Dell U2412M, U2312HM and U2212HM on their way!

jb7

jb7

Associate
I have a question about the USB ports on the U2312HM. Can I plug a usb hard drive into one of the ports and play back MKV files? (i.e without the need of a pc?)

Thanks

Caporegime
My 2312 is vastly inferior to my ancient NEC 20WGX2. IPS glow doesn't occure on my NEC until a pretty extreme angle where it mildly turns orange, the colours are much more vivid, blacks are deeper and whites are brighter.

It does have a minor edge on input latency and a nice increase in size. The 16:9 ratio is also perfect for console gaming. My main concern is that the IPS glow is far more pronounced in the bottom right corner, which leads me to believe it's a screen defect, although many others have complained about the glow in this location too.

Here's a vid of my two screens. The Dell U2414M on the left, and my ancient Philips 200W6CS/00 on the right.

YouTube totally destroys the vid, however, and makes everything pitch black :/ So here's a link to the file itself:

http://www.filesonic.com/file/2607881661/MVI_2097.AVI

Some analysis:

1. The Dell has much better black levels, and better uniformity overall.
2. The Dell's coating makes the IPS glow effect worse.
3. The bottom right corner of the Dell is the worst glow hotspot. On all three units Dell sent me this was the worst place.
3. The Philips, although clearly worse when viewed through the camera, does not suffer from visible glow during normal use. Probably because it's smaller.

So I will not be going IPS from now on for large screens. They are brilliant when you have an image covering the whole of the screen, but if you have black areas (like black bars during movies), the "glow" is incredibly off-putting.

Man of Honour
My old NEC is fantastic even at pretty severe angles on a black screen, I just wish manufacturers would stop cutting so many corners recently :(

The buzzing appears to be getting louder too, and has been verified as abnormal by dell :(

Soldato
I have a question about the USB ports on the U2312HM. Can I plug a usb hard drive into one of the ports and play back MKV files? (i.e without the need of a pc?)

Thanks

No. The USB hub in the monitor is just a simple hub - it needs a pc to do anything with it.

Associate
My old NEC is fantastic even at pretty severe angles on a black screen, I just wish manufacturers would stop cutting so many corners recently :(

The buzzing appears to be getting louder too, and has been verified as abnormal by dell :(

I too have this monitor and heard about the buzzing issue beforehand, so I find myself noticing it more. My current pc is quite loud so tends to be louder, I am however building a new and hopefully quieter one soon and my concern is I will hear it more then. I have read cases on the Dell forum where exchanges have been no better, there's also that possibility that if I were to exchange I may end up with one worse.

Just out of interest who would I take the exchange up with, OC or Dell?

Soldato
I have had chance to play with my monitor some more and playing RAGE on my U2312HM looks amazing. This is where I can see the benefit in IPS technology. :D

Anybody put off by 8ms on the u2312HM, don't be. This screen is as fast any TN panel I have seen/had. The most inportant thing is the input lag for competitive play, and this frankly has none. It makes a huge difference. I've noticed immediately my k/d ratio get better in multiplayer games - before it was always "I should've got that shot" and now my shots are going where they should in the space of time I have to react - before it was nearly impossible at times with my HP screen.

Blu-rays look so different. More than anything it is probably seeing them in the correct 1920x1080 res compared to my old 1680x1050 screen, but the detail on this panel does add something extra and I can immediately see when something is not high quality and is compressed - something I couldn't see before on my HP screen.:cool:

For £200 you have the best of both worlds in one screen - good for gaming and good for images/editing/videos.

I do agree that the 16:10 aspect ratio would be much better for a lot of things, but it doesn't bother me having 16:9 that much.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm happy enough with my U2312HM, the picture quality is fantastic a real step up from my Dell 2005 FWP but still not escaped the back light bleed - but I can watch movies on my TV which is fine :)

Associate
No excuse. I'm just thinking of people who might look at this thread with a view to fps gaming and be disappointed with their decision.

It's not my opinion that 120hz TN panels are better for fps games, it's just the way things are at the moment. Am I wrong?

Permabanned
I bought the u2412m and i am very pleased. comparing it side by side to a five year old 19" samsung it looks amazing. The colours and everything. I have been watching some HD rips and they are crystal clear. Although there is noticeable back light bleed in each corner when I turn the screen to all black and turn the lights off. When watching a movie with black bars at the top it is not noticeable, if you look for it you can see a slight light glow in the corner in when i was watching a poor quality TS that was too dark, but not enough to bother me. I have played quake live and bf3 and nfs world and they all work flawlessly. I even got bf3 to work at 1920 res without stuttering by disabling AA completely on a 3850. Frames not the best, but it is definitely playable and at medium detail as well.

This is my first time with such a large monitor so it takes some getting used to, especially quake live, i almost need to sit back or something. But sitting two meteres away on my leather chair and watching the monitor it looks like a TV playing a blu ray when i watch hd rips. I realy can not complain about it, one of the best things i have bought.

Man of Honour
OP
This reminds me. Are you still after an SA850? Did they ever get back to you about this if you followed it up.

i called them and they said they would send one over to me for today, although don't hold much hope. will ring them again now you've reminded me! :p

Soldato
Forgot about this thread, but then seeing the U2212HM on This Week Only reminded me!

Anyone got the U2212HM? Baddass's review gives it better contrast level than the U2312HM but ~3.8ms input lag compared with U2312HM's 0.6ms!

Back
Top Bottom