Dell S2417DG (1440p, 165hz, g-sync) owners thread

Associate
OP
**Please don't quote posts referencing competitors**

You can buy it for £443.99 from a reputable PC site, obviously can't mention names but google the monitor name and you'll find them quite easily.

Associate
OP
Hey, ive had both! The only noticable difference really is the size tbh.

I would probably pick the 24" for absolute super serious hardcore fps gaming but the 27" has more wow factor with it being bigger.

Didn't the overshoot and grainy panel of the 27" bother you though as the 24" is free of these issues.

Associate
OP
If he had A02 or later for the S2716DG then the screen surface is similar.

It's good to see this happen as their is no reason for ROG swift TN type of grainyness to have a matte screen.

On another note as you review monitors for a living, is the i1 profiler software i got with my i1 display pro any good? I tried using it again and the dark areas always end up looking brown tinted and if i aim for 2.2 gamma it crushes extra dark shade boxes on the Lagom black level test. In the end i set 2.1 as the target and although it still produces brown tints to really dark shadows the low end shades are not crushed now and the image looks very nice on Battlefield and other games.

Soldato
Ah no, it is actually an a01 that i have. I did notice the screen difference between them but wouldnt say it bothered me personally. If anything the dell 24"'s additional reflectiveness bugged me more but that is just me! :D

From a pure fps competitive gaming pov (which i did for 15+years :o), i believe this dell s2417dg to be the best monitor ever made overall tbh. The responsiveness and so on feels in line with most top gaming monitors since the xl2411z (at which point the difference became negligable), but with 1440p and absolutely obviously superior colours. I can see the argument behind a benq xl2411z with it being half the price and being "perfectly fine for competitive gamers', but you really get what you pay for with the s2417dg imo :D

Associate
I got the Dell S2417DG monitor, and I think it is great.

The only thing that is bugging me is, the bottom left and right corners you can see a light bleed (not sure if that is the right description).

You can notice it when playing a game if it is in an dark environment. And if you are watching a movie with borders, you can see it in each corner.

Is there a fault with the monitor? or is it just the TN panel?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Associate
OP
I got the Dell S2417DG monitor, and I think it is great.

The only thing that is bugging me is, the bottom left and right corners you can see a light bleed (not sure if that is the right description).

You can notice it when playing a game if it is in an dark environment. And if you are watching a movie with borders, you can see it in each corner.

Is there a fault with the monitor? or is it just the TN panel?

Thanks for any advice on this.

It's sounds like you may have backlight bleed which is just bad luck. Mine has a completely uniform screen when displaying a full black screen. Dead on looking at the middle of the screen it's perfect on dark scenes etc. Only if i move quite a bit off axis do i see a slight tint due to viewing angles on dark stuff but it's nothing serious or anything like an IPS.

Associate
OP
Do you think I could get it exchanged for another one then?

So just so I am understanding correctly you are looking dead centre to the monitor left to right & top to bottom & view it from say 23 inches which is what I am doing. If you are checking it like this then it should not have a backlight bleed issue. If you got it from somewhere with a great returns/exchange policy sure why not. For the money it costs you want to be happy with it.

Associate
Yes, I am sitting dead centre of the monitor.

I have took a photo of a movie playing on it. If you look at the top border and then look at the bottom one you can see the difference.

It is doesn't come across well in the photo, but it is a bit more noticeable when you see it in person.

It is minor, and you could probably live with it. If it was you, what would you do?

Associate
OP
Yes, I am sitting dead centre of the monitor.

I have took a photo of a movie playing on it. If you look at the top border and then look at the bottom one you can see the difference.

It is doesn't come across well in the photo, but it is a bit more noticeable when you see it in person.

It is minor, and you could probably live with it. If it was you, what would you do?

Looking at the photo i can't really see too much of an issue like you said. I'm not sure if you should send it back or not as you can possibly get a worse one. It really depends on the return policy of where you bought it and also how much it's annoying you.

Associate
I just picked up this monitor from Dell direct. Paid £445 for it, Price matched ;).

Revision (A00). Manufactured November 2016.

I am still waiting on a aftermarket GTX 1080ti to come out before I can put this monitor to real work.

So far this monitor is great. My previous monitor was a 24" Benq 144hz 1080p G-Sync monitor.

I also love the fact that the pixel density on a 24" is much sharper then on a 27" monitor, and with a few tweaks the picture looks great for a TN panel.

I have not experienced any noticeable light bleed, colour banding, or dead pixels.

For a cheaper TN panel this monitor is a dream.

I would totally recommend this Monitor :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom