Depression

Soldato
Well I felt I needed to bleed my emotions somewhere, to do them on a internet forum may not be the best idea but it's all I have at this moment in time.

For a few months now I have been battling depression, and im so scared because I do not know whats causing it. I think it's a mixture of things, which I will be explaining later.

I really did not feel up to work this morning, so I called in sick and booked myself an appointment with my GP who I went to see at 10.50. Basically broke down infront of him and we had a chat about the situation I'm currently in.

I've made a hell of a lot of mistakes the past few years, including dropping out of 6th form, then dropping out of college. Then I recieved a loan for my car and im currently working for ASDA, which I hate.

Hate because you are basically treated like crap by customers and management. Also the store is banned from night deliveries and we are given an hour every morning to fill a whole department, which is impossible. So the rest of the day we are left chasing our tails and putting in a lot of work, to then be told we are again down on sales plan and down on last year (which as some of you may know, was probably the worst for Walmart/Asda for along time).

Speaking to the Doc sure did help, as I would love to get back into education but unfortunatly it's too late being as most places enrole and start by september. When I was at college, and working at ASDA I was still getting quite abit of money so I could easily afford to pay off my loan - Yet saving up (something I find hard to do) for this years insurance is another matter.

A few years ago, I met a gorgeous girl who I never realised liked me although I was mad about her. I never told her how I felt and she ended up seeing someone else who she broke up with in October/November after a year of seeing him and straight away she came to me. Which was great knowing. During that year, I was so jealous that I cut contact - Which was a stupid thing to do, I know that now.

She picked me straight up, I felt great when ever I was around her and I had the pleasure of being friends with her mates too. Christmas day came and I went around to her house (this girl, is also the sister of a friend of mine) to see her brother and her. Unfortunately she does not think her parents would understand if they knew we were kind of seeing each other. So im like/was a big secret and I could not go around if her brother was no there.

When I was around, I was sat next to her brother on his PC with her knelt at the end of his desk looking at the monitor. I couldn't keep my eyes of her, she looked great like always - she has these lovely big blue eyes.

I went home and decided to tell her how I felt, but she said another relationship is not what she was after, but she wanted to see me more. It really hurt in some respects, but she did feel something for me. Basically she became so attatched to her previous lover that it hurt when they split up and he wanted all or nothing. Told her friendship wasn't even on the cards.

I have basically since then been there for her always, sometimes she shows me some compassion and then other times she can be so cold and I now know it's to protect herself. She told me a week back that she has started to get attached and she doesn't need that.

Well I ruined things last night. Ever since I was a child, I have had a over active sub concsiousness. She was on msn to me last night and everything was going great, then she just flipped and said I have to go, can't talk. I offered to phone but she said no, I can't speak. She did how ever tell me she had found something out that she did not like.

I remembered that on Thursdays her brother went to badminton and her Ex also went, and something just clicked that her brother had come back with news that her ex had started seeing someone else.

She came back on MSN about an hour later and appologised, and asked if I were mad. I was not, I was just worried. I told her I thought I knew what had happened to which she offered to tell me, if I told her what I thought was wrong.

Turns out I was right, and when I found out I broke down in tears. Surely if she was bothered about him finding someone else, then she still has feelings for him? So I told her that I knew she still loved him although she was adiment she did not but she admited it hurt everytime she thought about him.

She told me from the beginning what she wanted, and that was abit of fun - which we sure did have. She also told me and made me promise that I would tell her if she was hurting me or messing me around.

She hasn't hurt me, I've hurt myself by thinking I could make her love me and by chasing her when she made it clear from the start.

Another thing about this girl is she basically hates herself due to her last relationship and she also thinks shes fat and ugly. Which she is neither. I know what your thinking, every woman feels that way, but I've never met anyone with such low self confidence as she has. Although to me, she is the most stunning girl I've ever laid eyes on.

So, she now thinks less of herself as she thinks she has hurt me and messed me around. That was the last thing I wanted, to make her feel worse and sad. I would give anything to make her happy, including trading all my feelings for her.

I need to kill these emotions I have for her, but I told her I will always be a friend. Currently we are friends with something extra and I do not want to loose that. But being friends as we are now, is that fueling my love for her?

I've royaly messed up anyways, and hurt her although I promised I wouldn't.

I was feeling worse than I am now months back before I had any contact with her, she has helped me so much yet she thinks she is causing me more pain.

Anyways, feel free to pick my post apart for spelling and grammar errors. Im sure its full of them as I wrote it in a rush. It probably does not even make sense.

I would do anything to stop feeling like this, I want to be back to the way I was..... it doesn't seem as if I am able to get back though. Hopefully the Anti-depressants he prescribed will kick in sooner than later.

Last edited:

Sic

Sic

Soldato
hey, sorry to hear you're not feeling any better. i didnt look, but i'd guess that you're not much older than me, if the same age. there's tonnes of stuff i could say here, about how women arent worth all the trouble you're going through (believe me, they're really not, and it sounds like this girl, and all the baggage she could potentially bring to your life, is definitely NOT worth it) and about how just because of a few minor problems with regards to education, that doesnt end your life.

you also said that you dont KNOW why you're feeling this way. you probably do, but you're repressing it because you're scared of why you feel how you do. think about the kind of person that you are, and the kind of person that you want to be. what's the difference between those 2 people? you can't get out of depression without goals. i used to be terrible, and to be honest, i'm still pretty insecure...but it's getting better, because all i do is surround myself with things that make me feel good.

a very good friend of mine gave me some excellent advice with regards to women the other day. "don't go looking for love, have some fun and let it come and find you". it isnt a race to fall in love, and dont think that just because this chick doesnt want you now, she's never going to...because that may not be the case, but it's evident that she needs time to sort her crap out, and what she needs from you is friendship and support.

have you thought about enrolling in college this year? summer's not too far away...and it'll give you a chance to catch up on some reading, work, go see your friends, save some cash before you get some uniformity back in your life. to me, you don't sound depressed, just deeply confused and scared of life.

sorry about the disjointed randomness of my post, but hopefully it'll allow you to take anything that you choose to take. also, my MSN is in trust if you want to talk about it...i like to think i'm pretty good to talk to about these sorts of things (although i cant seem to make a relationship work!! :o)

Man of Honour
right... first things first: women=pita they will give you the best and worst emotions you can feel.

I know you want a realationship but it seems shes really not in the right place for that, and you need to respect her choises. If you can stand it be her friend, it sounds like you get along really well and everyone needs a good friend when they are down.

Secondly depression: going to the doctor is totally the right move BUT be very careful if they start offering you anti depressants, they are very effective in dragging you out of a mood where you can't do anything, but they are very overused by GPs as a solution, not a means to a solution. They should really only be used to get you into a position to help yourself get over depression.

There are allot of interesting resources for dealing with depression online, have a look around and see what you can find, and don't be afraid to ask for help from your friends, or us lot :)

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Siliconslave said:
Secondly depression: going to the doctor is totally the right move BUT be very careful if they start offering you anti depressants

i obviously dont speak for anyone else, but when i went to my Doc about getting on ADs, he wouldn't let me. i'm not saying this is what you said, but doctors arent as frivolous with ADs (or medication in general for that matter) as you might think

Man of Honour
Sic said:
i obviously dont speak for anyone else, but when i went to my Doc about getting on ADs, he wouldn't let me. i'm not saying this is what you said, but doctors arent as frivolous with ADs (or medication in general for that matter) as you might think

I think it does depend allot on the GP, true they are moving forward very rapidly in general in terms of treating depression. When i went a year and a bit ago they offered them to me straight off!

Soldato
OP
Firstly thank you both for the replys, and Sic, I would gladly have you on MSN.

Always wondered about adding you being as you live quite close (Evesham if im correct?) and you have a lot of similar interests such as web design.

I have thought about enrolling, I was thinking about putting more hours into work although I hate it to get more money and to start saving money for when I obviously go back to part time work. I was an idiot and took a loan with a 19% APR and its going to take another 4 years to pay off. Although the bank manager said I could go in after 6 months if I had kept up payments (which I have) and possibly get the APR dropped.

But surely he means taking out another loan with a lower APR, to pay that loan off? Couldn't lower the one after I signed? I ain't sure.

I need to get out more, I have been out more lately but before hand I was not due to all my peers going to university.

Whens the next OcUK meet? Would be great to meet some of the charachters on here.

Goals, thats what I need and I need to achieve them. In the past I have been lazy and I have learnt the hardway that it was wrong to be. Roll on September.

Soldato
Wow lot there similar to me that I didnt know about!

One line which is true, and if ANYBODY dissagrees with me on this then they know where they can put it: It does get better, maybe not now, maybe not this year, but it WILL get better.

What I have found is the worse you have it, the more you apreciate everything when you really are up and having a good time; also helps to make you more in-tune with others emotions.

When your through it all you will be a lot stronger and more determined than before.

