1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** Diablo 4 Thread **

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by flibby, Nov 1, 2019.

1. flibby

Sgarrista

David Kim shared a new update today.

TLDR:
    Personally I hope they remove Ancient items, although this is from a Diablo 3 perspective (assuming the hierarchy of items carries over into Diablo 4). I just don't think they're needed and are "cheap" chase items. It's good they are having items make less of an impact than they are in Diablo 3, but the majority of this came from sets and their insane multipliers to skills. Looking forward to an itemisation update though, and really glad to hear they are working on rares being viable.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  2. dragonslayer

Hitman

Keyed dungeons sound like mythic + dungeons in wow

3. flibby

Sgarrista

They've released part 2 of the system design talk, and they've made some good strides in listening to the community with regards to the changes. I'm really glad to see ancient legendaries gone, and that they are making rares as useful as possible.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-gb/diablo3/23230076/system-design-in-diablo-iv-part-ii

Here's some key parts:

4. flibby

Sgarrista

5. flibby

Sgarrista

New quarterly update for June:

Introduction
    Team Playtest
    A Word About Blockout
    Storytelling
    Open World
    Multiplayer
    Items and Progression
    Other Thoughts

There's some nice insights into how they are creating the world in this game update. The blockout information was interesting, as was their approach on storytelling and how they are using real-time cutscenes to keep the players emerged. They cover a lot of information that they are using for the game, and how they use play-test data from the beta to improve aspects. The multiplayer stuff was interesting, and I'm glad they stated that:

"We find that the game stops feeling like Diablo and the world feels less dangerous when you see other players too often or in too high numbers."

Itemisation is definitely improving from the screenshots they gave and the direction they state they are taking. There's good presence from the community managers on reddit also and they discussed that itemisation is very much still a work in progress, and the article states they'll have a juicier big update on itemisation later in the year.

6. Smokey Deza

Wise Guy

I just want them to get rid of the set items. It's sooo lame everyone striving for the same gear.

7. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

Even without sets you'll always have meta gear.

8. .Lethal

Soldato

Players are sharded out when you need to clear monsters to regain camps - that isn't fun or exciting, it's going to be oh I need to spend x time clearing trash to regain NPCs and the waypoint before players are magically sharded back into my game.
    If you lose a camp you should be required to group up to clear it and engage with players, no sharding - it kills immersion. You should feel like you accomplished something when you regain a town or camp. The group should be rewarded for saving them.

Mount trophies for killing a boss in act x? Doesn't get me excited. Also makes me question whether this stuff will be used for seasons or other nonsense as rewards. The problem is that Diablo 3, WoW etc aren't challenging which makes these rewards feel much less significant.

Weekly world bosses. The update made it clear we didn't even need to party up, just zerg for your loot. Granted they didn't call it weeklys, but given quite a bit has been taken from WoW, it wouldn't surprise me.

Itemisation. It's worrying at this point but if we go by what we know so far. Magic and Rare items suck, legendarys are mandatory (which is frustrating!) due to the talent/additional skill/bonus abilities. Hopefully with the update later this year when they go into this more they'll give us a ton more customisation options and expand the crafting options giving players many different ways to craft and grind amazing gear.

The problem with Blizzard is that they push these quarterly updates because their terrified of backlash. Quickly asking us for feedback and getting an overwhelming amount of it back. We want end game to keep us playing and itemisation/crafting/end game progression is extremely important. GR's were great when introduced but look at the depth of other games, PoE has amazing end game, I hope Blizzard give us something equally as good.

We all know the story play through will be great, details, visuals etc will be top notch. But end game, man they need to get it right.

9. Tombstone

Capodecina

Not yet pumped for what I've read of Diablo 4. To be honest, Path of Exile 2 has me more excited at this point in time.

10. SPG

Soldato

Blizzard are not that great anymore. They lost it after the shambles of diablo 3

11. Wrightyuk

Gangster

can't wait for this but its taking ages blizzard always seem to take ages loved diablo games

12. Drollic

Mobster

If it was the finished product at launch, it would of been really impressive. How they got it so wrong with that loot system is beyond a joke.

I played it from launch and remember seeing athene, krip and even kungen way beyond me and thinking if their gear is still bad, I've got no chance :D

13. ED209

Soldato

I am really looking forward to this.
    I quite enjoyed D3 and still pick it up every now and then when a new season starts.

is there a release date for the game yet?

14. Wrightyuk

Gangster

No where near yet but I'm sure I read somewhere before coronavirus hit that it would be late 2020 but not 100% sure

15. ED209

Soldato

ty, will keep an eye out and see what comes on the following months.

16. Wrightyuk

Gangster

ED209 I believe its going be a while i been checking every month since january for release info but nothing for 7 months best bet is next year now

17. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

No chance it's coming this year. They're going to need to have a lot there on release when you consider D3 had pretty much no end game when it launched.

18. JeditOjanen

Soldato

Remember how long the lead time was on D3, and how much it changed before release? It was years. Diablo 4 won't be out before 2022.

19. Gray2233

Mobster

I hope D4 is closer to the second game in some respects.

I'd like the ability to trade items, not on an auction house in the way it was implemented in 3 but being able to open up a trade screen with another player and barter your goods.

Runewords would be cool too for that matter.

I'd like sets to be retained but I'd rather they not give ridiculous OP abilities, make them more understated and more of a collectors thing much as they were in 2.

I'm not expecting much either way, Blizzard have been dropping the ball for the past few years now.

20. .Lethal

Soldato

It was never coming in 2020 that's just absurd, it was only revealed at Blizzcon 2019 and was so early in development that back then it was a few years away.

I'm sure we'll get to see more before Christmas despite no Blizzcon this year. I'm sure they'll give us something besides the quarterly update (or give us a bigger than usual update during the next one).