Derek Chauvin murder trial (Police officer who arrested George Floyd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's a spanner in the works for BLM then, the Judge just said that the congresswomens actions might just lead to the trial being over turned.

It should be overturned now in my opinion.

But blm was kneeling for a person was was shot by police and was going to Burnsville.
Then they found out he was WHITE. And turned around and never went :cry::cry:

Haven't been following this but caught the closing last night. Seems obvious that kneeling on him contributed to his death and is therefore manslaughter. However I don't really feel like locking the guy up for doing his job is moral. Police have to be able to restrain people and occasionally death will be the outcome. Law needs to take into account someone being punished before the verdict by having their reputation ruined.

This whole escapade has been so divisive and extreme, I even knew someone who got fired for mentioning George Floyds criminal history on social media..

Whole thing is a massive toxic mess with no obvious closure and is rife with extremism.

Examples like the above are why people will be surprised is Chauvin is found not guilty. No one wants to say anything negative about the case so what you see presented is very one sided. Its gonna be riot city either way anyway. I feel bad for people caught up in the aftermath.

Seems obvious that kneeling on him contributed to his death and is therefore manslaughter

More is required to convict for manslaughter, namely that the restraint and use of force was not appropriate based on the situation, policy, and his training. It has been noted a few times based on the actions of GF. that Chauvin could have deployed a taser to subdue Floyd but chose a lesser amount of force in using the prone restraint. I suspect that if a taser had been used and GF had died Chauvin would not be in court.

Haven't been following this but caught the closing last night. Seems obvious that kneeling on him contributed to his death and is therefore manslaughter. However I don't really feel like locking the guy up for doing his job is moral. Police have to be able to restrain people and occasionally death will be the outcome. Law needs to take into account someone being punished before the verdict by having their reputation ruined.
I'm not a fan of the events that took place and I believe chauvin was a cop that just had enough of the day job. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if the jury just decide that he walks as he was a cop just doing his job.

The unfortunate fact is that policing in America is ******. When cops are all to happy to point guns at people with no merit it speaks to a wider problem with the country that sentencing one dude will never solve.

Honestly if protesters want to see real change locking this guy up is going to do absolutely nothing, but a political play by the jury would ripple through the entire US.

This whole escapade has been so divisive and extreme, I even knew someone who got fired for mentioning George Floyds criminal history on social media...

And that, boys and girls, is why you either have totally anonymous social media accounts or none at all if you’re going to post opinions and/facts that your employer doesn’t want linked to them in any way.

Sorry, but you can't fire somebody for that unless they are somehow involved in the trial.

Incorrect.

In the US you can be fired for literally any reason, at any time - labour law is vastly, vastly different there. In cases like this - a social media post about something divisive could in the eyes of the company, bring it into disrepute. By making a public post about something that's sensitive (especially considering the mood in the room) the company, could exit him immediately if they wanted to.

And as I said - it's normal for US companies to make you sign a severance/release deal, so you basically take money to not sue, which is what happened in this case.

All of these newspapers stating GF was “killed” or “murdered”, will they need to issue retractions or corrections if he is found not guilty?

as the correct term would be “died”?

Incorrect.

In the US you can be fired for literally any reason, at any time - labour law is vastly, vastly different there. In cases like this - a social media post about something divisive could in the eyes of the company, bring it into disrepute. By making a public post about something that's sensitive (especially considering the mood in the room) the company, could exit him immediately if they wanted to.

And as I said - it's normal for US companies to make you sign a severance/release deal, so you basically take money to not sue, which is what happened in this case.
My understanding is that not every State has ‘at will’ employment laws where you can be summarily fired just because your boss is having a bad day. I’m unsure how those states rules compare to each other or our employment laws though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom