Delivery Drivers Patience

Associate
OP
Minimum wage job working ungodly hours for peanuts. Peeing in a bottle. What kind of service do you expect? These guys most likely have 100+ deliveries a day.
Your first question is spot on tho. It's like the Simpsons episode where homer looks after waste and comes into their house and empties the cat litter.

The parcel was delivered and you have your goods - the guy isn't there to entertain your loneliness and offer small talk or white glove it into your hand..

It's not like you get a choice of who delivers your stuff 95% of the time. It shouldn't be expected that if I don't get to the door in under 5 seconds my stuff either gets returned or left out to get soaked/damaged in the rain if I'm not home.

If they don't like to deliver stuff then find another job surely, there's tons of jobs around me requiring no experience.. Royal Mail, DPD and Parcelforce seem to manage no problem.

There are plenty of minimum wage people out there that don't make it other peoples problems.

Soldato
Amazon drivers here have gone from "knock and run" to often simply doorsteping items without a knock this winter.

I was shocked the other day when we had a knock, driver still at door when I opened it, as he was concerned whether everything expected was still in the box (it was)! :eek:

Associate
Ha yes everytime. My house isn't big so i can be at the door from anywhere in <7s yet as soon as I move they are gone either back at the van or leaving it somewhere round the back. The only ones who do not are royal mail.

Soldato
It's not like you get a choice of who delivers your stuff 95% of the time.

I did start a government petition and got enough signatures for them to discuss it in the house that there should be a law for all online stores need to state which delivery company they use on their site.
but it was brushed off as it was similar to another one that they already said no to.

I would not order from any company that used Evri as a company, I would rather pay a bit more to ensure that I get the item in a timely manner in the condition I expect it to arrive.

Soldato
Has anyone noticed delivery drivers patience severely lacking recently or is it just me?

Last 3 deliveries I've had now between Amazon and Evri, they knock on the door, I get up and start walking towards the door straight away, but by the time it's taken me the 10-15 seconds to get to the front door they're already walking off or have flung it over the fence without a care if it's raining or not?
Its been like this since the pandemic at least drivers do not wait for doors to be opened they used that as an excuse then and they found it too convenient to change back to how things used to be, apparently

Soldato
I've had to have a word with the Gousto guys a few times as the couriers keep leaving the box on the doorstep without a knock.

Once they mark the delivery as complete an hour later and I get the notification, I finally realise it's been sitting there for a while...

Have just asked for the message of "please just knock once before you run away is fine" to be passed on.

Had exactly that when dpd delivered hello fresh last week. I reckon because the box says do not return they just feel like they can easily dump it at the door and run - which I'm okay with but at least knock the bloody door so I know it's outside.

My missus had messaged me to ask about it, and I was like they've not delivered it yet. Had to check our video doorbell to confirm he literally dropped the box at the door and left.

Soldato
Only issues I've really had are with Yodel and Evri leaving deliveries either outside my building or at the bottom of the stairs even though I'm in. In Yodel's case it was especially frustrating because they wouldn't ring the intercom and it was a Gousto delivery, so it could be sat out in the sun for half an hour or more until the notification eventually comes through to say it's been delivered.

Amazon and DPD are always great and will bring it up to my door.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's not like you get a choice of who delivers your stuff 95% of the time. It shouldn't be expected that if I don't get to the door in under 5 seconds my stuff either gets returned or left out to get soaked/damaged in the rain if I'm not home.

If they don't like to deliver stuff then find another job surely, there's tons of jobs around me requiring no experience.. Royal Mail, DPD and Parcelforce seem to manage no problem.

There are plenty of minimum wage people out there that don't make it other peoples problems.

Then order it for delivery when you are at home...........

Royal Mail, DPD and Parcelforce are no different. It is just in your head. You also pay more for those services. Prime costs £9 a month and you get free delivery on that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only issues I've really had are with Yodel and Evri leaving deliveries either outside my building or at the bottom of the stairs even though I'm in. In Yodel's case it was especially frustrating because they wouldn't ring the intercom and it was a Gousto delivery, so it could be sat out in the sun for half an hour or more until the notification eventually comes through to say it's been delivered.

Amazon and DPD are always great and will bring it up to my door.

Well with Yodel about to go into administration you'll only have one to worry about :cry::cry:

Soldato
Some couriers have no patience whatsoever. They think we sit by our front doors.

Now most have a tracking system on their vehicle or courier’s handset and say you are drop number 82 and courier is on 65. If I’m at home and refreshing the page that I’m the next one, I get prepared and head downstairs. Go down a flight of stairs and open two fire doors

Soldato
Got a convenient and probably against their regulations understanding going on with my current crop of delivery drivers DPD/Amazon/RM, I'm lucky enough to live in area where I can comfortably leave the door unlocked. Live on a secure camp. I have them literally dropping deliveries inside the front door now without having to ask, or even in a outbuilding if they are uncomfortable with that. They literally knock and drop, even packages that usually require signing for (luckily havnt been burned by it as yet). Its taken a few signs on the door and delivery instructions over a few months to get to that point. Very convenient as I work long hours and usually nobody available to collect package within usual working hours, and due to working within secure locations have no mobile communications in the working hours.
Got a lot of respect for them. Cant be easy for them and I am happy for them to deposit the package in secure/semi-secure location of my choosing at my risk just out of pure convenience.

Caporegime
If they save 45 seconds per delivery, and I am guessing 90 deliveries a day that's 67 minutes saved a day.

Bravo so many people out of touch with reality. :)

Genius! That will work well with companies that are not Amazon and don't offer click and collect.

Then pay more for a higher quality of delivery service.

Soldato
The beef I have particularly with the Amazon delivery drivers is that they NEVER read the delivery instructions. I live somewhere where it can be confusing to locate my property and they leave my parcels all over the place and have to go on a hunt to find them. I once asked one whether he found my instructions clear and he replied saying nobody reads them? I mean, what's the point?? Frustrating beyond belief. I constantly gove the poor feedback on the app citing not following delivery instructions but it means nothing.

Associate
Most company's now offer live tracking, time slots and parcel updates, if your not near the door when they arrive that's on you.

Soldato
They'll be getting around £1 a delivery, it's minimum wage, out of that are running costs for what is predominantly a sole trader self employed courier workforce using their own vehicles. Time is money, and its very low money at that, i can't blame them really.

You always get an estimated delivery window, every app has driver tracking now via GPS, just make sure someone is in or update delivery note to leave in porch, side gate or neighbour. No big deal, not frustrating at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom