Disappointed in the rift

Associate
Hi,

Got my rift yesterday but its been mostly a huge disappointment.

I bougt it for elite.
First the detail on objects at medium and far distance is extremely poor. Like playing a 640x400 game. Close up its sharp and ok.

Focus is bad. Nothing is really sharp like on a standard HD screen.
Screen door is pretty bad. Diagonal lines, no real solid colors.
Then the field of view sucks big time. Like looking down a toilet paper tube.
Then the comfort is poor. The padding is thin and radious of headset is too small for my face so it presses on the sides.
Looking around cockpit with eyes only everyting lack focus and text is almost unreadable.

This is with 2.0 set in the debug tool and 1.0 ss in game. Everything on max/ultra.

There Re of course some positives as well.
Mainly the scale of everything. Cockpit is large and you can walk around in it looking at stuff never seen before.
The feeling of being in the cockpit is very immersive even though the fov is bad.
Motion is very smooth, no judder or ghosting.

So due to the big disappointment i decided to sell it today.

And i am now asking myself or you if the vive is better?

Associate
For Elite? It's about the same (if not slightly worse according to some) however it's far outweighed by all the benefits of room scale which is the game changer.

If you are sticking with just Elite I would just get a bigger decent monitor and/or trackIR.

Associate
It's 1st gen kit, mate. If you keep that in mind it's about good enough imo. Try first? Its not the Matrix. Think back to ps2/ps3 resolution but with todays polycount and effects.

Associate
I guess you have'nt tried DK2... lol

I have just sold my DK2 for the same limitations. I'm tempted to get CV1 or the vive. Reading the ops post maybe I should defer till the next gen.

Its CV1 almost same as DK2?

Associate
I sold my Rift for all the resolution reasons in the OP, and I did find the headset not so comfortable (despite I think it being very well designed and made) and prone to misting up.
The little underground bits in Lucky's Tale where everything was close up were truly delightful, but I didn't buy a Rift just for views 2 feet in depth.

I hope VR does continue and develop. I would be happy to come back to it if the resolution appears like 1080p equivalent or better at all distances.

Last edited:
Soldato
I sold my Vive (and cancelled the Oculus) because outside of native VR it's disappointing. Conventional games suffer too much of a resolution drop and become annoying after a while. Car sims are the same.

However the Vive (and the Oculus eventually) are superb for the true VR room scale experience despite the short comings! If there had been more in depth games and I had more space 2.5m x2m was limiting me in sme titles. Then I'd have kept it.

Too tempting to make a quick profit and then see how VR develops.

Soldato
Pretty much the same reasons for why I decided to not buy gen 1. So far VR seems massively over hyped. I don't see the screens getting good enough for at least 5 years.

Soldato
Pretty much the same reasons for why I decided to not buy gen 1. So far VR seems massively over hyped. I don't see the screens getting good enough for at least 5 years.

I don't really think it is the screens as such, but rather the GPU horsepower to drive them at a minimum of 90fps with high level of detail.

I am quite sure they could have used screens with a better res in their first gen products. This would have pushed up the cost even further making it more expensive and also made it a product that very few, if any, would have been capable of using due to current hardware limitations.

Soldato
I get where OP is coming from, it does have its limitations. I haven't tried ED but I'm a regular user of DCS modules, so a sim environment.

For me I'd have to say that yes the resolution increase over the DK2 is great, stuff that was unreadable before is now readable, although small text does still have its issues. The one sticking point that had left me really disappointed is the FOV, it feels significantly lower in CV1 and I've felt less immersed because of it.

However, it is gen1 kit like others have said. In a few years it will be an essential bit of kit for any cockpit based gaming I reckon, cars space and planes.

And on a last note, if you think oculus currently isn't giving you a good enough resolution, I'd be extremely careful about swapping it for a vive, as I'd say you'll probably get similar if not all the things you're not happy with now. (fanboyism aside)

Soldato
Sometimes i wonder if some people have received defective rifts. Or not all rifts are the same.

After the Dk2 Elite experience i was quite pleased with the CV1 Elite experience. Running on Ultra no graphical anomalies or shimmering or anything (dk2 shimmering on text and bad aliasing was problematic) But everything was clear and sharp enough for me. Yep the FOV is very disappointing and i just have to get over that if i want to play in VR in this gen. And for me VR trumps any size monitor you can bring to the table.

I found things clear (even the red writing at the top left..msgs from ai etc) and very immersive and playable and i havent even tried using the oculus debug tool yet.

Soldato
First the detail on objects at medium and far distance is extremely poor. Like playing a 640x400 game. Close up its sharp and ok.

Focus is bad. Nothing is really sharp like on a standard HD screen.
Screen door is pretty bad. Diagonal lines, no real solid colours.
Then the field of view sucks big time. Like looking down a toilet paper tube.
Looking around cockpit with eyes only everything lack focus and text is almost unreadable.

These are the reasons why I'm not touching the first gen of VR. I understand that many people like the whole package of immersion, feeling of being "in there". For me, its always the visual acuity fidelity first.

Back
Top Bottom