And towards the girl problems, take it more with a pinch of salt. Me and a ex who I was with for years have this week just started talking again. After the year with no contact I was amazed.

You never know what the future will hold.

SCM

SCM

Associate
Ok as a fellow depression sufferer i know what you are going through so you aren't alone and a lot of others on the forums here understand as well.

My depression was caused by basically 2 years from hell and everything caught up to me and i couldn't cope any more. The lowlights of those 2 years house fire, hospital trip which was touch and go as drugs didn't work too quickly, stress of new job, stress of a separation and stress of house sale. I too was also in a career i hated but had to work as needed the money for me and my ex wife to pay bills etc this is never nice.

You have done the right thing going to the doctors and asking for help, as the first step is realising you have a problem and then dealing with it and asking for help, these initial steps are always hard.

As to the anti-depressents don't expect miracles overnight as it can take a few weeks for them to kick in and begin to work. This is usual for them so don't worry if you aren't feeling better in a few days, it will kick in over time as it varies from person to person. I know this myself from what i have gone through, so be patient and don't panic if you don't see improvements immediately.

If you need someone to chat to about the depression my email is in trust and think my msn addy is in there somewhere as well. Feel free to add me and i will offer any insight into depression from my experiences.

Just remember you aren't alone through this you have your doctor who you can call on, your friends and family are there as even just chatting about normal things does help, you have people here who will be willing to help you through this. So fight this and when you need some support just ask for it, as i know having the doctor nearby and hospital as well in my case is a comforting feeling. Do not be afraid to book an appointment with your doctor if you need it as they are there to help you.

SCM

Sic

Sic

Soldato
GET YE TO LIVERPOOL!!!

yeah, i'm from Evesham, for my sins :(

im similar to that as well...my mates all tootled off to university a coupla years ago (holy crap, it must be 3 now :eek: ) and for the first year, i just found myself moping about, not really doing a lot....but i was pretty lucky because a couple of them transferred to cheltenham and now i see them all the time. any friends that you still have in your area wiill always be good to talk to about this kinda thing...although sometimes you can feel the love on this forum like a big hot water bottle, a real chat with a real person can help a LOT :)

on the loan subject, transfer it to someone else with a better rate...get a loan from someone else and pay off your old one with the new one...bargain! paying 19% APR on a loan simply wouldn't do for me...i pay 6% with M&S :)

even though it's easy to say, and really difficult to do, you've just gotta keep your chin up, these things are going to happen more and more, and if you let them get the better of you then it'll end up making you even more unhappy than you are now.

edit: check out the worcestershire massive! Evesham, Broms, Detroitwich (i think that's worcs, if not it's pretty close!)

Permabanned
i agree that AD's are overprescibed and generally if your doc doesnt prescribe them then you dont need them,good luck in getting better,its a hard road for many ppl with clinical depression.

Soldato
Sic you sound quite wise for your possible age :)

Yeh I just failed a driving test so chances for a decent job are put back for 20 days until another test, quite a nock really for me.

Ironically text you Mark don't know if you got it, asking if you wanted to meet up as I need to do something now myself!

Its easy to say chin up, but once you start feeling better it does get addictive and you get able to take it in your stride. Just need to get yourself to that point really :)

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Yewen said:
Sic you sound quite wise for your possible age :)

i'm 20, so i take that as a great compliment. thank you :)

Yewen said:
Its easy to say chin up, but once you start feeling better it does get addictive and you get able to take it in your stride. Just need to get yourself to that point really :)

i must admit, after splitting with my better half last week, i'm already feeling tonnes better. you've just got to understand that it's really your choice whether you're happy enough. happiness perpetuates itself the same as sadness does, and although it's healthy to be sad every now and again, it's far more fun to be happy!

i really hope you do feel better soon Mek, because i know you've been having a hard time recently, and i also know just how you feel.

Soldato
mate just read your thread, it's not all that bad, although to you it seems bad, make steps to get back into eductaion.... don't miss out on that, you may have to keep a part time job at ASDA or somewhere else, but do the education thing!

who cares about people moaning at you at ASDA.... you gonna be there in 2 years time? - hell no!!! just part of growing up everyone has a naff job for a while!

don't worry about the girl, it still hurts me when i think of my X - does not mean i'm still in love with her, it's just painful

chin up mate, sounds like you have your whole life ahead of you....

just go grab it!

Soldato
After leaving college and being in a similar situation bar the debt to you I am considering doing night school and at home learning.

I can't face going back to college from my last experience; but it is never to late to get back into education. Some people on these forums are doing degree's in there 30's for example.

Soldato
Just sounds like you're going through a bad patch that's all (woman is involved which makes the patch that bit worse). It isn't all that bad you're still fairly young and there should be opportunities for you (hell you can try applying to uni as mature student now), ASDA is just a phase, believe me I had worse jobs. As for the girl she either needs time or someone to just tell her to snap out of it. It is difficult to get over failed relationships but it's not the end of the world, sooner she realises that the better. As for your situation with her I'm not sure about it, but I had a similar case and I found that keeping distance from the person helps as every day you're trying to be her friend you're giving yourself some hope of a relationship and when it's not happening you just end up upsetting yourself more and more. I'm not telling you to stop seeing her at all just something to keep in mind.

Also I'm not sure if it's a good idea to take anti depressants in your case. Relying on medicine to fix your particular "problem" doesn't look like the best way for me. I mean it's things in real world that are making you depressed and some tablet isn't gonna suddenly land you a dream job and make her love you.

Associate
I made a decision when i was 16 just after being dumped by my first girlfriend... never to let another girl make me feel this way.

Get out there with your friends and don't mess around with halfway girls.

Associate
I think I can help you, Mekrel, my friend.

I have read your post about 5 times and I've just had a realization. There is a common trait between these types of posts. Every post like this uses language and communication which is so morose that I can actually feel the depression and pain. Everything is described and illustrated according to the bad and negative side, and the poster NEVER considers what the upside of the situation is. Your post is riddled with self-deprecating language. There is no upside, its all downside, yet when I interpret what is written I find nothing to be depressed about. I always see the upsides, the advantages, the opportunities, while you only see the downsides, the let downs, the disadvantages, the failures, the gloom and misery.

That has to change. Here are some examples;

I've made a hell of a lot of mistakes the past few years, including dropping out of 6th form, then dropping out of college. Then I recieved a loan for my car and im currently working for ASDA, which I hate.

Lets transform these so called “mistakes” into what they really are, which are “good moves” with positive outcomes. You've made a Heaven of good choices!

You dropped out of College and 6th form. Good for you! As you know the amount of debt that Students are getting into today is enormous! No doubt you have also seen the starting wages for a great deal of graduates, who incidentally slogged their guts out for 3 or 4 years studying something incredibly boring and tedious, only to earn the same or less as someone who made the smart move of working their way up and learning with hands on experience.

Hate because you are basically treated like crap by customers and management. Also the store is banned from night deliveries and we are given an hour every morning to fill a whole department, which is impossible. So the rest of the day we are left chasing our tails and putting in a lot of work, to then be told we are again down on sales plan and down on last year (which as some of you may know, was probably the worst for Walmart/Asda for along time).

Haha! I bet the customers say some right funny things to you. Duhrrrr excuse me wots the differunce between heinz baked beans and ASDA own brand? Duhhrr excuse me Sonny which Isle has the Cornflakes? Uhm, the one with the sign saying “Cereals”, Maddam. The Medicine isle is that way ...... Excuse me? ..... I didn't say anything.

I personally would love to see it. Not to mention that you have this huge pool of Women doing their shopping, what a fantastic opportunity to flirt and give out your telephone number ... You're sitting on a goldmine there and you don't even know it.

Ooh .. now you've gone and done it ... NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. I love a challenge. Tell me, have you broken your personal record for filling a department, yet? I bet you can fill one faster than Josey Wales can drop 5 pistolaires. :D

Instead of viewing all of it as a “chore” and “boring” which you “hate”, view it as one big fun game ... Like that wacky TV show “Its a knockout!” ... If you're doing this job with other people, have a go at being playful with them, sabotage their efforts, throw Andrex Extra Soft rolls at them ... It'll be fun. It's always as much as AS YOU MAKE OF IT. :D

But not only do you have to view the present as positive, you have to view the past and the future as positive too. Always find the silver lining to any situation, always find the opportunity instead of the mistake, never see anything as a "failure", see it as "feedback". Thomas Edison never failed. He merely found 10,000 ways that the Light bulb didn't work. Einstein wasn't smarter than everyone else, he just stuck with problems longer than everyone else. They're both paraphrased quotes so they're not made up! Straight from the Horses mouth.

All you have to do is see the bright side, which there is, its huge, but its being blocked by some evil critter inside of you. Maybe somewhere along your childhood someone told you didn't deserve to be happy or something, I don't know. But I know whatever is holding you back from seeing the benefits and upsides can and will be gotten rid of if you put the effort in.

Your Women "problems" are a walk in the park but your other "problems" must be removed first before you can bag this Girl, in my view, so it's not even worth discussing at this juncture. Go do it!

Soldato
Old Turkey said:
I think I can help you, Mekrel, my friend.

I have read your post about 5 times and I've just had a realization. There is a common trait between these types of posts. Every post like this uses language and communication which is so morose that I can actually feel the depression and pain. Everything is described and illustrated according to the bad and negative side, and the poster NEVER considers what the upside of the situation is. Your post is riddled with self-deprecating language. There is no upside, its all downside, yet when I interpret what is written I find nothing to be depressed about. I always see the upsides, the advantages, the opportunities, while you only see the downsides, the let downs, the disadvantages, the failures, the gloom and misery.

That has to change. Here are some examples;

Lets transform these so called “mistakes” into what they really are, which are “good moves” with positive outcomes. You've made a Heaven of good choices!

You dropped out of College and 6th form. Good for you! As you know the amount of debt that Students are getting into today is enormous! No doubt you have also seen the starting wages for a great deal of graduates, who incidentally slogged their guts out for 3 or 4 years studying something incredibly boring and tedious, only to earn the same or less as someone who made the smart move of working their way up and learning with hands on experience.

Haha! I bet the customers say some right funny things to you. Duhrrrr excuse me wots the differunce between heinz baked beans and ASDA own brand? Duhhrr excuse me Sonny which Isle has the Cornflakes? Uhm, the one with the sign saying “Cereals”, Maddam. The Medicine isle is that way ...... Excuse me? ..... I didn't say anything.

I personally would love to see it. Not to mention that you have this huge pool of Women doing their shopping, what a fantastic opportunity to flirt and give out your telephone number ... You're sitting on a goldmine there and you don't even know it.

Ooh .. now you've gone and done it ... NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. I love a challenge. Tell me, have you broken your personal record for filling a department, yet? I bet you can fill one faster than Josey Wales can drop 5 pistolaires. :D

Instead of viewing all of it as a “chore” and “boring” which you “hate”, view it as one big fun game ... Like that wacky TV show “Its a knockout!” ... If you're doing this job with other people, have a go at being playful with them, sabotage their efforts, throw Andrex Extra Soft rolls at them ... It'll be fun. It's always as much as AS YOU MAKE OF IT. :D

But not only do you have to view the present as positive, you have to view the past and the future as positive too. Always find the silver lining to any situation, always find the opportunity instead of the mistake, never see anything as a "failure", see it as "feedback". Thomas Edison never failed. He merely found 10,000 ways that the Light bulb didn't work. Einstein wasn't smarter than everyone else, he just stuck with problems longer than everyone else. They're both paraphrased quotes so they're not made up! Straight from the Horses mouth.

All you have to do is see the bright side, which there is, its huge, but its being blocked by some evil critter inside of you. Maybe somewhere along your childhood someone told you didn't deserve to be happy or something, I don't know. But I know whatever is holding you back from seeing the benefits and upsides can and will be gotten rid of if you put the effort in.

Your Women "problems" are a walk in the park but your other "problems" must be removed first before you can bag this Girl, in my view, so it's not even worth discussing at this juncture. Go do it!

I think i love you :D

Old turkey talks a lot of sense, there is no point dwelling on things in the past as mistakes as it only means that you don't get on with what you are doing now.

I've been depressed in the past, never that bad just wasn't happy with who i was for a long time, got really bad at one point but i just woke up one day and realised i couldn't carry on that way as it was only serving to make me worse, so i set about working out exactly who i was and learning to be happy with it. It took time, only finished the whole process about 6 months ago and i started when i was about 16, but i am happy now, i am happy with who i am and anyone else can go get ****** if they don't.

Your women problems are highly irritating i was/am in a very similar situation to you, and it hurt for a while, the way i went about everything to do wit her was so wrong in terms of a relationship, mr Turkey would probably beat me with a stick if i said *** i did, but that was the only way it could be done as my concern for her as a mate was far more important than what i wanted, i had to let me feelings for her go othewise i couldn't help her through her problems as a mate should.

Anyway i'm driveling on, whe there is really sod all i can add which Old Trkey has't said so i'll shut up now :)

Soldato
Mekrel, come to Liverpool!

I'm driving up with Sic, and I need someone to share a room with, you live local to Sic.. It all makes sense, plus me and Sic combined is actually the recipe for awesome.

We'll cheer you up :)

Aside from that, I've nothing to add, there's been some excellent posts in this thread already and I won't be able to do any better.

Back
Top Bottom