Dell launches new XPS 17 (9700) & XPS 15 (9500) Laptops

Soldato
only from watching youtube videos where they take educated guesses. For a decent spec im guessing well north of 2k

well that’s to be expected given they are high end laptops.
What's comparable to the 17" besides the 16" Macbook Pro?

The equivalent spec would probably run you £3k+ with Apple.

Probably only the 16” mbp. I can’t think of any other PC laptop in that range with a 16:10 screen.

Associate
Ordered the 15 inch. Got dell to add the current 14% off to it. £2299 down to £1977. Paid £2,043 with an extra years premium warranty.

Caporegime
Prices are mental, best of waiting a few months until some start appearing on the outlet with a code. There's no end of people who return theirs due to buyers remorse or issues they can't get past.

I picked up the previous XPS 15 with the 4k OLED screen, i7-9750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1650 and 512GB SSD with the full 97wh battery for under £1300 with the same warranty you would get on a brand new one. The only "defect" I found was a dull mark on the lid which I've managed to polish out.

Associate
My company picks up the tab for mine so no real incentive to go discount shopping. My previous laptop is about to go out of warranty so getting a replacement is more important than driving the price right down. That said, for my daughter I picked up a previous gen XPS13 for a massive discount from the outlet and if I was buying for myself would always use this channel.

Soldato
Interesting that other people have had XPS machines fall apart, we have a 2015 XPS13 that I used for a couple of years, then my wife and now my 8 year old daughter carts it around and it's been rock solid

At my last job, we (IT) had the previous generation XPS as work laptops. A mix of 9th gen i7 and i9, 32GB RAM, 1050Ti. While nice machines to look at, they were all horrifically unreliable. Out of the 9 machines we bought, 2 of them had motherboard replacements while most of the others suffered with all manner of random BSODs and crashes. Mine was the only one that didn't go back to Dell, but that was because I was planning to leave so just put up with it. I had no issues with BSODs but mine was plagued with unresponsive keyboard and erratic touchpad problems. It couldn't even complete a run of 3DMark without cooking itself and crashing to the desktop. Show it any kind of decent workload and it'd thermal throttle the CPU massively, mine had the 9980HK.

They were all bought at different times too, so you couldn't even put it down to a faulty batch.

Associate
My 15 inch has been dispatched so I should have it shortly. If the 17s cooling system is that much better then I will return it.

Associate
Received my 15 inch on Wednesday. Pretty much as expected, its a good looker and handles regular office work without issue. CPU intensive work will get it hot and the fans start to blow, although they aren't obnoxious. Played a bit of Destiny 2 and was surprised to see the framerates steady at 60fps even though the CPU temps maxed out and started to throttle, although I only played for a few minutes so not sure if that would degrade further with more play.

The screen is a good as you would expect being nice and bright and a matte finish which I much prefer. The touchpad is smooth and very responsive. Since I'm working from home I'm using my desktop PC at the moment and cannot comment therefore on how the keyboard/touchpad feel to use in long sessions. Wireless network speed is also good with the wireless maxing out my 200Mbps cable line with ease. I have not benchmarked the SSD yet.

Will see how it goes in the long term but I got what I was expecting with no real surprises.

Man of Honour
What's comparable to the 17" besides the 16" Macbook Pro?

The equivalent spec would probably run you £3k+ with Apple.
Surface Laptop 3 (4:3 screen but 15" not quite as powerful)
Thinkpad X1 Extreme or Thinkpad P1 (nearly similar performance but 15.6" 16:9 screen)

Associate
I managed to get Dell to give me a 14% discount when I purchased the new 15 inch, I ended up getting the UHD+ 1TB model originally £2299 but I paid £1977. I have a little bit of a trackpad issue, with the slight pretravel click so I contact Dell to return the laptop for a refund, however they have offered a further 10% on the original price, make it 24% off making it £1747, so I have a real decision to make now! I was just shocked how the dropped the price so easy.

Caporegime
You can tell by how quickly the prices drop on the newer models when they appear on the outlet as "certified refurbished" that the uplift on them must be huge.

I bet the same spec model you bought will show up for around £1400 once they have enough units sent back to start listing them on there.

I've also noticed there's no OLED option on the new XPS 15?

Associate
You can tell by how quickly the prices drop on the newer models when they appear on the outlet as "certified refurbished" that the uplift on them must be huge.

I bet the same spec model you bought will show up for around £1400 once they have enough units sent back to start listing them on there.

I've also noticed there's no OLED option on the new XPS 15?

No OLED for the 2020 models but the screen is amazing.

At £1747 after the discounts for this spec machine, I think I am going to keep it. Its the UHD+ touch screen, 10750H, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 1650Ti, currently listed for £2299.

EDIT: I have just looked, the closest spec XPS 15 to mine is 2019 model price at £1,632 on the Dell outlet, so this one brand new 2020 model for £1747 is a decent deal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom