**Dell PowerEdge T20 Mini Tower Server - Owner Thread**

Associate
Can anyone recommend a 2 or 4 port SATA card to do ESXI PCI passthrough for disk station manager? I got a startech 2 port marvell controller and it has a bug whereby with VT enabled the machine can detect the SATA card but not see the drives. With VT disabled it can see the drives but then obviously can't do PCI passthrough.

Also anyone got a graphics card installed and working? I've been away from PC hardware and gaming for a while on mac instead but was thinking of picking up a cheap card to maybe run some games on. Been looking at a nvidia 750 as a decent card not needing the 6 pin power?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone recommend a 2 or 4 port SATA card to do ESXI PCI passthrough for disk station manager? I got a startech 2 port marvell controller and it has a bug whereby with VT enabled the machine can detect the SATA card but not see the drives. With VT disabled it can see the drives but then obviously can't do PCI passthrough.

Also anyone got a graphics card installed and working? I've been away from PC hardware and gaming for a while on mac instead but was thinking of picking up a cheap card to maybe run some games on. Been looking at a nvidia 750 as a decent card not needing the 6 pin power?

Cheers.

If can afford the extra a 1050 or 1050 Ti much more performance for not much extra both have variants without pci-e power in

Soldato
Still looking for a good deal on ram at the moment, I don't suppose anyone has a 8GB stick available? DDR3 1600mhz unbuffered - Dont mind either ECC or non ECC.

I am not quick enough with forums on the for sale bit as I simply dont have time to scan through and pick them before they get get taken.

If not I will just have to order some online

Last edited:
Soldato
Found Ballistix Sport 8 GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) UDIMM 240-Pin Memory

for Price: £46.50 & FREE Delivery in the UK

Should this work ok?

Soldato
Picked up a stick of

Kingston 8GB RAM PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600) DDR3 Non-ECC RAM, which is reported in multiple places to work in the T20's.

£34

Will test it out when it arrives, if all good I will use this stuff and order another one, wont arrive until the 6th Feb though

EDIT: Recieved the RAM today (2nd Feb 2017) and all looking good :) not bad for £34 per 8GB stick.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just ordered one of these, moving house at the end of the month so it won't be getting used until then, should I upgrade the RAM straight away? Would sticking an 8gb stick in alongside the existing 4gb one work ok? 12gb should be enough to get me set away for now.

Soldato
should I upgrade the RAM straight away? Would sticking an 8gb stick in alongside the existing 4gb one work ok? 12gb should be enough to get me set away for now.

Up to you,

yes sticking an 8gb stick in alongside will be fine, I am using non-ecc alongside the ECC that it came with. Just ensure its DDR3, ECC or NON ECC and is unbuffered, DO NOT ORDER REGISTERED as it will not work..

Just make sure its listed as compatible.

Here is a good link I found useful where people are listing compatible items, check out the "RAM" section in the thread.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f101/dell-poweredge-t20-1031138.html

Associate
Up to you,

yes sticking an 8gb stick in alongside will be fine, I am using non-ecc alongside the ECC that it came with. Just ensure its DDR3, ECC or NON ECC and is unbuffered, DO NOT ORDER REGISTERED as it will not work..

Just make sure its listed as compatible.

Here is a good link I found useful where people are listing compatible items, check out the "RAM" section in the thread.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f101/dell-poweredge-t20-1031138.html

Excellent info on that site. Cheers for that :)

Soldato
No worries :)

Just ordered another 8GB stick of ram so will have 20GB (with the original 4gb in). That will tie me over for a bit. I may buy a new drive next month.

Need to start setting up and getting ready to replace my old Dell optiplex box which I had as my esxi host. Got a bit of backing up/tidying up to do as im spinning up from fresh rather than migrating it over. Apart from my lab vms

Soldato
Anyone know if this memory would be compatible please - Kingston KVR16LE11/8I

The Kingston KVR16LE11/8 without the i is listed as working on the Hardware Luxx site and I can't find any differences on Google. Cheers.

Soldato
Anyone know if this memory would be compatible please - Kingston KVR16LE11/8I

The Kingston KVR16LE11/8 without the i is listed as working on the Hardware Luxx site and I can't find any differences on Google. Cheers.

Looks fine to me, only a small amount of compatible hardware is qualified as qualification costs time and money.

DDR3, CL11, 1600Mhz, ECC, unbuffered same spec as the supplied RAM

Soldato
Looks fine to me, only a small amount of compatible hardware is qualified as qualification costs time and money.

DDR3, CL11, 1600Mhz, ECC, unbuffered same spec as the supplied RAM

Thank you, ordered, 16gb for £50 should do nicely, assuming it works!

Back
Top Bottom