DayZ - Standalone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like more work than I was expecting, thought they would just be adding some wallpaper.

This game will totally hinge on if hacking has been overcome!

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/dayz-standalone-new-screenshots-unveiled/

Even more!

Dean ‘Rocket’ Hall has released a new set of screenshots for the standalone version of DayZ. Dean is working closely with Bohemia for the development of the standalone version of DayZ, and has revealed that they are targetting for a ‘The Road’ experience. Keep also in mind that these are early screenshots and do not represent the final quality of the game. As Dean described, in these screenshots the greater range of buildings that now have interiors is displayed, from the large office buildings, to the hospitals, metalwork factories, through to small cottages. Enjoy!

Who is to say they are not? I very much doubt the whole team is working on the insides of the buildings/houses and there are others working on the outsides, inventory system and anti hacking etc.

Maybe it's just me then, but...

It's a ****ing ZOMBIE APOCOLYPSE SHOOT-EM-UP SURVIVAL game, not some Interior Designers Matching Frilly Curtains & Bedding Chintz-'em-up...

The only reason anyone goes into any house or place in DayZ is for loot, not to see if they've got a nice carpet and tasteful wallpaper.

Maybe it's just me then, but...

It's a ****ing ZOMBIE APOCOLYPSE SHOOT-EM-UP SURVIVAL game, not some Interior Designers Matching Frilly Curtains & Bedding Chintz-'em-up...

The only reason anyone goes into any house or place in DayZ is for loot, not to see if they've got a nice carpet and tasteful wallpaper.
They're going to add some deterioration/gore to the environments later.

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com

Not long now folks!!! CANT WAIT!

Slight up date:

Whatever you say it is, it isn’t

DayZ standalone will be based on a client-server architecture (more like an MMO), not the current ArmA2 architecture.

This blog post doesn’t contain any pictures, or videos, but I think it provides far more to be excited about. When I read many comments regarding the choice of engine, it can be very frustrating. Up there with the endless debates of what is or is not alpha, is the maddeningly uninformed arguments about what does or does not constitute a “new engine”. I see people say that DayZ is based on the ArmA2 engine, or Take on Engine, or even the ArmA3 engine. I have been joking with team members on the project, that if we were to focus on making shader updates and not change anything else, everyone would be proclaiming that it was a “new engine”.

This week saw our lead programmer outline a dramatic plan to change the face of DayZ and how it will hit the world at the end of this year. Simply put, the application will move into a traditional client-server relationship which the server makes most of the decisions. This is the common architecture behind virtually every MMO currently out there, and it will be DayZ’s architecture when it releases. How is this possible? Well, thanks to an extremely fortunate set of occurrences much thinking and some development had already occurred; the crack team of programmers behind Operation Flashpoint have been thinking about these things for many years. Combined, again, with the unique string of events putting me in the position to have the idea for DayZ, and everything to come together… one could be forgiven for thinking it sounds like fate!

Currently ArmA is running simulation calculations on all clients and on the server as well. Clients have the power to make changes to their world. When the world is as complex and changing as that which DayZ creates, it has created an environment where hacking and performance issues abound. This is not an issue with ArmA, this is an issue of the designer (me) making a design that far outreaches it’s foundations. It is a testament to the Real Virtuality engine that this is even possible. So, what we are doing right now is removing these operations completely from the clients and ensuring the server runs the world. DayZ does not require the complex array of player and AI interactions that ArmA does, so these are all gone. What we are left with is a very heavily optimized solution where the server “call’s the shots” so to speak.

For those with some understanding of such endeavours the significance of these changes will already be readily apparent. For those who do not, it is simple. we’re not just locking the application and data down any more, but we’re making the server the umpire. We’re ripping out everything not required and replacing it with an optimized solution that has players (the survivors) and AI (the zombies). Our zombies don’t need to conduct flanking maneuvers, they don’t need to reload their magazines. They are simple, and our architecture reflects that. Achieving this will be tough, as we are already crunching very hard. If this heavy optimization is as successful as it would rationally seem to be on paper, then we will be limited on player numbers not by performance, but map design. To ensure we are right, we will be running an architecture test at some point, soon.

(the title for this post is a quotation attributed to Alfred Korzybski, philosopher and scientist, and for those not able to understand the subtext - it is a light jab at those professing to know much about engines, and alpha’s, what exactly they all mean)

Sorry if I'm being a bit of a tard and missed it but is there a date set for November or has it been put back to 2013 or something like that? :D

Thanks the goon, I would not have seen that update if I didn't check this thread.

Very interesting update and should resolve most of the hacking issues. Also hoping this means that zombies do not spawn by player proximity but instead spawn on the server from the beginning.

Sorry if I'm being a bit of a tard and missed it but is there a date set for November or has it been put back to 2013 or something like that? :D

Well According to RockeT it has to be done by beginning of September as he’s away until like feb/march next year!

I check tumblr all the time, cant wait for it to come out.

It's radio silence. Guess they are busy working on it!

I said this on our forums… They must be hard at work as the speed at which they released patches during the MOD was awsum. Also RockeT has been tweeting about the Dayz dev team hard at work!

Thanks the goon, I would not have seen that update if I didn't check this thread.

Very interesting update and should resolve most of the hacking issues. Also hoping this means that zombies do not spawn by player proximity but instead spawn on the server from the beginning.

No probs mate, I check it every day. I cant wait to see “Standalone dayz released date: *****”

_______________________-

Also guys if any1 is interested in joining us to play this, head on over to our new shiny (expensive) forums :D

http://thefallenunit.com/forums/

those concerned about hacking and so on it shouldnt be that bad . even now if you play on decent run private servers hacking is very rare.

also if people try some of the newer maps and mods you may see some tweaks that will probably go into standalone already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom