** Diablo 4 Thread **

D3K

D3K

Soldato
To be fair to Blizzard, they are in a no lose situation...no matter what anyone thinks of D4, it WILL be the biggest selling PC title of the year. In fact, it may even end up being the biggest selling PC title for many years, possibly even ever. Its going to be a truly massive commercial success. Regardless of how many people are playing it in a years time or 2 years time, the records will forever show that the biggest selling title of 2023 was Diablo 4. Thats a win for them regardless.

Commercial success is their (and your?) goalposts. The majority of looter enthusiasts are looking for a great game to spend a lot of time on.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Commercial success is their (and your?) goalposts. The majority of looter enthusiasts are looking for a great game to spend a lot of time on.
Commercial success isnt my goalpost no, if it was I wouldnt be sitting around every day playing computer games but Blizzard? a commercial game company whose final buck is profit, absolutely their goalpost is commercial success. Make no bones about it, devs and game companies dont make games primarily for us to have fun, they make games primarily to make profit, the fun is a means to an end and the end is $$

Last edited:
Soldato

They are a business with share holders, commercial success is all they care about. Those who love the genre for its complexity will continue to play games like PoE, if you don't like the difficulty and complexity of PoE there's last epoch which is sort of a middle ground between the two games. Many people I know, certainly those on our discord channel that play PoE and have done for 10+ years are all still going to try D4, but at the end of the day, we will always go back to PoE.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Commercial success isnt my goalpost no, if it was I wouldnt be sitting around every day playing computer games but Blizzard? a commercial game company whose final buck is profit, absolutely their goalpost is commercial success. Make no bones about it, devs and game companies dont make games primarily for us to have fun, they make games primarily to make profit, the fun is a means to an end and the end is $$
Wasn't a question on what their goalpost is, but you seem to be concerned over their commercial success beyond value to the customer. Meaningless for the end users unless it means the generation of more content to churn through.

Let's see how they fare with the battlepass system. That will be the true measure of success beyond initial box sales. If they want people to keep ponying up each season, they're gonna need to bring a bit more to the table imo.

They are a business with share holders, commercial success is all they care about. Those who love the genre for its complexity will continue to play games like PoE, if you don't like the difficulty and complexity of PoE there's last epoch which is sort of a middle ground between the two games. Many people I know, certainly those on our discord channel that play PoE and have done for 10+ years are all still going to try D4, but at the end of the day, we will always go back to PoE.
Again I wasn't questioning Blizzards agenda.

Soldato
thanks for the compliment considering i don't really jump into spreadsheets for my poe pleasure but nevermind. :p
quite simple really the diablo series pretty much created this whole genre and was most likely also the first arpg for many here. so I guess you could say that a lot of people would like to get back to diablo roots and not try to appease a wider audience but slimming more of the game system.

There's no spreadsheets required that's just another nonsense slur aimed at POE, what is required is a desire to learn learn new things and some patience while you do you so.

Man of Honour
Wasn't a question on what their goalpost is, but you seem to be concerned over their commercial success beyond value to the customer. Meaningless for the end users unless it means the generation of more content to churn through.

Let's see how they fare with the battlepass system. That will be the true measure of success beyond initial box sales. If they want people to keep ponying up each season, they're gonna need to bring a bit more to the table imo.
Well, "concerned" is probably not the right word, I dont care one way or the other whether its about commercial success or value to the customer, I was merely making the point that its going to be the biggest selling title of the year so no matter what the players think thats a win for Blizzard.

Associate
You don't really? Either you do or you don't :p

It may have been one of the originals in this genre but that doesn't mean they need to make it as complex as another game for the majority of the playerbase to like it.

I just find it weird that one poster is apparently fine with it but whenever there's an update in this thread with further information his response is along the lines of "that's lacklustre, btw PoE does this". Save your money and put the hours into PoE then instead :confused: I wouldn't be buying D4 on release if I found that much of the content to be lame.
i used to, but not anymore, so guess i'm retired spreadsheet andy :o.
think it's pretty much a given it will be compared to PoE regardless of what people want. D3 hit and it wasn't a successor to D2. PoE came around and it kinda claimed that crown.

anyways from my point of view an arpg has to have a few things for me to keep coming back playing.
good combat feel / character movement - which i think D4 has correct.
true random generated loot - again it seems D4 kinda hits the spot if they are staying true to what they say that the BiS items will be rares with imbued aspect things (this part is meh).
customization, which helps replayability, let me do build a skill to be a bosser or a mass aoe things or some other silly thing - this is where it falls apart for me.
no timed locked content (i.e. world bosses) - if i want to invest time and effort let me be able to do all content, however do not force me to play at 8pm on a tuesday night because that's the only time this thing is here and i'm busy doing the bins that day. :p

then lastly PoE has been around for a long time now and I kinda have seen it all now in the PoE world, i play most leagues, but depending on the league it might be a couple of weeks or 2months, before i move on. So then Diablo4 comes around and i was really hoping there will be a new kid on the block, but it seems it's not for me.

this is just the stuff off the top of my head, happy to add more if something comes to mind.

Caporegime

D4 will be bought and played by tens of millions of people spanning a wide range of ages due to its history. The majority of the playerbase isn't going to be no-lifing the game, they just want a good campaign with some lore, fun gameplay mechanics and then something they can dip in and out of without needing spreadsheets they've created or others to help them put builds together. Apparently no spreadsheets are required for PoE, although two people in the last few posts in this thread have admitted to using them.

People were on the copium if they truly believed Blizzard was going to do a U-turn and make Diablo anything like PoE. Their shareholders were never signing off on that for a start. Personally, I don't like the direction Blizzard is headed but it's the same for all the huge developers and publishers as that's where the mega bucks are.

Last edited:
Caporegime
We get it you prefer a different game but all these condescending digs about it and it's players are wearing thin.

Yeah, because there's zero thinly veiled insults in the other direction :rolleyes:

The spreadsheet Andy stuff is a meme but has some truth behind it, it's not an insult, more an exaggeration of the level of planning required for a PoE character.

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
D4 will be bought and played by tens of millions of people spanning a wide range of ages due to its history. The majority of the playerbase isn't going to be no-lifing the game, they just want a good campaign with some lore, fun gameplay mechanics and then something they can dip in and out of without needing spreadsheets they've created or others to help them put builds together. Apparently no spreadsheets are required for PoE, although two people in the last few posts in this thread have admitted to using them.

People were on the copium if they truly believed Blizzard was going to do a U-turn and make Diablo anything like PoE. Their shareholders were never signing off on that for a start. Personally, I don't like the direction Blizzard is headed but it's the same for all the huge developers and publishers as that's where the mega bucks are.

Just let the spreadsheet idea go. It's the same joke about EVE. It can be if you want it to be, but it's not mandatory or even necessary. edit i see you addressed it already
I've said it before and will again - I will enjoy D4 for what it is, at least once though the campaign and endgame grind. I will be interested they're holding back content for future seasons, or if they're gonna give us the same lightweight seasonal boosts as per D3, but it looks like it's heading that way if commercial success is the only drive - minimum effort maximum profits.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
minimum effort maximum profits.
Regardless of what our opinion/impressions are of any business company, maximised profits for minimized efforts is literally one of the tenets you are taught in Business, to make as much money as possible for as least cost as possible. Even Tencent, the much hated owner of PoE, knows that. All businesses do. Its a flaw in us as consumers that we have a tendency to put some companies on pedestals and think that they are not doing as little as they can for as much profit as possible and that our chosen, film studio, tv studio, hardware, software, etc etc company is in some way more noble/principled than that.

Last edited:
Soldato
The way this thread is going 2 months before release, it might be best to kill it off now. I don't understand half of what people are arguing about, but it doesn't add any value to the topic of Diablo 4, that much I know.

Don
The way this thread is going 2 months before release, it might be best to kill it off now. I don't understand half of what people are arguing about, but it doesn't add any value to the topic of Diablo 4, that much I know.

Because the usual crowd (or handful of people) like to intentionally crap all over something that other people enjoy to make themselves appear superior.

Personally I loved the D4 beta, I will buy the game on release and expect to spend many hours in the campaign with the different characters and play styles.

I've got no interest in a loot grinder, whether it's D4, poe or any other game.

D3K

D3K

Soldato

There was an endgame dev video released. Everyone is talking about it and sharing their opinions. It's the most important part of this genre, unless you're a sunday driver that is one n done and gives Wolcen a favourable rating.

Man of Honour
There was an endgame dev video released. Everyone is talking about it and sharing their opinions. It's the most important part of this genre, unless you're a sunday driver that is one n done and gives Wolcen a favourable rating.
I guess it depends on the title really, imo the best "arpg" on the market at the moment is Grim Dawn and thats not really got much of an endgame and is more of the leaning toward a one n done style

Associate
Bit concerned with the paragon system rewards but the idea seems neat. As some others have said, I'm more interested in the campaign and then end game for a wee while as the combat /gameplay itself was fun.

Back
Top Bottom