Derek Chauvin murder trial (Police officer who arrested George Floyd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato

Public policy exception is more to do with preventing employees from being fired if they refuse to do something their employer asks which is illegal, or defined as immoral or suchlike. For example; If an employee reports their employer for tax fraud, or being involved in organised crime, would be examples of where an employee would be protected by public policy doctrine and couldn't be fired. Or even silly things - like somebody being on Jury service for an extended period - you couldn't fire someone for that.

In the general sense, you can still be fired pretty much instantly for pretty much any reason, and on the spot. In contrast to the EU where it's very hard to fire somebody.

Soldato
I think Minneapolis has already crossed the event horizon. Cops will quit, productive people won’t want to live there, and businesses will leave.

It’ll be Detroit 2.0 within 10 years.

Soldato
Is there a deadline or eta for verdict?
How long is a piece of string? In the OJ Simpson case the trail was 10 months long and they jury deliberated for only 2 hours, in the Louise Woodward case (much shorter) the jury took 26 hours to find her guilty. I tend to think we will get a verdict today, those closing statements yesterday really dragged on.

Suspended
Biden is politicizing this trial. He said that he is "Praying for the right verdict" what a sick person.

Is he?

But Biden has cultivated a relationship with the Floyd family since George Floyd's death spurred a reckoning on racial injustice in America, calling the family Monday to check in and convey he was praying for them, according to Psaki.

"I can only imagine the pressure and anxiety they’re feeling. And so, I waited till the jury was sequestered, and -- and I called," Biden said Tuesday. He said he didn't intend to make the call public, but George's brother, Philonise, spoke about the call during a television interview Tuesday morning.

"He was just calling, he knows how it is to lose a family member and he knows that, the process what we are going through. He's just letting us know he's praying for us and hoping that everything will come out to be okay," Philonise said on NBC's "Today Show," referring to Biden's deep empathy for those who have experienced tragedies like the loss of his own wife and two children.

"They’re a good family. And they’re calling for peace and tranquility no matter what that verdict is," Biden said.

"We just talked a little. I wanted to know how they were doing, just personally," he added.

Soldato
As much as it is interesting to read the evidence, watch the trial and try to understand what happened and come to a personal opinion on whether he's guilty or not, in the end it's just entertainment for us..

However, I do think that allowing something as divisive and toxic as this to be held in full public view via TV cameras was a bad idea, it's made everything 10x harder, in terms of maintaining impartiality and removing bias. I know the old saying "justice has to be seen to be done" but I think it should have taken place behind closed doors.

I think it's bad that politicians are wading in with their opinions, not just because I don't agree with most of them - but because it just doesn't seem proper, not whilst the jury are busy deliberating, they should save their opinions (whatever they are) for later. Once the jury who've been sworn to decide the damn thing, return their verdict.

Soldato
Sleepy Joe has just confirmed what most thought already, he's going senile.

Unbelievably stupid comments that will be used to overturn the verdict if he is found guilty.

Yep, he might scupper the whole trial now as it looks like he is trying to influence the verdict. If he is found guilty there is plenty of ammo for an appeal already.

Along with the violent mobs outside, which can be seen as a threat to the jury members if they don't make the "correct" choice.

At this point it's a given that BLM are going to start rioting (again) if he is found less than guilty on all charges.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom