe.

lol BTW cheers for help last night.

Soldato
If there is any monetization of the game it should be done through the company that owns the game, which hopefully isn't going to disappear the next day. I actually dont have a problem with people making money but if they make money and people invest time into the server and that server disappears, its a bit of a kick in the teeth. This can even happen with public community, public hived, hosted servers, which is **** when they have tents/vehicles on there that the server just goes offline for what ever reason. Thats not how an MMO works, imagine if one of the big WoW servers was like this and just decided to shag off.

Just for the record here, the CPC site is £120, which is 105 for the server then theres 4 or 5 quid depending on exchange rates for the site and then I think its 12 or 15 for the backup storage which I'm looking at changing, its good to have a backup that you can see past versions of files which dropbox offers, its saved us a couple of times with hardware issues :) With extra donations we've been able to purchase more slots for teamspeak, programs and security server side after some serious security issues happened a while back (again, MGT had the same issue so they know all about it) and countless other ones to keep the server automated and running smoothly. Everything goes back into the server in some way or another. Then ontop of that, paypal always takes its cut and anything short by renewal day, I make up the rest or the extra we get in, goes towards that.

We've had a few snidy situations aswell with chargebacks from people we havent had issues with, maybe money problems IRL or drunken donations. These sorts of things don't help at all but I'm not going to detail everything :)

If you look at the leaderboards on our website, you'll see there are over 1500 unique ALIVE characters. These are from one time logins to regulars and characters older than 6 weeks are deleted if not used. So imagine how many people CPC has entertained since April if we have 1500 characters in the database that are alive and what we consider active.

My point is, find a good community run by people who arent scrounging, cheating little ballsacks that you can trust and play there, by playing in the other types of communities you only encourage them.. dont play there and they die off. Who knows, if you find a good one, you might enjoy them so much and even feel like donating just to give the owners and admins a beer for spending so much of their time to run a good server!

and if you can't find one, start one exactly how you think it should be done. There is always a need for well run servers and communities.

@ak22 yeah its going well - with bf4 and a few other games, most servers have taken a population hit.. they had all but come back recently and then SA came out so its the same deal again. I think it'll pickup again but tbh I think a lot of communities are in a bit of a situation, if DayZ SA works better than expected people will keep at it but if it gets boring until final release then they'll go back to the mod.

I've always said CPC will stay up as long as the community is interested in seeing it stay up, theres no sense wasting money on a dead server when there are others out there that are more successful / populated and people will just merge themselves into other communities.

Associate
My 2 biggest disappointments so far:

Inventory lag - given all the videos and hype they made specifically over the fancy new inventory, this was one of the area I actually expected to be in a fairly decent working state. instead I'm finding quite often that I have to stand over an object for upto several minutes whilst it syncs with the server/hive/whatever (Managed to finish a sudoko before one item synced last night!). It's started to make me lean towards the 'What the hell have they been doing with their time?' mindset.

- Kill on sight mentality. I'm still determined to maintain a 'do not fire unless fired upon' attitude like i did in the mod but the amount of times people have spotted me and instantly attacked me it really testing my patience. Had a guy earlier who attracted a couple of zombies, I decided to be nice and shoot them in full view of him (so it was obvious i wasn't attacking him). He then pulls out an M4 and empties a whole clip in my direction, somehow missed me, then combat logged.

On a slight more optimistic note I finally managed to get kitted up and make it out of the main hotzones without being shot, axed, or reset so I can actually play with some of these new items. Still can't find a map for love nor money though xD

Back
Top Bottom