Dissapointed with the Gen 10 HP MicroServer

Associate
Thats disappointing to hear! I was just looking into them as a nice little home media server.

The Gen 10s aren't terrible as a home media server, they're as capable as the Gen 8s in stock form. And at least they'll still be in warranty.
Its just that the Gen 8s can have all sorts of upgrading done, and more modding potential (stuffing extra drives in, changing out the processor).

Associate
The Gen 10s aren't terrible as a home media server, they're as capable as the Gen 8s in stock form. And at least they'll still be in warranty.
Its just that the Gen 8s can have all sorts of upgrading done, and more modding potential (stuffing extra drives in, changing out the processor).

Ah ok, thanks. I'll have a look to see if there are any good cashback deals on them.

Cat

Cat

Associate
Hi,
I'm interested in running a hp MicroServer to run VMware. I am sorely tempted to a refurbed gen 8, however parts like the CPU upgrade seem to be hard to find. I am reluctant to order a one 10 following the posts about complexity to alter settings and also eventually to modify the server. Any advice greatly received.

Thanks..

Soldato
Hi,
I'm interested in running a hp MicroServer to run VMware. I am sorely tempted to a refurbed gen 8, however parts like the CPU upgrade seem to be hard to find. I am reluctant to order a one 10 following the posts about complexity to alter settings and also eventually to modify the server. Any advice greatly received.

Thanks..

I sat down and asked very similar questions earlier this year, I have mixed feelings at this stage. With the right workload, desire for low power consumption and at the right price, the G8’s a decent server, but you can do better for the money and as pointed out, pushing the CPU workload means paying over the odds for a limited (though HP did add additional microcode support) range of chips.

In the end I used an existing case/PSU/SSD, picked up a cheap x99 board, Xeon 2630L v3 (8c/16t@65w) and 8GB of DDR4, it cost me less than a Gen8, is significantly more expandable and more suited to my usage. The only real down side is slightly higher power usage. It’s still lower than the two lower power systems it replaced.

Associate
With the price of gen 8s at the moment better off building your own server. I think I only paid £109 for mine when they were released so at the time it as a no brainer. I've upgraded the ram to 16gb, put in a gtx 1050ti and stuck a xeon e3 1265l V2 (£90 off the bay) and it's perfect as a media server. Looking at the money people want for these and the parts now are crazy!

Associate
I have a Gen10 and ordinarily I'd recommend one - in stock form they beat a stock G8 - but not for VMware

It isn't certified for use with VMware and you're likely to have issues with drivers during installation of ESX on the metal.

I wanted to practice HyperV and use mine for that platform. Having said that I wouldn't pay full price for one - as usual they're only worth it during casback promos.

Back
Top Bottom