delidded 8700k suddenly getting hot

Soldato
I know it's a long shot, but is it possible the case vents/filters/fans are dirty? This will restrict airflow to cooler meaning warmer air into cooler .. and every degree warmer air is going into cooler is same number of degrees hotter CPU will be. ;)

What case and case fans do you have .. and what is fan temp to speed curve?

Associate
OP
Hope they'll reapply liquid metal too.
Hopefully will ask

I know it's a long shot, but is it possible the case vents/filters/fans are dirty? This will restrict airflow to cooler meaning warmer air into cooler .. and every degree warmer air is going into cooler is same number of degrees hotter CPU will be. ;)

What case and case fans do you have .. and what is fan temp to speed curve?

First thing I did was clean any dust out. Case is fractal r6 with the fans that come in it with fractal s36 cooler. Fan curve if I remember correctly (am in town at the moment) is 34c 50% minimum 60c 58 middle and 75c 100% stupid Asus don't let you go past 75c on anything else than 100%

Soldato
Hopefully will ask

First thing I did was clean any dust out. Case is fractal r6 with the fans that come in it with fractal s36 cooler. Fan curve if I remember correctly (am in town at the moment) is 34c 50% minimum 60c 58 middle and 75c 100% stupid Asus don't let you go past 75c on anything else than 100%
Should be plenty of airflow unless exhaust venting is not more area than radiator. Maybe remove PCIe back slot covers to increase rear venting around GPU and thus improve airflow in that area and hopefully give lower temps, another long shot but might help.

Edit:
Could try with case front open and see it that gives you lower temps. R6 has quite limited front vent area and opening it on older cases definitely helps, especially if fans are close to there resistance rating (mm H20).

Associate
OP
Should be plenty of airflow unless exhaust venting is not more area than radiator. Maybe remove PCIe back slot covers to increase rear venting around GPU and thus improve airflow in that area and hopefully give lower temps, another long shot but might help

Edit:
Could try with case front open and see it that gives you lower temps. R6 has quite limited front vent area and opening it on older cases definitely helps, especially if fans are close to there resistance rating (mm H20).

Yeah tried that, it didn't help. Back of the pc is about 12 inches from the wall. Just to add I live in a listed sandstone house with no central heat and single pain windows as we are not allowed double glazing or even secondary glazing so it's not a warm house. Although the ***** at English trust lest us out a satellite dish on the house.

Associate
since I've never had a system without a cpu in it (as I will whilst I'm waiting for my cpu to come back) is it best to have the retention bracket closed or does it not matter
If you have the socket cover, it's a good idea to put that on to protect the delicate socket pins. If you don't have it, then just be really careful not to let anything touch the socket pins. I would close the latch in case I wanted to move the motherboard and so don't want the latch to be flapping around.

Associate
OP
If you have the socket cover, it's a good idea to put that on to protect the delicate socket pins. If you don't have it, then just be really careful not to let anything touch the socket pins. I would close the latch in case I wanted to move the motherboard and so don't want the latch to be flapping around.

I havent got the socket cover, Ill colse the bracket and cover the system so nothing touch anything,

Associate
OP
Sounds good. Also be careful if there are any loose cables in the PC, because they could also potentially snag the socket pins if you move the whole system.

everything is snug, all my cables etc behind mother board. The only thing that could possible touch them is the coolers cpu fan cable but that will be tied out of the way

Associate
I know. They said I'd get it today but I haven't had any notification from DPD so it doesn't look like it
Hope you didn't have to take leave to wait for the delivery. One time I was waiting for delivery of a bed and had to take a day off to receive delivery because their delivery window was something like 9am-4pm. In the end, the delivery was postponed to another day! Wasted a day of leave for nothing.

Associate
OP
Hope you didn't have to take leave to wait for the delivery. One time I was waiting for delivery of a bed and had to take a day off to receive delivery because their delivery window was something like 9am-4pm. In the end, the delivery was postponed to another day! Wasted a day of leave for nothing.

I've had that happen before when I was working. But now I'm a full time carer for my mother so I'm in all the time apart from now as she fell and broke her hip so that m on the way to the hospital now. Just hope I don't get back and there's a card telling me they couldn't deliver it. But since I've had no notification of a delivery I'm guessing that it will be tomorrow

Associate
I've had that happen before when I was working. But now I'm a full time carer for my mother so I'm in all the time apart from now as she fell and broke her hip so that m on the way to the hospital now. Just hope I don't get back and there's a card telling me they couldn't deliver it. But since I've had no notification of a delivery I'm guessing that it will be tomorrow
Sounds like a tough situation. Hope she's able to recover well.

Back
Top Bottom