** Diablo 4 Thread **

Man of Honour
Doesn't necessarily have to mirror PoE, but it's lacking anything of substance so far that defines this as different to other games.
  • World tiers. Just harder more loot. Same as D3 Torments#
  • Nightmare dungeons. Again just harder more loot
  • Aspects. Can't actually believe that they list this busy work as an endgame feature. We already saw it in beta. I will fill it out, once, then never again except for the targetted aspects for my char
  • Bounties. Same as D3, but this time it's RNG rewards at a tree.
  • PvP. Right. Gonna appeal to a small demographic. Few people care about pvp in ARPG.
I was hoping to see a unique endgame system that is different to D3 and somehow unique to D4 amongst the other ARPGs. I am sure they could be capable of adding more to the game over seasons, but we have no guarantee. I will play the hell out of this, but not sure for how many seasons.
I'm actually ok with all of that tbh, all I wanted from D4 is more Diablo, like the old Assassins Creed players (who disliked AC Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla because they had strayed too far from AC ánd were no longer AC titles) all I wanted is more Diablo and that appears to be what I will get with D4, so alls good in my books :)

Associate
poe isnt complex, its bloated.
and a crafting simulator vs an arpg nowadays.

/snip
fair point, but in the same way poe isn't an arpg diablo 4 doesn't seem either.
skill tree leaf/twig is as barebones as it gets. guessing paragon board will go mostly the same way. so that leaves you with aspects to create build defining things, which you farm once as a tick box exercise to get the basic stuff and then hope for rng so you can craft it once on your better items. guess then there's uniques, which i don't know anything about.
so to me is a very shallow arpg, shame really :(

Soldato
How is poe a crafting simulator when its entirely optional content, you don't have to engage in it all, if you don't want to.

I agree that poe is pretty bloated now, but thats also a known problem that the devs are addressing. I wouldnt call the poe campaign a treadmill, you can finish it in a few hours. The same isn't the case with D4 which is expected to take 10 times longer. If you think the poe campaign is a slog now, wait until your on your 10th character in D4 and have to repeat the 35 hour campaign story (it probably wont be that long, i did act 1 in around 50 minutes)

Soldato
How is poe a crafting simulator when its entirely optional content, you don't have to engage in it all, if you don't want to.

I agree that poe is pretty bloated now, but thats also a known problem that the devs are addressing. I wouldnt call the poe campaign a treadmill, you can finish it in a few hours. The same isn't the case with D4 which is expected to take 10 times longer. If you think the poe campaign is a slog now, wait until your on your 10th character in D4 and have to repeat the 35 hour campaign story (it probably wont be that long, i did act 1 in around 50 minutes)

He just hates POE, and loves puddle deep Diablo.

Associate

Best gear is crafted, nothing drops that worth it.
Its also ridden with currency sinks along the way.
How is that an arpg then?

Its a craft simulator.
People dont get that, obviously.

Soldato
He just hates POE, and loves puddle deep Diablo.

It would seem that's the case, PoE have an expansion out tomorrow where your weapons get their own skill tree's which have the potential to be more complex than D4's skill twig.

As for D4's paragon board being all +5 stat, I mean PoE passive tree has plenty of travel nodes also, it really does depend on what sort of bonuses the magic/rare and legendary tiles give on the paragon boards. Are they generic +30% damage ones like some PoE notables or will they be build defining ones like Avatar of Fire, Minion Instability, Eldrich Battery or Chaos Innoculation.

Last edited:
Soldato
It would seem that's the case, PoE have an expansion out tomorrow where your weapons get their own skill tree's which have the potential to be more complex than D4's skill twig.

As for D4's paragon board being all +5 stat, I mean PoE passive tree has plenty of travel nodes also, it really does depend on what sort of bonuses the magic/rare and legendary tiles give on the paragon boards. Are they generic +30% damage ones like some PoE notables or will they be build defining ones like Avatar of Fire, Minion Instability, Eldrich Battery or Chaos Innoculation.

Basically pick any league mechanic and it has more depth than Diablo on it's own, the skill twig says it all, doesn't make D4 a bad game it just makes it baby's first ARPG.

Caporegime
I’d just like to know why spreadsheet Andy’s are malding in this D4 thread.

It was never going to satisfy the aRPG needs that long term PoE players have. It’s aimed at a much wider market for a start so they’re never going to put that level of complexity into it. The same way WoW is the most popular MMO but certainly not the most complex.

Man of Honour
fair point, but in the same way poe isn't an arpg diablo 4 doesn't seem either.
skill tree leaf/twig is as barebones as it gets. guessing paragon board will go mostly the same way. so that leaves you with aspects to create build defining things, which you farm once as a tick box exercise to get the basic stuff and then hope for rng so you can craft it once on your better items. guess then there's uniques, which i don't know anything about.
so to me is a very shallow arpg, shame really :(
I mean, to be fair, technically, none of them are aRPg's, they are just ag's , theres not really any roleplay going on in them (and no, having stats on things doesnt mean its "roleplay" :D ) , its much the same as how comparatively few people actually play an MMORPG (because many players dont actually do the RP part) they play an MMOG and even today fewer and fewer of those embrace the MM part so I guess it could even be said that really its an MOG :D

Last edited:
Associate

It was never going to satisfy the aRPG needs that long term PoE players have. It’s aimed at a much wider market for a start so they’re never going to put that level of complexity into it. The same way WoW is the most popular MMO but certainly not the most complex.
thanks for the compliment considering i don't really jump into spreadsheets for my poe pleasure but nevermind. :p
quite simple really the diablo series pretty much created this whole genre and was most likely also the first arpg for many here. so I guess you could say that a lot of people would like to get back to diablo roots and not try to appease a wider audience but slimming more of the game system.

Man of Honour
Yep, it is what it is, but some people just have to be be tribal about it.
Human nature I guess, the base need of some humans to need to be doing something that is in someway considered "better" or "superior" to what other people are doing and then insisting to everyone else that what they are doing is "better" or more significant in someway. We see it , and have seen it for countless decades, in all walks of life from tv shows to theatre to computer games and of course computer hardware. Its the backbone of all those Utd v Liverpool, Pepsi v Coke, Playstation v Xbox, Star Wars v Star Trek arguments which have waffled on for so many years

Caporegime
thanks for the compliment considering i don't really jump into spreadsheets for my poe pleasure but nevermind. :p
quite simple really the diablo series pretty much created this whole genre and was most likely also the first arpg for many here. so I guess you could say that a lot of people would like to get back to diablo roots and not try to appease a wider audience but slimming more of the game system.

You don't really? Either you do or you don't :p

It may have been one of the originals in this genre but that doesn't mean they need to make it as complex as another game for the majority of the playerbase to like it.

I just find it weird that one poster is apparently fine with it but whenever there's an update in this thread with further information his response is along the lines of "that's lacklustre, btw PoE does this". Save your money and put the hours into PoE then instead :confused: I wouldn't be buying D4 on release if I found that much of the content to be lame.

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato

There's a subculture of spreadsheet Andy's, but they are the ones that make PoE possible for the rest of us that cba with that pasttime. Just like it has a subculture of crafting enthusiasts, that take's the hard work off the shoulders of people that just wanna zoom zoom. Point is Poe has many layers of depth to how you play it, and Diablo doesn't.

Another reason why PoE players are interested is because that game, PoE, was created out of annoyance at the direction the Diablo franchise took with D3. They were expecting a spiritual successor, didn't get it, so created their own game. So plenty of us have been eagerly awaiting Blizzards response to this and hoping they would come out with a serious competitor to challenge PoEs depth. But instead we're getting Diablo 3.5 instead.

Man of Honour
There's a subculture of spreadsheet Andy's, but they are the ones that make PoE possible for the rest of us that cba with that pasttime. Just like it has a subculture of crafting enthusiasts, that take's the hard work off the shoulders of people that just wanna zoom zoom. Point is Poe has many layers of depth to how you play it, and Diablo doesn't.

Another reason why PoE players are interested is because that game, PoE, was created out of annoyance at the direction the Diablo franchise took with D3. They were expecting a spiritual successor, didn't get it, so created their own game. So plenty of us have been eagerly awaiting Blizzards response to this and hoping they would come out with a serious competitor to challenge PoEs depth. But instead we're getting Diablo 3.5 instead.
To be fair to Blizzard, they are in a no lose situation...no matter what anyone thinks of D4, it WILL be the biggest selling PC title of the year. In fact, it may even end up being the biggest selling PC title for many years, possibly even ever. Its going to be a truly massive commercial success. Regardless of how many people are playing it in a years time or 2 years time, the records will forever show that the biggest selling title of 2023 was Diablo 4. Thats a win for them regardless.

Back
Top Bottom