• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Did AMD just cancel Radeon R9 285X?

Soldato
Soldato
I think the biggest change a 285 gives is full Freesync support for the new displays coming out. Before that you needed 290 and above?

So given its price point and how well Freesync could give to low frame rate I say it's a very nice GPU on the mid range to have.

But compared to the 280 which has slightly better specs and more VRAM, I know which I'd go for ;)

But yeah, I believe it basically has Hawaii features on the Tonga GPU

Soldato
But compared to the 280 which has slightly better specs and more VRAM, I know which I'd go for ;)

But yeah, I believe it basically has Hawaii features on the Tonga GPU

While it's true the 280 is bit faster, if you compare 285 with Freesync and then 280 with normal vsync the 285 should be the better choice.

You could play games at 30fps and keep smooth frame.

Soldato
No rush for me, I more interested in getting away from 1080p than Freesync or Gsync. Although am willing to give it a try.

Still stand by sync free gaming ftw... Managed all these years am good.

Soldato
You think that now, wait until you try it. It is genuinely difficult to find words for it to explain to someone how brilliant it is, something you have to see in person for sure. IMO one of the biggest advancements in pc gaming for a long long time.

As I said in the gsync owners thread, I hope freesync lives up to gsync as its something all gamers should enjoy.

Soldato
I have had money set aside for GM200 going back MONTHS, gsync curiousity might end up costing me D:

Unless I can get a good price on a couple of Ti's or smt...

Caporegime
You think that now, wait until you try it. It is genuinely difficult to find words for it to explain to someone how brilliant it is, something you have to see in person for sure. IMO one of the biggest advancements in pc gaming for a long long time.

As I said in the gsync owners thread, I hope freesync lives up to gsync as its something all gamers should enjoy.

+1

Spot on Paul. It just flows so nicely, it is hard to explain and does need to be seen first hand. I couldn't go back now.

I have had money set aside for GM200 going back MONTHS, gsync curiousity might end up costing me D:

Unless I can get a good price on a couple of Ti's or smt...

You could always get it and return it but the biggest problem with that is, you won't return it :D

Caporegime
AMD will have to do something that doesn't involve pussy footing around if the 960/970 lives upto its hype.

I have said this before and i will say it again, if AMD let Nvidia run away with this by sitting on their hands thinking worse efficiency and lower performance is ok because they can just lower prices they will find themselves in the same position with GPU's that they do now with CPU's.

At which point it will probably be time for me to to get out of this game as i'm not paying £600 for a higher end GPU going up by £50 each year with 5% performance improvement and 10% efficiency improvement being the headline.

A 285X with exactly the same power consumption and just a bit faster that 280X is far from competitive with Maxwell. its pussy footing around, they have changed little in getting on 3 years now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well AMD are never shy of bigging up things they don't have ready, so this news right before nVidia launch is what surprised me.

Or maybe they are waiting to see what Nvidia does with the GTX970 and GTX980 first?? If the GTX970 is £240 and is as fast as an R9 290/R9 290X for example,they don't want to have an R9 285X for £220 which looks a bit of a fail and then they need to drop prices quickly . Alternatively if they released an R9 370X at a lower price it looks better with regards to PR and "its next gen."

AMD has been very quite in the past before - the most famous being the HD4850 and HD4870.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom