Difference between two Maxtor drives?

Associate
I have a Maxtor, very good drives - never had a prob :)

Cant actually see a diff apart from the warrenty and the work PRO lol - but im sure more of a HDD expert will know :)

Associate
williamw11 said:
Buy at your peril. Maxtor rep has plummeted recently and I have joined the numbers rma'ing drives. :(
Samsung or western digital are miles better.

Personal view ^^

As i said earlier never had a prob

But i guess wether there good or not will go on forever :)

Soldato
I have had two relatively new 16Mb Maxtor's become unreliable in the last couple of weeks - very disappointed myself as I have sworn by them for years

Next rig in a few weeks time willl be using seagates

Associate
OP
Actually, forget what I said - I was looking a WD drives and there's only one to choose from: the Caviar SE16 500GB. For some reason I got into my mind that it was Maxtor (probably because I have a Maxtor), but now I know what to get.

Thanks for your comments.

Soldato
Misiowiec said:
{snip}2) Maxtor Maxline Pro 500 500GB @ £164.50{snip}
MaXLine® Pro 500 drives are very large-capacity enterprise ATA disk drives meant for secondary online applications such as reference storage and data protection. Designed to serve the more cost-sensitive portion of the enterprise market, these drives deliver the best cost/GB while also offering advanced features that put the MaXLine Pro 500 drive at the forefront in secondary online storage for the enterprise.

In addition to supplementing traditional backups with disk-to-disk-to-tape options, MaXLine Pro 500 drives make possible additional data protection options such as point-in-time copies, snapshot clones and remote replication. For companies that need to maintain reference storage on-line as a supplement to frequently accessed online data, MaXLine Pro 500 drives are an ideal choice. They offer500GB of storage capacity, 3Gb SATA and ATA/133 interfaces, and are designed for mean time to failure of 1 million hours (based on a statistical sample) for low-I/O duty cycle nearline applications.
I'd go for that :cool:

Associate
williamw11 said:
Buy at your peril. Maxtor rep has plummeted recently and I have joined the numbers rma'ing drives. :(
Samsung or western digital are miles better.

Have just replaced the last of 6 Maxtor drives that died over a period of 3 months. Pretty shocking IMHO.

All now replaced with Samsung drives and the odd Raptor in the relevant machines.

Will never buy Maxtor again. Ever.

Back
Top Bottom