Dell U2711..is it worth the money?

Soldato
Nah it's definitely at OS-level rather than the hardware. I've seen a few people complaining of not being able to read the text but they've been people using the wrong cable.

Think the DPI configuration on Windows would be ideal but as it's OS X, it's messier and there's no real universal setting which would quickly fix the issue. I'll see how I get on with it, I can read fine but the moment I think 'is this text too small?' is the moment I start to feel it annoying my eyes. :p Maybe I'm just going mad.

If I can get around that one way or another then I'll be delighted with it, beginning to see why people are raving about it. As with most of the premium Dell panels, it oozes quality.

Associate
lol binoculars .... the quality is amazing tho isnt it relaly iivae had some good screnns beleive it or not an amazing misubushi 22 inch crt a few years ago was the only one that felt as top notcth as this these monitors are amazing tbh i think 500 quid is bargain price i really mean that they are so good

Soldato
Best way to increase text size on OS X is...

move your face a bit closer to the screen :D

:D

Really pleased with it I have to say, although I've had Dell monitors for quite a few years (2 x 2407wfp, 2 x 2707wfp, 1 x U2711) and I would struggle to opt for another manufacturer over Dell.

I've upped the Safari default text from Times 16 to Times 17 and it's made all the difference to how I'm reading stuff, without taking over pages and their structures - so hopefully that's my problem cured.

Think Apple will eventually integrate proper DPI scaling into their OS with the rumoured upcoming Retina displays. It's just a shame that from an accessibility point of view, for people with significant visibility problems, that such options aren't a core part of the OS.

Soldato
Spoke too soon, have had an underlying headache all day due to eye strain from reading text. Further research has shown that it's a common problem on OS X and particularly in the case of people who bought the 27" iMac, which obviously shares the same panel and resolution. The problem being that there's no overall DPI preferences.

Currently running a 1080p resolution (blurro-vision) on the screen which isn't doing it any justice but my headaches have stopped and stuff is readable. Gutted really as the monitor is the perfect size physically and on the resolution side of things (if there was a scaling preference).

Soldato
The monitor is pretty close and I don't wear any glasses. Just installed Windows onto VMWare Fusion, default was absolutely tiny. Went into the appearance settings and upped the DPI to 120, problem solved straight away.

Soldato
Spoke too soon, have had an underlying headache all day due to eye strain from reading text. Further research has shown that it's a common problem on OS X and particularly in the case of people who bought the 27" iMac, which obviously shares the same panel and resolution. The problem being that there's no overall DPI preferences.

Currently running a 1080p resolution (blurro-vision) on the screen which isn't doing it any justice but my headaches have stopped and stuff is readable. Gutted really as the monitor is the perfect size physically and on the resolution side of things (if there was a scaling preference).

Have you tried using pinch to zoom? I zoom in/out as needed so that I can comfortably read each site.

Soldato
Zooming the webpages is probably better than running a non-native resolution but it's not always the best thing for layouts and image quality in particular - as a long term solution I wouldn't want to be doing it.

After about one minute using Windows Vista, it's a simple DPI setting that cures the problem and it isn't asking the world to have such an option in the OS. 'World's most advanced Desktop operating system', my backside. :p

Soldato
Zooming the webpages is probably better than running a non-native resolution but it's not always the best thing for layouts and image quality in particular - as a long term solution I wouldn't want to be doing it.

After about one minute using Windows Vista, it's a simple DPI setting that cures the problem and it isn't asking the world to have such an option in the OS. 'World's most advanced Desktop operating system', my backside. :p

You could use the voice over utility and save your eyes! :p

I do agree this is a needed option and I hope Mountain Lion addresses this as it isn't a problem for me now but I'm not getting younger!

Back
Top Bottom