Decision to make : Cayman Islands

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Not an option.

• One because I'd rather not simply get married to get a job
  • Two I'm not sure whether I want to get married
  • Three shes going through a divorce......
All I can see is excuses. If you don't know whether you want to marry her at any point then why even be together?

Easy solution - get married, take the job, she takes a 6 month career break, you both go for at least 6 months, if it's good stay, if not come back and she still has her job.

Caporegime
Good incentive to get the divorce paperwork hurried along and get married after the divorce, problem solved.

I mean surely you can see why the don't just let someone bring some girl they've been dating for a while along and give her a work visa too? (or vice versa)

Soldato
All I can see is excuses. If you don't know whether you want to marry her at any point then why even be together?

Because you can be in a healthy committed relationship for the long term without getting married?!

Caporegime
Because you can be in a healthy committed relationship for the long term without getting married?!

Not to the same extent you can't as you've actively avoided making a rather fundamental commitment that gives you various legal protections and benefits.

If you're getting to the point where you're say going to share ownership of a property and/or have kids then it would be silly not to. I don't know the OPs situation but I'd assume that if you're prepared to move to the other side of the world with someone then it is presumably getting close to that point.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Maybe if you both live in the same country where you are both residents and have the same opportunities, which is not the case for the OP.

Soldato
OP
So the plan was to give them a decision last night. I still havent emailed them.

Got into a lengthy, and somewhat heated discussion with the other half. Being accused of being selfish and potentially breaking her heart :)

Soldato
So the plan was to give them a decision last night. I still havent emailed them.

Got into a lengthy, and somewhat heated discussion with the other half. Being accused of being selfish and potentially breaking her heart :)

How long have you both been together?

It's a tricky decision either way, and will have pros/cons for either outcome.

Caporegime

What is the context - she does or doesn't want to go? Does she want to get married?

Soldato

the fact your having an argument about what is "potentially" an opportunity of a lifetime doesn't sound like a great relationship - how long have you been together?

Soldato
So I've finally decided to take the job. And it's really kicked off now. I wont bother going into it now. As the decision has been made.

best of luck - enjoy - it's a fantastic opportunity - hope it all goes well. Things have a funny way of working themselves out.

Caporegime
So I've finally decided to take the job. And it's really kicked off now. I wont bother going into it now. As the decision has been made.

Congrats (re the job), that sucks re: the missus, I doubt she can remain angry for too long, given you're moving here:

eijGrxZ.jpg

Soldato
If she does great if she doesn't she wasn't the one, life is too short for regrets

This is my thinking, if you aren't happy marry for this kind of opportunity then surely you can't be thinking of spending the rest of your life with this lady should you stay over here anyway.

Soldato
Hong Kong has a similar spousal visa limitation as I found when, I was job seeking last year. Marriage or trying to circumvent the law by using a Visitor Visa (not recommended) seemed to be the only realistic options.

But in Hong Kong you can get away with living there on a visitor visa for years if you're a white European....I doubt Cayman turns a blind eye to that sort of thing.

I do know some people that live on Cayman...hell of a lifestyle. What are the chances of you regretting moving versus regretting not taking the opportunity?

Soldato
OP
Huge twist. After two weeks of arguments.....

In short.... It looks as though the other half may have secured something really good out there. So we're both feeling really positive!

Next step - try to bag our work permits

Soldato
OP
But in Hong Kong you can get away with living there on a visitor visa for years if you're a white European....I doubt Cayman turns a blind eye to that sort of thing.

I do know some people that live on Cayman...hell of a lifestyle. What are the chances of you regretting moving versus regretting not taking the opportunity?

I'm pretty certain I'd regret not taking on this opportunity. I need to at least try my luck out there for 6 or so months.

Back
Top Bottom