Disabled couple snooped on and accused of fraud by the DWP

Caporegime
Yes really. When you look at the full list of conditions it makes it look like they’ll pay out for anything, when we know that’s not the case.

I’ve personally dealt with hundreds of people with agoraphobia and all of them were diagnosed with other physical and/or mental health conditions beforehand or alongside it. Not one of them had only that on their record.

Soldato
Yes really. When you look at the full list of conditions it makes it look like they’ll pay out for anything, when we know that’s not the case.

I’ve personally dealt with hundreds of people with agoraphobia and all of them were diagnosed with other physical and/or mental health conditions beforehand or alongside it. Not one of them had only that on their record.

..."pay out for anything" yes quite lol..

I dont think your personal experience really qualifies you to say 'absolutely zero chance'.

Soldato
I know that, the response was about the comment on her lifestyle.

The coroner's report also covers that. There's more at the link.

Screenshot-20240312-130915-Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, didn't get to read the report.

No problem.

Whenever i see a newspaper report like "Coroner slams hospital over...", I'll go to the original report.

Coroners' "Prevention of Future Death" Reports are generally very clear and easy to read. They set out the background, circumstances of death and improvements to be made.

They are often about things like a lack of adequate fencing at a high drop, poor road signage or similar. When you see them regularly, it is disappointing how often a failure to do the basics well can have catastrophic consequences.

Associate
No problem.

Whenever i see a newspaper report like "Coroner slams hospital over...", I'll go to the original report.

Coroners' "Prevention of Future Death" Reports are generally very clear and easy to read. They set out the background, circumstances of death and improvements to be made.

They are often about things like a lack of adequate fencing at a high drop, poor road signage or similar. When you see them regularly, it is disappointing how often a failure to do the basics well can have catastrophic consequences.
Ye I agree , that is how things are improved (if taken seriously). I was just commenting on the lifestyle you said about. Reading that part of the report you could see that she may well have meant to harm herself whatever help she had.

Soldato
Ye I agree , that is how things are improved (if taken seriously). I was just commenting on the lifestyle you said about. Reading that part of the report you could see that she may well have meant to harm herself whatever help she had.

I used to read them regularly for work.

Suicide is a pretty regular cause of death in those reports- and the Coroner often finds MH hospitals/ police etc did not take adequate precautions. Often things like someone known to be at risk not being monitored adequately- for example going to the toilet in a&e after self-harming and hanging themselves with the light cord.

That job was no fun, at all.

Associate
I used to read them regularly for work.

Suicide is a pretty regular cause of death in those reports- and the Coroner often finds MH hospitals/ police etc did not take adequate precautions. Often things like someone known to be at risk not being monitored adequately- for example going to the toilet in a&e after self-harming and hanging themselves with the light cord.

That job was no fun, at all.
Yes, the son said about a job another crew had attended. Repeat caller threatening to hang themselves, waits til the crew turns up then slips on the rope. Worked every time until they forgot to leave the door unlocked and because the crew couldn't see them, they had to wait for the police to come out.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's literally a list of conditions for PIP so reasonable to assume its conditions eligible for PIP..

But we've already established that just having a condition, even a severe one where people can barely move, doesn't guarantee them PIP.

While absolutely zero may have been an exaggeration, I have enough experience to know that pretty much no one diagnosed with agoraphobia doesn't also have other conditions which will be a much bigger factor in their claim.

Associate
But we've already established that just having a condition, even a severe one where people can barely move, doesn't guarantee them PIP.

While absolutely zero may have been an exaggeration, I have enough experience to know that pretty much no one diagnosed with agoraphobia doesn't also have other conditions which will be a much bigger factor in their claim.
It will be more than likely that the other condition will start the agoraphobia.

Commissario
It will be more than likely that the other condition will start the agoraphobia.
Quite possibly.

I can imagine that knowing you run the risk of falling/getting hurt due to a medical condition whilst out will tend to put you off going out, or things like sight problems that mean you can't see dangers or even people easily let alone signage etc.
It doesn't help these days that many places won't have anywhere someone who needs to be able to stop/rest can, be they disabled or elderly, most towns and shopping centres for example seem to have got rid of most or all of the old benches*, and in some places where they still have "rest areas" they're those horrific no support sloped things that basically just give you something to lean on.
Despite supposedly disabled access being more important today than it used to be, a lot of places that have been refurbished/updated seem to have had choices made that actively make them worse for some of the most common mobility issues, especially the likes of train stations.

*In an attempt to force the homeless out of sight usually, it's amazing the IRA didn't manage to get councils to get rid of benches, as a smart designer came up with the mesh ones you couldn't hide something under, but the wish to force the homeless out of view did.

Last edited:
Associate
Quite possibly.

I can imagine that knowing you run the risk of falling/getting hurt due to a medical condition whilst out will tend to put you off going out, or things like sight problems that mean you can't see dangers or even people easily let alone signage etc.
It doesn't help these days that many places won't have anywhere someone who needs to be able to stop/rest can, be they disabled or elderly, most towns and shopping centres for example seem to have got rid of most or all of the old benches*, and in some places where they still have "rest areas" they're those horrific no support sloped things that basically just give you something to lean on.
Despite supposedly disabled access being more important today than it used to be, a lot of places that have been refurbished/updated seem to have had choices made that actively make them worse for some of the most common mobility issues, especially the likes of train stations.

*In an attempt to force the homeless out of sight usually, it's amazing the IRA didn't manage to get councils to get rid of benches, as a smart designer came up with the mesh ones you couldn't hide something under, but the wish to force the homeless out of view did.
Very true

Soldato
I know it's a serious subject but I just couldn't get this out of my head when I saw that

Says here you claim disability benefit, are you...?
  • Ali G: Yes, I iz actually spasticated. I iz got a terrible DJ'ing injury - I still ain't got full mobility in me main mixing finger...

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think pip is more about what you're able to do, not what specific condition you have.

Maybe writers cramp means the person as problems with their hands.

I don't see think pip should be listing conditions.

That's pretty much how it works. That's why looking at the success rates for conditions alone in the link above doesn't tell you the whole story. It makes it look like you've got a great chance of getting PIP for just having one mental health condition, when in fact successful claimants are often diagnosed with more than one and it's the combination of them and how that affects their day to day life.

For example, people with autism are very likely to also have ADHD, anxiety and depression. Even then, I've seen people with all 4 (more in some cases) score 0 on the first assessment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom