Dell U2711..is it worth the money?

Associate
Finally managed to get mu U3011 ultrasharp up and running. Been a bit sick so not been able to do much.
Its a great monitor, i like it a lot. 2560 x 1600 on osx and windows is a bit too small with the text though, very hard to read. might have to increase DPI or lower the resolution a bit.

Ok i sussed out the problem. Its the cheapo dvi-d cable i got from the bay. Just hooked it up to an old dvi-i to vga cable and its stunning at the max resolution for VGA. The word stunning does not do it justice tho. you really need your eyes to actually see the vibrancy, depth, sharpness etc of it all to appreciate it.
Better get myself a proper dvi-d cable to enjoy 2560x1600 and my gtx 580.

P.s Just looked and the dvi cable i got from the bay, it says hdmi cable on the sleeving lol..wtf :eek:

Associate
Please please lock this thread !! i cant wait anylonger ive been 2 weeks without my 24 now and have to wait until next week before i can order my u2711 . when i finally get it you can unlock it again as i will be happier with my new "quality" monitor to look at

Associate
This thread is very dangerous.

Also contemplating buying a U2711 and pairing it with a 7970 or 7950, but also an FPS player. Other than that... I'm not sure why I haven't bought it already!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far; it's certainly helped me decide between the Dell and the Hazro! :)

Associate
Please please lock this thread !! i cant wait anylonger ive been 2 weeks without my 24 now and have to wait until next week before i can order my u2711 . when i finally get it you can unlock it again as i will be happier with my new "quality" monitor to look at

This thread is very dangerous.

Also contemplating buying a U2711 and pairing it with a 7970 or 7950, but also an FPS player. Other than that... I'm not sure why I haven't bought it already!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far; it's certainly helped me decide between the Dell and the Hazro! :)

Trust me guys you will not be disappointed. Its my second day on my U3011 and I'm just in awe of this monitor. These Ultrasharps are just spectacular.

Screenshot/download of my Hackintosh:

screenshot.jpg

Associate
what r u using to boot into osx disc ive got snowleopard but still cant fully load it onto my pc

awesome screenie btw.

Last edited:
Associate
what r u using to boot into osx disc ive got snowleopard but still cant fully load it onto my pc

awesome screenie byw.

I'm using my app store purchased Lion, with unibeast and multi beast - latest versions of both.For snow leopard i think your best bet is EASYbeast and multi beast.
Head over to Tony mac x86 site. You will find all you need there.

Don't want this to turn into a hackintosh thread and upset the mods lol.

Associate
What's the responsiveness like for competitive gaming ? I've seen some reviews which shows some delay with the input lag compared to the Hazro in this department.

Wondering if it's noticeable or not ?

Associate
What's the responsiveness like for competitive gaming ? I've seen some reviews which shows some delay with the input lag compared to the Hazro in this department.

Not had a chance to do any gaming yet. Been busy setting it up, dual boot win 7 and osx hackintosh . Like i said its only my second day on the monitor. I will do some gaming once all is set up. Maybe if there other owners of ultrasharps reading this thread can write a word or two.

Soldato

That will depend on individual taste. Usually the people who would take particular issue with the input lag of the monitor might also take issue with the pixel responsiveness. It isn't the best competitive gaming monitor out there but you might get on with it just fine. That's for you to decide and nobody else.

Soldato
Ok i sussed out the problem. Its the cheapo dvi-d cable i got from the bay. Just hooked it up to an old dvi-i to vga cable and its stunning at the max resolution for VGA. The word stunning does not do it justice tho. you really need your eyes to actually see the vibrancy, depth, sharpness etc of it all to appreciate it.
Better get myself a proper dvi-d cable to enjoy 2560x1600 and my gtx 580.

P.s Just looked and the dvi cable i got from the bay, it says hdmi cable on the sleeving lol..wtf :eek:

make sure you get a dual-link dvi cable.

Associate
make sure you get a dual-link dvi cable.
The cable i got from bayE was a dual link dvi d cable. But you get what you pay for as they say. I paid £2 for it and its not upto the job. Also as above when i examined the sleeving on this dvi d cable it said HDMI on it.
Teach me to buy cheapo cable again.
£550 and they don't include a cable ???

I got my Dell U3011 second hand, 6 months old very light usage. It has a scratch just above the OSD controls but a black permanent marker has taken care of that. You really need to look hard to see it now. Other than that it came with everything except a dual link dvi cable. Docs cd, hdmi cable, usb cable but not dvi-d.
So i got a £2 job one from ebay and it was not upto the job. Got a half decent one on the way. I paid £430 for my monitor im not going to complain about it not having a cable at that price for this simply awesome monitor. This one costs £900 here.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I had a cable issue at the beginning too. I just used the cable that I had been using for my Dell 2407WFP.

Screen was all blurry at full res. Then I changed over to the cable that was included with the U2711 and there it was in all its glory!

Still in awe of the monitor to be honest, there is input lag (around 30ms) but I'm not sensitive to it.

The anti-glare is not as major as it's made out to be. On white it is visible, but for me it does not detract from the overall quality of the screen. I'm so glad that I resisted the 120Hz 1080p monitors, because this resolution kicks ass!

Everything looks crisp and detailed, and colour reproduction is excellent.

So for anyone pondering over this monitor (or the 30" version), make a purchase! :D

Associate
hi, im seriously considering buying this monitor, but i use my monitor normally in the dark or low lit environment, as well as watching movies off my PS3 in the dark too, will the AG coating be really bad?

Associate
hi, im seriously considering buying this monitor, but i use my monitor normally in the dark or low lit environment, as well as watching movies off my PS3 in the dark too, will the AG coating be really bad?

I dont have a problem with the AG myself - in any way at all. As with the input lag i think the AG affect will be individually different. Like i say im not affected by it but you might be.

Associate

Actually it's rather the opposite... No?

I have the U2410 and let me tell you on 50% this thing is really bright. If your planning to use this in pitch black I suggest you don't. I did this for a week or two and I strained my eyes. I ended up setting up lighting which was on a par to the screen.

Associate
@ Abz thx for info

will feed back on the monitor next week hopefully will be ordering on the 25th so fingers xssd itll be with me by weekend

Associate
i have a LG tv atm as a monitor, had it for 18 months but the res is really bad on it, cant seem to even get 1080p on it so anything is better (it is 1080p just wont display it for some reason :(). the AG coating/input lag shouldnt be a problem, most i do is uni work and web surfing, i play a few games like BF3 but im not the best at it and i doubt the lag will make much difference to me

as for the lighting, i dont mind the light on just with my current monitor its better in the dark, its only a cheap tv and never had good colours to it and always seemed better in the dark but i have got a lamp so not a problem

Associate
its hdmi, ive tried everything, i spent days trying different settings but nothing worked, i can get 1080p resolution but the quality is terrible and all grainy and cant ready anything, i just went back to 1360x768

Back
Top Bottom