Disabled couple snooped on and accused of fraud by the DWP

Soldato
It does read very much Daily Mail.

Also the "free disability car" is an old one, given it's not exactly free as you give up most/all of your mobility component and that is IIRC harder to get than the "daily living" part especially for "mental health" issues (i'm surprised it wasn't described as a "free luxury car").
We took the money rather than the car.
The reduced council tax isn't a sure thing either, don't get that.
Free house neither, pay a portion of or mortgage but far from all.

Soldato
Well, not really because at his surgery you are 100% successful in getting a sick note.
So you've seen those records i assume? Or are you speaking from personal experience.

Not that the experience of a single surgery is indicative of the entire nation or anything, I'm just trying to establish what your evidence base is for your awfully specific claim of 93%.

Last edited:
Associate
So you've seen those records i assume? Or are you speaking from personal experience.

Not that the experience of a single surgery is indicative of the entire nation or anything, I'm just trying to establish what your evidence base is for your awfully specific claim of 93%.
No I haven’t seen any records, just his experience of 12 years as a GP at his surgery.

I agree one surgery doesn’t give overrule perspective. But I guess the only way to “test” would be for someone who doesn’t have any mental health issues to try. (Obviously I don’t condone fraud, so don’t)

Associate
Well my family friend is a GP. His view is that it is too easy to get signed off. He said many are playing the system and making the lives of those with genuine mental health issues more difficult.

1. Tell your GP that you have a mental health problem (Anxiety / depression) You have a 93% chance of getting signed off, as they are not allowed to confront you / call you a liar.

2. Pay someone to complete a pip form on your behalf. People do this for a living surprisingly and know how to play the system. They usually charge £100-£600

Enjoy many benefits such as:

Free house / flat and rent paid.

Free new disability car (replaced every 2-3 years)

Free household repairs / maintenance

Blue badge

Have as many kids as you desire, without any financial constraints / concerns.

Council tax paid / heavily discounted

Discounted broadband

Free transport / taxis to take your kids to and from school.

Free school meals

Free school uniforms

Free prescriptions

I can understand why some of the younger generation find a lifestyle on benefits enticing. Especially if you working full time earning sub £30k. I mean you have to be on £50k+ to stand any chance of getting a mortgage these days…
Welcome to the forum. Please do some research before making wildly inaccurate claims

You get some help with lots of things but it isn't free as you claiim.

Soldato
OP
I think a problem in the system that could be improved is when there are mental health support.

At the moment adult social care is pitiful. Having to wait months, sometimes years, for an initial appointment is dreadful.

Soldato
Well my family friend is a GP. His view is that it is too easy to get signed off. He said many are playing the system and making the lives of those with genuine mental health issues more difficult.

1. Tell your GP that you have a mental health problem (Anxiety / depression) You have a 93% chance of getting signed off, as they are not allowed to confront you / call you a liar.

2. Pay someone to complete a pip form on your behalf. People do this for a living surprisingly and know how to play the system. They usually charge £100-£600

Enjoy many benefits such as:

Free house / flat and rent paid.

Free new disability car (replaced every 2-3 years)

Free household repairs / maintenance

Blue badge

Have as many kids as you desire, without any financial constraints / concerns.

Council tax paid / heavily discounted

Discounted broadband

Free transport / taxis to take your kids to and from school.

Free school meals

Free school uniforms

Free prescriptions

I can understand why some of the younger generation find a lifestyle on benefits enticing. Especially if you working full time earning sub £30k. I mean you have to be on £50k+ to stand any chance of getting a mortgage these days…
New member posts whisper of a whisper mini essay as first post.

Seems legit. I must believe every word then.

Soldato
No I haven’t seen any records, just his experience of 12 years as a GP at his surgery.
Or that he was just putting you at ease by agreeing with a subject you broached with him, only way to know would be if you verified what he told you before repeating it.
I agree one surgery doesn’t give overrule perspective. But I guess the only way to “test” would be for someone who doesn’t have any mental health issues to try. (Obviously I don’t condone fraud, so don’t)
Or you could just verify if what someone told you is true or not before inadvertently being guilty of spreading what maybe misinformation.

Commissario
Welcome to the forum. Please do some research before making wildly inaccurate claims

You get some help with lots of things but it isn't free as you claiim.
Yup things like "household repairs" are IIRC done if you're eligible for several of the income related benefits and it's basically a necessity to keep your house habitable or your disability requires that adaptation. And it's not exactly free, they put a marker on the house so you cannot sell or rent it out for at least 7 years.
And most of those things are related to the actual disability, for example they won't pay for your new kitchen unless you need major adaptations and it's the only way to keep you in the house, but they might pay for a new stairlift or bathroom to be converted to a wetroom, or something like a roof repair.

Someone, somewhere realised that if someone owned a property it was probably cheaper long term to help keep them in a property they owned and was already largely suitable than force a family with a disabled (or elderly person) into a new home that would need adaptations again.

My parents had to get one of those grants when my mother had her failed hip op 20+ years ago, basically my parents didn't at the time have the money to pay for a stairlift and the wetroom conversion and the occupational therapist required to be fitted, and any other property they moved into would have been smaller/less suitable and required all the work that my father and I had already done* to be redone as well as the wetroom and likely stairlift (not many houses come with a full wetroom bathroom), and the council just did (without it being charged on the house) several other minor jobs as they were "standard recommendations" by the occupational therapist that basically took a council staffer a couple of hours.

*For example we'd already put in a slope at the front, fitted handrails inside and out, raised the path at the back and put in much bigger and shallower steps so my mum could get in and out the back door more easily (the council replaced our backdoor handrail with one that met their standard) and allowed the wheelchair to be got into and out of the house by the back door and built a custom shed for my mother to park her electric mobility (that we paid for not "free" or "motability") scooter in for storage and charging (I set the shed up with electrics and automatic lighting inside and out).

Soldato
Yup things like "household repairs" are IIRC done if you're eligible for several of the income related benefits and it's basically a necessity to keep your house habitable or your disability requires that adaptation. And it's not exactly free, they put a marker on the house so you cannot sell or rent it out for at least 7 years.
And most of those things are related to the actual disability, for example they won't pay for your new kitchen unless you need major adaptations and it's the only way to keep you in the house, but they might pay for a new stairlift or bathroom to be converted to a wetroom, or something like a roof repair.

Someone, somewhere realised that if someone owned a property it was probably cheaper long term to help keep them in a property they owned and was already largely suitable than force a family with a disabled (or elderly person) into a new home that would need adaptations again.

My parents had to get one of those grants when my mother had her failed hip op 20+ years ago, basically my parents didn't at the time have the money to pay for a stairlift and the wetroom conversion and the occupational therapist required to be fitted, and any other property they moved into would have been smaller/less suitable and required all the work that my father and I had already done* to be redone as well as the wetroom and likely stairlift (not many houses come with a full wetroom bathroom), and the council just did (without it being charged on the house) several other minor jobs as they were "standard recommendations" by the occupational therapist that basically took a council staffer a couple of hours.

*For example we'd already put in a slope at the front, fitted handrails inside and out, raised the path at the back and put in much bigger and shallower steps so my mum could get in and out the back door more easily (the council replaced our backdoor handrail with one that met their standard) and allowed the wheelchair to be got into and out of the house by the back door and built a custom shed for my mother to park her electric mobility (that we paid for not "free" or "motability") scooter in for storage and charging (I set the shed up with electrics and automatic lighting inside and out).
We've just had steps built at the front of the house for my son the drive is pretty steep otherwise.
Took about 18 months to sort out, we already have a wet room or they would have done that as well.
They've put a couple of rails in as well.
We asked at what point they move you and they said it was very rare these days only when the costs got insane.

I'm not a fan of the current carers system, my wife was forced to leave work to look after our son, and now we're being punished for doing it like we're doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This is a channel I watch regularly. The state of the trains (and some stations) for disabled people barely works.

This is a kind of day in the life of a disabled person trying to get to a disability event in Birmingham. But the trains can only carry 2 disabled wheelchair users at once. When there is a disability event with many disabled people travelling the current system easily becomes overwhelmed.

Commissario
Public transport for anyone who is in a wheelchair in the UK (or even if they "just" use crutches) is pretty poor and the rail network if godawful in a lot of places.

It's only something like 10 years since IIRC one of the biggest London (the biggest?) finally got platform lifts and that took something like 5 years to do, our local station only got a new walkway with lifts about 15 years after it had a "major refurbishment".

IIRC the excuse used by the train companies etc is usually "there isn't enough demand to warrant more spaces" (because disabled people know the train is the option of very last resort as they're so unsuitable) or "we are making reasonable adaptations" (5% of the population might be disabled, but we only need 2 wheelchair spaces per 100+ seats and no need for an easy way to get them on).

I remember trying to get my mum to London for a memorial service for her brother about 10 years ago, we were fortunate she could manage for short periods on two crutches so my brother got in the train first and helped her in with me behind her her in case she had issues, and my dad holding her wheelchair.
Ironically the easiest part of the whole process was parking at Milton Keynes train station were a traffic warden when asked pointed out we could park anywhere with her blue badge for however long we wanted.

I swear if some of the cabinet were in wheelchairs and the execs of the rail companies were in wheelchairs and had to use their own services things would probably change really quickly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom