Delvis: Mobilise!

Man of Honour
Inner and outer shin. You need to be really brutal with your feet, go slowly and smear...

How has the rest of the foot stuff been? I found really forcing pressure through the "tripod" helps, i.e. outside of heal, inside and outside of ball of foot (like "pen penny" in the video).

More stuff on it's way.

Caporegime
OP
Inner and outer shin. You need to be really brutal with your feet, go slowly and smear...

How has the rest of the foot stuff been? I found really forcing pressure through the "tripod" helps, i.e. outside of heal, inside and outside of ball of foot (like "pen penny" in the video).

More stuff on it's way.

Main stuff I've been doing is rolling the ball around under my foot, heavy but slowly.

I basicaly work down my shin, going to look at the videos again to confirm some things. I must say it's very painful a little bit up the inner shin above the ankle.

Will check the pen penny vid again too :)

No worries though mate, take your time, im happy with anything as and when it comes

Man of Honour
I don't want to give you too much to think about at once! I could give you loads but I wouldn't want to overwhelm you.

This way you learn things steadily as well.

Caporegime
OP
I don't want to give you too much to think about at once! I could give you loads but I wouldn't want to overwhelm you.

This way you learn things steadily as well.

Makes sense buddy :)

I've been doing the hip thing, when you put it on to a box and you bend over basically, certainly tight in that area

Man of Honour
Glute stretch? Good stuff!

In general I'd encourage you to explore stuff on your own and freestyle on things like stretching and soft tissue work (rolling etc.), but in terms of corrective exercises I have in mind a particular order to go with.

It makes things massively easier for me that you're interested in this stuff :)

I'm going to give you the weekend to work on your foot and then have something for you to work on for monday. Fixing your feet is literally the foundation to sorting everything else.

How do you feel about progressing at some stage to doing some sprinting? A top down way of looking at this is that if you can sprint, your body is working pretty well. It's also incredibly good for you.

Caporegime
OP
Glute stretch? Good stuff!

In general I'd encourage you to explore stuff on your own and freestyle on things like stretching and soft tissue work (rolling etc.), but in terms of corrective exercises I have in mind a particular order to go with.

It makes things massively easier for me that you're interested in this stuff :)

I'm going to give you the weekend to work on your foot and then have something for you to work on for monday. Fixing your feet is literally the foundation to sorting everything else.

How do you feel about progressing at some stage to doing some sprinting? A top down way of looking at this is that if you can sprint, your body is working pretty well. It's also incredibly good for you.

I've always to be able to run (hell, we have a massive green behind our house) but my knees / shins / ankles have always stopped me, they'd just hurt after a while or the next day.

So, order of things, work on the foot with the ball daily, and the shin / leg stuff every other? When should I work on the hip / glute things? On days my legs are being worked or every training session? :)

Thanks buddy, I really want to sort my foot out, if it can make me do more cardio based stuff in the future, and walk the dog without being in pain, it's all good!

Man of Honour
Foot/lower leg stuff as often as you can really, including leg days.

Any other stretching you're in charge of for the moment, I was meaning that you were free to play around with that stuff if you felt like it. Standard rules of not stretching too heavily before working out that area apply here. I'm going to give you proper hip mobility and strengthening stuff shortly, so you could also wait until then if you want. After that we'll focus on your core, then your scaps and chest, then shoulders and neck, simples (kinda... ;))

Man of Honour
Fixing your hips and knees!

Right, so from your side picture we can see that you have a little bit of anterior pelvic tilt, lordosis, and tight quads and hip flexors. Your tight quads will also be causing problems with your general gait.

So, first priority is to loosen up whatever is tight. After that we can work on stabilisation and strengthening the opposite bits to pull you into much better positions.

