Derek Chauvin murder trial (Police officer who arrested George Floyd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear, prosecution moving from experts to family heartstring tugging. If that is the extent of their evidence with the defense yet to call any witnesses hes gonna walk.

Current witness the use of force expert is one of the first times imho the prosecution has built a compelling case. Yet to be crossed, but the "reasonable" tests certainly could lean towards manslaughter quite comfortably.

Current witness the use of force expert is one of the first times imho the prosecution has built a compelling case. Yet to be crossed, but the "reasonable" tests certainly could lean towards manslaughter quite comfortably.

Just watched this and it did make a clear case from the prosecution perspective, if you take this in isolation, and even if the restraint wasn't the cause of George Floyd's death, the comments on the probable effects of continuing the restraint appeared quite anticipatable based on George Floyd's health/intoxicated/high condition so it would appear that the defendant should have eased off at an earlier stage, thus manslaughter may well be on the cards.

Oh dear, prosecution moving from experts to family heartstring tugging. If that is the extent of their evidence with the defense yet to call any witnesses hes gonna walk.
It's far easier to reach the average person with emotion than logic. I think it'll come down to how good the defence's closing is.

Defense cross was "not bad", it certainly didnt take him apart like some of the others, there certainly wasnt that "gotcha" moment but it did bring it back more to center than the absolute "if you do it in slow motion this is exactly what should happen" type scenario.

The Defense gets to call their witnesses for the rest of this week, and the judge has said assuming it goes smoothly that he will take closing statements next monday before the jury are sequestered to deliberate so as not to keep them in over the weekend.

As a lay-person (just like the Jury) based on what ive seen so far I dont think either murder charges will stick. The case for those just wasnt strong enough and the defense did a fantastic job there.

The 2nd degree manslaughter is whats in the balance in my mind now. Its likely going to pivot around this point of the law "consciously takes chances of causing death". I would currently say, there was enough times in the encounter that opportunity was given, and the state of Floyd was noticed as becoming less responsive that a less aggressive hold could have been employed that this point is met. Having said that, we know prior to the encounter Floyds drug dealer has stated he took significant effort to get him to regain consciousness after becoming unresponsive in their car, it depends if that can be bought into the court proceedings or not tomorrow.

The expert from yesterday was clearly biased in favour of the prosecution. I’m surprised he wasn’t pulled-up on it more. There were plenty of times he was asked a question by the defence that could be answered yes or no, but he clearly didn’t want to be of any help to the defence so he’d insert 30 seconds of, admittedly very articulate, obfuscation prior to the yes or no.

Having said that, we know prior to the encounter Floyds drug dealer has stated he took significant effort to get him to regain consciousness after becoming unresponsive in their car, it depends if that can be bought into the court proceedings or not tomorrow.

Those statements aren't allowed - Judge ruled yesterday. I guess we'll have to see what happens re: him being able to testify:

https://news.yahoo.com/morries-hall-passenger-george-floyds-150350518.html

Judge Peter Cahill will rule Tuesday on whether a man who was in the car with George Floyd on the day of his death will be ordered to testify with limitations in the trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin.

Morries Hall had invoked his 5th Amendment right not to testify. The defense had asked that statements Hall previously made to investigators be allowed in as evidence if he didn't testify.

Cahill ruled Monday that those previous statements, which mentioned drug use and Floyd's demeanor the day of his death, will not be admissible.

Hall had been sitting in the front passenger seat of a Mercedes SUV with Floyd when police approached him on May 25, 2020, after he was reported to have used a fake $20 bill at Cup Foods.

[...]

Hall's previous statements, specifically that Floyd was falling asleep in his car before he was approached by police, thus far would be the only indication to the jury that Floyd's drug use could have had an effect on his health that day.

The prosecution could grant Hall immunity that would compel him to testify, but doesn't plan on it.

"The state is the only party to this that has the availability to offer Mr. Hall immunity and they have, at least in the chambers instructions, offered that they do not intend to offer Mr Hall immunity," Nelson said.

Wonder if that will be one of the things cited in a possible appeal.

First witness for the defense is GF being approached by an officer a year prior to May 2020, and he was just as non compliant then. Doesn't really put him in a good light for his attitude to law enforcement.

First witness for the defense is GF being approached by an officer a year prior to May 2020, and he was just as non compliant then. Doesn't really put him in a good light for his attitude to law enforcement.
Really? I thought that testimony was pretty strange for a defence witness, although the testimony isn't finished yet.

Not quiet sure what to make of that first witness, specially for the defense, GF was being compliant eventually with the officer, which is a far cry from his behavior in 2020.

The second witness was all about the drugs and his health with very high blood pressure 216/160. GF also confirmed his addiction to opiods namely percocet where he was taking tablets as often as every 20 minutes.

For me, the picture is pretty clear - George Floyd was simply in a very unhealthy and fragile state, that blood pressure reading would have most people being rushed to hospital.. I think it's pretty reasonable to imagine his physical state going south pretty quickly, during a heavy handed incident with the police.

His physical state doesn't absolve the police of their responsibilities though, I still think that manslaughter is still an appropriate charge here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom