DFI or MSI?

Soldato
no im saying i would have been interested when i was 15. You cant call a motherboard crap because its 'only' £50 or because it doesnt glow in the dark. im doing just as well with at as over peopel here, so your gonna have to do better than that :)

Caporegime
james.miller said:
no im saying i would have been interested when i was 15. You cant call a motherboard crap because its 'only' £50 or because it doesnt glow in the dark. im doing just as well with at as over peopel here, so your gonna have to do better than that :)

I'm not argueing the fact...

your mobo is not crap (i was joking) how can it be with a 3ghz opty in :p

All I am saying is that I like my DFI it has allowed me to do more things at lower voltage.

the fact that it glows is a bonus :D

The dual sata 2 at 42 quid is an amazing mobo.I recently did a build for a collegue and I plonked his new 3000 venice in and I was at 2.4ghz in a flash.

600 mhz overclock straight away on a 42 quid mobo. :)

I'm not for one spending money willy nilly.But after having an epox and asus mobo before the DFI my chip did no where near what it does now on such low vcore.

so the extra was worth it for me. :)

Soldato
easyrider said:
When did I say that?
Never said that at all. :confused:

Yeah, ok, you didnt say that at all... I sort of got carried away really, because thats Often the case with this kind of debate. Sorry :)

easyrider said:
I said the DFi alowed me to overclock further on less volts.

I dont see what the problem is.

What DFI and what MSI though?

With both makers, the ydo boards that do clock well, and boards that dont!

There is no problem.

easyrider said:
who cares about saving 40 quid when i'm saving over 400 on a cpu!

No one cares, you love the DFI and thats brilliant. I too love mine....
I also love my MSI's too and While I might have been saving a few bob with my DFI Boards, I was saving a lot more with my MSI ones!

Admittedly however, I dont currently have a 939 DFI... Mine are 754, while in the same breath I dont have any 754 MSI Boards... Those are all MSI.

easyrider said:
I have had epox, asus, and msi mobo's and the DFI wins in every area.

Overclocking, options, stability,appearance,performance

If you want the best, you have to pay for it.

Never been happy with EpoX Personally though I cannot fault them, My one and only Asus was for my Slot A 700 so thats a bit of a duff one to mention as it was awful until I found the right drivers and then it was great.

My experiance with DFI is simply that they are bloody awful, but, once you have them setup right, they are unbeatable... Its just getting them right thats often a pain. This one here for example was useless and never lasted more than about an hour without resetting, or giving a BSOD, and the cure to that was simply a BIOS update. Now, not everyone knows how to update the BIOS, and yes, what the hell are you doing with a DFI if you dont know the basics, but thats besides the point... Until that BIOS was swapped over, it was a useless board.

My MSIs however, hardly need a BIOS update ( Slight lie on the Neo2 as that failed to use the x2 till I upped it, but for the Winchester & Venice CPUs it was fine ).

I have not yet touched the BIOS ( I have obviously been in there, but not updated it ) on my Neo2 and I am currently at 2.75Ghz. I see no reason why I cannot get it to 3Ghz like the Neo2 did.

Soldato
the exact point i was trying to state in my post, everyone talks about some 'limiting' factor that the MSI has but the DFI hasn't, the only limiting factor for me when i had my MSI was my processor, it was clocked to its absolute limit of its performance, i did get upto 335HT stable, but had to lower the processor multi and the HT multiplier. i am totally with rakoon on this one, i don't see how so much more cost equates to any better of a motherboard. i think if temperature and your processor would become an issue before an MSI limited your overclocking, plus the BIOS is absolutely spot-on, its perfect, no other word for it, the layout, the features, nothing could be improved. (MSI K8N neo4 platinum was the board i had so its the board im refering to)

Soldato
This is all a waste of time, buy any brand overlock it/dont overclock it. . . why? well it doesnt really matter now because Conroes gonna blow your overclocked skt 939 setups away at stock! :rolleyes:

Associate
james.miller said:
no it isnt, its about me asking you why my 3ghz overclock isnt good enough, and why you think i've wasted my money. Questions which you can not directly answer, it seems. I'm doing better than most peopel with DFI's. what does that say about their dfi's?

there are a lot of boards that'll reach 300fsb and that magical 3ghz. One things for certain, you do not need to spend £150 on a motherboard to do it.

Your forgetting the point! look @ the first post what duz it say ???

