DELL 2407 Arrives at OcUK!!

Associate
Couple of quotes from a review on this screen regarding the banding...

www.trustedreviews.com said:
firing up our usual DisplayMate revealed that there were indeed banding issues, which could clearly be seen in the 256 Level Intensity colour ramp. In Multimedia and Gaming modes, which enable the Faroudja DCDi deinterlacing, the banding was quite severe. Switching to Desktop mode though, it was significantly reduced and was barely visible. Moving to a VGA connection the banding was reduced further still, but at the expense of overall sharpness, which is not what you want on a screen of this size.

In the 64-step grey-scale test the Multimedia and Gaming mode also caused problems and there was compression at either end. In desktop mode, the light steps at the edge of the screen could be resolved but it was a mass of solid colour at the black end. The claimed contrast ratio of 1000:1 is probably quite optimistic.

but then goes on to say...

Working with large high-res images, I actually couldn’t see any effects of the banding, but colours and details did look subdued compared to the best I’ve seen. Comparing with other monitors it was a little like the difference between 16-bit and 32-bit colour, though not nearly as extreme. However, it’s still an issue and if colour accuracy is important in your line of work then I wouldn’t recommend this screen.

Meh :( I'm still in two minds over buying a couple of these :(

edit: well, ordered two of 'em. will post up tests/thoughts when i get them

Last edited:
Associate
I messed around in photoshop last night using the screen. I got some solid blocks of colour and used the dodge and burn tool to gradually darken the colour to shadow, the banding wasn't noticeable at all, the gradient seemed smooth compared to some of the tests I have done using the above links which have shown pretty bad banding is evident with the screen.

Permabanned
I am not gonna get mine till monday. :(

Cannot wait though, atleast it will be nice and sunny this weekend, no need for a monitor. :D

Anyone else tried an Xbox on it using the Component?

Associate
iamgud said:
I am not gonna get mine till monday. :(

Cannot wait though, atleast it will be nice and sunny this weekend, no need for a monitor. :D

Anyone else tried an Xbox on it using the Component?

yeah I have, not that impressed to be honest... seems overly dark and there seems to be a green tinge to everything. Its good, but its not great... Might drag it back downstairs to plug into my Bravia.

Associate
Got both of mine today (not from OcUK) - A01 revision. There is banding but it's so barely noticable that I'm not overly bothered about it and don't really intend to go out of my way to get these exchanged for A02 revisions when they are available.

IMO if you're not using photoshop 24/7 then you've not got much to worry about. Yes it isn't perfect - but for my kind of usage it isn't a problem.

Associate
pic.php

Associate
Hi all, I've got a few photos showing the good points and bad points with this monitor... can anyone help me with the correct way to post an image. Thanks

Associate
Got there eventually :rolleyes: ... anyway as you can see the blacks really are true, deep black. The colours are vibrant and even seemed to inject some new life into TES Oblivion:

17007122414.jpg

There's no banding to be seen in any of my games as yet but as for certain backgrounds, images etc...

17007012639.jpg
:(

But to be honest I could live with this as it only seemed to affect a select few of my images.

Associate
Oblivion's obviously a great one to test ghosting, lag, banding etc, and there's absolutly none to be seen :D

But looking at photoshop gradients (especially green for some reason?) I'm in two minds about sending it back and waiting for a new version (A02 or whatever)

17007053838.jpg
:(

Movies look great, no banding there:

17007145370.jpg

And the PIP is excellent, I've hooked it up to the TV via S-Video and the image, even at full screen is pretty good.
This is the biggest size possible with PIP:

17007171435.jpg

Associate
Thanks for posting the pics refoowbuS, its good to put a face to the name. On the whole the screen looks brilliant but i just can't get past the banding issue, while it doesn't seem to occur while playing games and watching movies it still puts me off buying one of these.

From the pics you posted i find the banding quite obvious with the green gradient in photoshop and your red desktop wallpaper. As these screens aren't cheap i would be slightly disappointed with this issue as for me i can't see past it.

Its a real shame as it looks fantastic otherwise.

Associate
is there no way for the owner of these Dell's to apply the firmware themselves?
it seems a bit tight that Dell aren't releasing any kind of update for it instead of having to send it back

Man of Honour
PhilNUK said:
is there no way for the owner of these Dell's to apply the firmware themselves?
it seems a bit tight that Dell aren't releasing any kind of update for it instead of having to send it back

unfortunately not. There would be no easy way to patch this yourself, and it could potentially lead to all kinds of warranty issues if ppl starting doing it themselves

Soldato
Baddass said:
unfortunately not. There would be no easy way to patch this yourself, and it could potentially lead to all kinds of warranty issues if ppl starting doing it themselves

true but its also ideal if there are anyprobs with the firmware, look at the samsung screens released last year many had tearing probs at 60hz over component. sumsung supplied firmware upgrades kits to customers having probs.

Back
Top Bottom