Dead X99 System - What do I replace it with?

Associate
OP
No idea. RAM can do weird things though. Maybe wait for board to come back and re-test with same components before buying anything. You can test one stick of RAM at a time, and Memtest (HCI). See if any clue pops up.

Thanks. I had tried both sticks independently. The chance of both failing would be slim unless there was a voltage surge or similar that killed both.

Ive got DDR 3 RAM in another machine, dont suppose that would work, even to test, will it?

Soldato
Thanks. I had tried both sticks independently. The chance of both failing would be slim unless there was a voltage surge or similar that killed both.

Ive got DDR 3 RAM in another machine, dont suppose that would work, even to test, will it?

Wouldn't think so, no.

I've never had RAM fail on me so far, but twice I've bought new with errors and had to return them. One set passed Memtest but system just kept crashing unless I used different RAM. In the other set, Memtest found errors on both sticks.

This is what I have now. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/avex...l-channel-kit-avd4uz124001616g-my-14d-ar.html. If I buy more RAM, I could get something like this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...channel-kit-black-cmk32gx4m2a2-my-447-cs.html - if the other RAM is faulty, then at least Ill be up and running. If the RAM is not the issue, Ill have more RAM. What's the chance of having compatibility issues? Should I be looking at faster RAM which might be transferable to whatever I get next?

I'd actually be seeking to spend minimum, because whatever you get next may well have DDR5.

However, to try and answer your question - compatibility would be pretty much assured if you place the kit with weakest timings in the Primary Quad Channel. Maybe loosen the timings a little bit more, and then the better kit in secondary Quad Channel will just adapt. After that you can tighten if you enjoy messing around.

Just remembered you said you had two sticks not four. Then just loosen the timings a bit more, and ignore the rest of what I said.

Associate
OP
Thanks Danny. I dont mind investing into this system a bit more if it gives me more RAM. I looked at the i7 6800K (this system) specs compared to the current new stuff and its still a decent setup. My next setup may well be Ryzen 3K, at least a number of months away.

Associate
OP
Tested with some new RAM, still 68. So the CPU will go back it seems, its under warranty till 2020, so hopefully replaced ASAP.

Soldato
Board has gone back, now we wait.

Ive noticed that this machine always takes ages to boot, is that normal? The older i7 setup Im using as a temp machine boots in like 20-30 secs. The X99 takes 2 mins easily, takes ages to post etc. Could that have been a problem or is this normal?

You’ve probably got RAM Training enabled, disable it and it’ll go fast.

Associate
My 5820k recently died, must have been the memory controller.

My problem manifested as a "ram" problem, but corsair supplied me a new kit under warranty and it behaved the exact same as the old kit.

Initially my system would run with "load optimised defaults" (i.e. stock), but the symptom arose where it could get to bios but not OS, it'd just hang or reboot, sometimes the BIOS was missing one stick. I noticed that enabling XMP resolved this and the system became bootable. My immediate thinking was "ok this must be because xmp increased ram voltage". I tried numerous settings (including ram voltage alone) which didn't work. Only enabling XMP helped. One day the PC just came on with a black screen, no post, no bios, did all the usual clear cmos, re-seat ram, etc. I knew I either had a board or CPU problem at this point but wasn't sure which.

You've ruled out the board. IMO you're correct in saying it's unlikely for 2 ram sticks to just go bad, I had the same feeling when I was testing mine. If the memory controller on the CPU is going faulty it'll give you these "ram" issues.

Anyway, intel replaced my CPU. Works perfectly now, same board, same ram, stock settings or XMP, doesn't matter which. Definitely a dead CPU. I still have absolutely no idea why enabling XMP allowed the system to boot when it was starting to go faulty, that one is a mystery to me.

Soldato
I still have absolutely no idea why enabling XMP allowed the system to boot when it was starting to go faulty, that one is a mystery to me.

The XMP settings may have avoided another setting somewhere that the faulty memory controller couldn't deal with.

If so, it would be kind of similar to one of the issues I came across a few days ago while having a go at getting a system going again. Among other issues (faulty PSU, nearly dead motherboard battery), the CMOS memory had clearly been weakened/damaged. I'd have to get display by doing things like pressing down on the ATX cables (the connector was sealed perfectly btw) to sort of jolt it. The BIOS chip was soldered so would be a pain to try and replace it, so started reading up on possible alternatives. Came across an option in the BIOS for "Enable BIOS boot from USB". Figured it would still have to use some CMOS memory anyway and that it wouldn't work. But then I thought well, the CMOS memory isn't totally dead, what if the part of it that can tell the computer "My house is a mess right now, go visit the neighbour across the street (USB)" works fine? Sure enough, I saved the BIOS to USB and enabled that feature, and it began to boot up perfectly all the time, no messing with cables or anything lol. Suspect may have been the case with the memory controller on your CPU and XMP.

Associate
OP
Thanks to everyone and Intel for shipping a replacement CPU within a day of receiving mine, I am up and running again with my X99 system. Need to work out where / how to disable ram training and why my 2nd display wont work but should hopefully be straight forward.

Associate
OP
Bit worrying, came home, PC offline but fans running at full speed.

Restarted, ran for a few mins, did the same whilst I was using it. Just did BIOS update, hope its sorted now.

Back
Top Bottom