Dead X99 System - What do I replace it with?

Associate
So just over 2 years ago I built a new PC (from OC). The spec as per below.

Asus X-99A II
i7-6800K
Avexur Core White 32GB (DDR4 2400MHz)

I came home last night, PC unresponsive. Did some fault finding, error code 68 ( PCI Host Bridge initialization) on the mobo. I removed what I could, without RAM, comes up with a RAM error.

From a few forum posts, there is one suggestion to put some thermal tape between the CPU and cooler but not sure if that will work. I've ordered some to try tonight.

I swapped GFX cards with my son's PC, fault remains. Consensus seems to suggest that it is either mobo, PSU or CPU.

I dont have time to mess around fault finding. I wasnt keen to upgrade but the stuff is now just over 2 years old. Warranty? Not sure.

Assuming I upgrade and I look to replace those components, what would be my best bang for buck? My GFX card is still decent (GTX 1080), so not that keen to upgrade anything else. My PSU is EVGA G2 650W, might replace this as it may be part of the problem.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

I use the PC for a mix of gaming and CAD / Audio stuff, hence why I went with the extra cores versus flat out speed.

Thanks

Man of Honour
Most likely component to fail is the mobo. Still within warranty? If you bought from ocuk, they have asus turbo rma

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Also, I assume you've done the usual full CMOS reset

Yep. Shorted the pins as well as removing the battery for a while. I can only assume its reset but it doesnt POST, so cant get to the BIOS screen.

Any value in trying to upgrade the bios or can I not do this as I cannot get it to post? Some talk about switching over to the 'shadow / backup' BIOS, not sure how, however. I was reading the manual on my phone last night, might download it to my laptop and see.

Associate
OP
just leave it and rma the board. don't want to have any excuse to refuse the rma.

Thanks, noted. Ill call Asus Support and see if they can offer wisdom. I wanted to contact them via their webpage but I dont have the serial number details etc.

Man of Honour
I looked on the OC Website and they recommended contacting the manufacturer.
hmmm...odd. dunno why ocuk would list that on their website.

asus only deals with end-user rma for stuff like laptops, monitors, peripherals etc.
asus' pc components is always dealt with by the retailer, and has been for the best part of the last decade lol

Associate
get in touch with "Bailey"
..or post your request in Forums\OCUK Customer Service\OCUK Customer Service\

I'm sure they'll be able to help you find the right place to contact.

Man of Honour
Associate
OP
Well, Bailey has helped me on the support (private) forum. All good. So looks like it will be RMAed once I have tested another PSU to be sure.

As its going to be at least 28 days, ill be looking at replacement bits.

So, what to buy next? AMD? Id like to use all other bits if possible however, is my RAM up to the task?

Avexir Core White Series 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (AVD4UZ124001616G-
MY-14D-AR

Man of Honour
going on a pure CPU performance standpoint, anything less than a 8700k is a step backwards.
so, either a 8700k or 9700k or 9900k on the intel side. though you lose the PCIE lanes going from a prosumer platform to a consumer platform (if that matters to you).
on the AMD side, ryzen 2600/x is a step backward in terms of single thread performance, but 2700/x is better for multicore workloads.

shame you're looking to buy now, as it'll be interesting to see what ryzen 3000 brings to the table.

Man of Honour
Also, with respect to ram, ryzen likes fast ram. You're looking at a 10% loss (or rather, an unrealised 10%) by sticking with 2400mhz ram, rather than going with 3200mhz+ ram.

Back
Top Bottom