Dell Vostro 1500

Soldato
I dont know how you guys are getting a vostro 1500 with this graphics card because all the 3 vostro options I pick only offer integrated graphics
Weird, looks like they've stopped offering them with dedicated cards, at least temporarily. Maybe a parts shortage or some sort of line-up change coming. You can still get the 1700 with 8400/8600.

Soldato
Think I will go for the 1700 then, does it play games straight out of the box after updating it ofc with Dell drivers, or does it need the laptop2go drivers? I only want to play wow, bf2, cod4 medium settings no aa/af

Associate
Hey Guys
Been speaking to a sales rep at Dell and he says with the 1510 out now and the Vostro 1710 coming out middle of May , Dell are phasing down production of the 1500 and the 1700.

Soldato
Think I will go for the 1700 then, does it play games straight out of the box after updating it ofc with Dell drivers, or does it need the laptop2go drivers? I only want to play wow, bf2, cod4 medium settings no aa/af
I found the out-of-the-box drivers just fine, and there's also newer drivers from dell on their website which I'm now using. I've run games as new as UT3 on them without problems. Also no problems with Wow, the 8600 runs it really well. The laptopvideo2go drivers I didn't get on with since they (all of them) caused tearing in movie playback for me. They may be a little quicker in specific new games due to game specific optimizations though.

It's not difficult to try the laptopvideo2go drivers and remove them and revert to the Dell ones if you don't get on with them.

Associate
Hey Guys
Been speaking to a sales rep at Dell and he says with the 1510 out now and the Vostro 1710 coming out middle of May , Dell are phasing down production of the 1500 and the 1700.

Doesn't the 1510 only go up to a 256 8400m instead of the 8600m the 1500 had? Doesn't look like its going to be quite as brilliant value for money as what its supposed to replace.

Associate
Weird, looks like they've stopped offering them with dedicated cards, at least temporarily. Maybe a parts shortage or some sort of line-up change coming. You can still get the 1700 with 8400/8600.

The option I went for was the 1510 - just had a look on the site and they're not offering it anymore, guess they're out of parts for it atm.

Not sure which company delivered the laptop, I was out and my brother took it. The only thing I can say for certain is that it came from a depot in Greenford. I think it might be Amtrak or Interlink - my guess is it's Amtrak.

Soldato
I hope I have not made a mistake because I just put in an order for this

Vostro 1700

ASE Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5870 (2.0 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Professional - English edit
LCD 17" Wide Screen WXGA+ (1440 x 900) Display with TrueLife™ edit
INTEGRATED WEBCAM Matte Jet Black without Camera edit
MEMORY 2048MB (2x1024) 667MHz DDR2 Dual Channel edit
HARD DRIVE 120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive edit
GRAPHICS CARD 256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software edit
PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (56 WHr)

Total Inc VAT+Shipping £598.08

My only hope is it plays the games I normaly play at an acceptable framerate with acceptable graphics settings.

Soldato
My only hope is it plays the games I normaly play at an acceptable framerate with acceptable graphics settings.
It should do, nothing wrong with that spec at all. I don't play BF2 or COD4, but mine plays all these games just fine - Quake 4, Doom 3, Far Cry, SupCom, WOW, Rome Total War, COD2, UT2K4, HL2, GTA:SA. You can always drop the res down to 1280*800 if a game is struggling too, like I do with Portal, Prey and Fear.

Soldato
depends what you see as acceptable and what you're current rig is, aswell as how much eye candy you think you should be playing with.
The 8600 is gimped by the ddr2 memory but its still fine for COD4 when iv played it on mine, i had all the bells and whistles off but no doubt I could have had a few on, and there will be a few custom configs floating about no doubt.
Mine was running Vegas2 but quite sluggish last night, It would have definately benefitted from a res drop but I found it quite playable, it was probably between 20-25fps.
They are decent performing laptops, just dont expect it to replace a fairly modern rig when it comes to new games, it rips through everything else though.

Associate
Has anyone received a vostro 1510 yet? Ive got mine, albeit with a dodgy keyboard (for some reason the layout is slightly wrong ie. the row above the space bar is shifted one place to the right!), and Im not too happy with the screen. It is an AU Optronics AUO2077 WXGA+ 1440x900. It just seems that the left side of the screen is brighter than the right when you look at the screen from a central position, and there is a bit of backlight bleed at the bottom.

Soldato
Has anyone received a vostro 1510 yet? Ive got mine, albeit with a dodgy keyboard (for some reason the layout is slightly wrong ie. the row above the space bar is shifted one place to the right!), and Im not too happy with the screen. It is an AU Optronics AUO2077 WXGA+ 1440x900. It just seems that the left side of the screen is brighter than the right when you look at the screen from a central position, and there is a bit of backlight bleed at the bottom.

I've read on another forum that the 1510 keyboards are wrong so you can phone Dell and arrange for it to be replaced.

Associate
anyone know how good the intel x3100 (I know its probably not great, although I'm not interested in comments that just say they're ****). I believe that is the gfx in the new vostro 1510.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Aye, it looks not dissimilar to a MacBook black in my opinion, which is no bad thing - I even expected the Dell logo on the case to light up :)

Back
Top Bottom