For your quads, hip flexors and general anterior (front of) hip:
Mobility Thread said:

This stuff will also catch your quads, which is good. Also try this, where he puts the ball just above his knee. This is great for knee pain in conjunction with the ball in the back of the knee stuff.
Do LOTS of soft tissue work on your quads and TFL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_fasciae_latae_muscle), so lots of foam roller-ing and using the lacrosse/whatever ball.

Also do this, which is slightly more for your hams and medial bits, but it's still relevant to your situation.
http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/01/episode-363365-pre-squat-hip-opener-mob-rx.html
Make sure that the knee down leg has it's gluts switched on, and keep your back straight and abs braced hard.

Do these every day for a week apart from your squat day. After a week do them every other day, and then we'll add stabilisation and strengthening stuff.

Caporegime
OP
Sweet, will do my best buddy :)

Have to bare in mind I don;t have bands or foam rollers :( I need to get a foam roller at least for certain parts of my body, and probably a different ball at some point, the rubber is pulling hairs out :o

Man of Honour
Try a 2ltr bottle of coke (or whatever) instead of a proper foam roller, not ideal but dirt cheap! Make sure you haven't opened it yet, obviously. You can do most of those things and just leave the band out. If you can though, do pick up at least the pullum green band (or equivalent).

Soldato
Can you suggest a suitable ball as in the vids the guy is using a lacrosse ball, can anyone link me up to something suitable to use in the UK?? All I've got are tennis balls which are too big and soft.

Caporegime
OP
Can you suggest a suitable ball as in the vids the guy is using a lacrosse ball, can anyone link me up to something suitable to use in the UK?? All I've got are tennis balls which are too big and soft.

I went to a local pet store and brought a hard rubber ball, £2.50 or something. Not ideal but good enough for no.

Otherwise look in icecolds mobility thread for more info :)

Associate
Ok, so what we can see from your pictures is that you've become slightly flat footed, a.k.a your arch has collapsed or you're pronating. If we don't fix this, it's extremely common for this to cause lower back and knee problems.
I agree 100%.
icecold said:
First step to fixing your feet is easy, just stand on your ball and abuse the tissues of the bottom of your foot.
icecold said:
He also mentions attacking your posterior tibialis, which is responsible for maintaining your arch.

The loss of the arch can be classed as flexible or rigid, you can't tell this without physical examination but in most younger cases its flexible. When this is the case it is ususally due to tib post insuficiency (i.e. weak or stretched) and excessive 'looseness' of the ligaments/muscles/fascia in the foot (i.e. over stretched) like you said or can be due to other factors such as excessive calf tightness or weak hip external rotators.

So whats the reasoning behind stretching the tissues [that maintain the arch] even more? surely you would want to look at tib post strengthening, intrinsic foot muscle strengthening and look at stretching gastrocs and soleus instead?

Also, from the side view pic I think his posture is actually pretty good but if anything slightly swaybacked (which means his hip flexors would be slightly lengthened not tight) so I would advise before stretching them just quickly do a 'Thomas' test on them to determine if they are actually tight and whether its rec fem or your short hip flexors or both that are tight
Not trying to put a spanner in the works or trying to come across as confrontational or anything so apologies if i have but I just dont want delvis or others reading this to end up with problems due to hypermobilty.

Caporegime
OP
Fair point delbueno, I understand where you are coming from, why would you want to stretch the ligaments (if thats the right thing) in your foot if your arch is collapsed already? Personally I have no idea, but 'I think' it's having a positive effect so far.

Can you clarify the 'Thomas' thing you mentioned please as well? :)

Either way, I definitely have tight hips in general, as doing the stretches mentioned here certainly opens them up a touch.

I'm interested to see what icecolds replys will be, as I'm all for understanding everything more from a more technical point of view, and hopefully he doesn't take it the wrong way :p

EDIT: Regarding the arching, I'm also meant to be 'pulling' my arch back in to place so to speak where I can, so I dunno...At a guess when you stretch the foot ligaments underneath, then try and pull your arch back in, it's resetting? Who knows :p

Back
Top Bottom