MSI or DFI, Jet-Who ????? :confused:

ps. and answer to your question I dont think you have wasted £50 on your motherboard if your obtaining the results you are getting. Dont tell me that you would not prefer a board what you could tweak to your hearts Content. As easyrider puts it, he payed a higher premium on a board, overclocked with less voltage using his DFI achieving his aims, thus spending less on a higher clocked cpu. What would you rather spend a Premium of £40 or £400 Extra?

If you can get results like that is it not better to spend a slight higher premium on a Motherboard, And where did I say that "You need to spend £150 on a motherboard to reach your magical 3ghz". So whats the problem ? Is it that my original qoute was a bit harsh, alright fair enough, Im sorry for that, but I still stand my ground DFI Motherboards are still Better Boards :p . You get what you Pay For, Simple...

Last edited:
Soldato
dark4orz said:
Your forgetting the point! look @ the first post what duz it say ???

MSI or DFI, Jet-Who ????? :confused:
If you can get results like that is it not better to spend a slight higher premium on a Motherboard, And where did I say that "You need to spend £150 on a motherboard to reach your magical 3ghz". So whats the problem ? Is it that my original qoute was a bit harsh, alright fair enough, Im sorry for that, but I still stand my ground DFI Motherboards are still Better Boards :p . You get what you Pay For, Simple...

diminishing returns, that's what its all about. regardless of whats in the original post. Also, i digress - i can only count reading one post where a £150 motherboard has meant the user can use a lower cpu voltage. is it lower, or are the sensors off on that or his previous board?;)

What would you rather spend a Premium of £40 or £400 Extra?

£40 :confused: that's why i bought a cheap opteron and clocked the nuts off it with a cheap board. I thought that was obvious :)

Last edited:
Associate
You dont need a dfi board to overclock, check out my sig, thats not exactly a small clock. Using a dfi board might help squeeze a little bit more out of your chip if your going for an extreme overclock, but other than that a lot of other boards will be just as good.

Soldato
why? because you dont have a valid argument other than 'i cant spend my money however i want?' you are free to buy whatever you want, but dont for one second say that your expensive motherboard instantly makes it viably better than a cheaper board, and definatly dont try and tell me the components are better, as people really do try to justify their expensive purchaces with that one;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally, back when i bought my mobo, i ahd no idea how much pc's cost or anything. SO i jsut walked into to PC world (yes PC world) and picked up the best looking board there was. Just so ahppened it was a DFI. i chose it because it ahd a cool package and on *** abck some really nifty features, which i new nothing about. (also becasue it fitted my pc specs). Even better back at christmas it was in *** sale and only £79.99, same price as now.

I cant really compare this to another board. But i overclocks well, 2.19-->2.71 ghz, not exactly small, and i dobt inm really pushing my cpu that hard.

Associate
As I Said JetWay FANBOY You Get What You Pay For. Anyway YES ! Jetway is ching-chong cheap, crap nasty components, and it looks pants, more pants then MSI or Asrock (at least Asrock is made by Asus) I cannot knock Asus as they are good boards. As I said with quality you have to pay for. Theirs a big marginal difference in quality between my DFI Ultra-D & VENUS and your crappy W***Way !!! You would be better off putting your opteron in a DFI using less voltages @ 3ghz.

The fact of the matter is, DFI Boards are the BEST 939 Boards out there for overclocking PERIOD !! :D :D :D

Last edited:
Soldato
You know ive sat here and tried to think of a way to talk to you without you responding like a child, but i dont think i can do it. Maybe your idea of 'quality' differs to mine, but when im used to building equipiment with 10 itmes the cost vaule of any pc motherboard, maybe im in a better position to tell you what 'quality' components are. suffice to say, dfi's dont cost a tenth of their retail price to build.

If you can tell me wher i said a dfi venus wasnt the best 939 board, i'll happily appologise. However, if the best you can do is come up with a goading childish post like that above then i shan't bother wasting time on you.

Last edited:
Associate
dark4orz said:
As I Said JetWay FANBOY You Get What You Pay For. Anyway YES ! Jetway is ching-chong cheap, crap nasty components, and it looks pants, more pants then MSI or Asrock (at least Asrock is made by Asus) I cannot knock Asus as they are good boards. As I said with quality you have to pay for. Theirs a big marginal difference in quality between my DFI Ultra-D & VENUS and your crappy W***Way !!! You would be better off putting your opteron in a DFI using less voltages @ 3ghz.

The fact of the matter is, DFI Boards are the BEST 939 Boards out there for overclocking PERIOD !! :D :D :D

done well mate :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom