Dissapointed with the Gen 10 HP MicroServer

Associate
Amusingly, I had a pre-sales tech call with HPE recently, where the HPE server technical expert wasn’t aware they’d not put iLo on the Gen10! We’re (likely) having to use ML30 Gen9 instead, which is a right pain from the physical size point of view... gutted really, as we’ve got a few hundred Gen8 out there! A leading system supplier also paid tribute to our use case for the Gen8 as well (copied what we did), and they’re in the same boat now too.

Oh HPE, you were doing so well with the Gen8...

GDL

GDL

Associate
Which reseller?
If you pass me over the hardware spec I'll run it past mine and see what they can do if ya like?

Associate
I'm really happy with my Gen10 but it's not used for much like you lot, it sits as a media server for Kodi (downstairs) as well as it uploads everything to the cloud for back up. Currently got 2x 6TB WD Reds in it in RAID1 and a SSD for the OS drive on W10 and it works very happily.

Stoner81.

Associate
I'm really happy with my Gen10 but it's not used for much like you lot, it sits as a media server for Kodi (downstairs) as well as it uploads everything to the cloud for back up. Currently got 2x 6TB WD Reds in it in RAID1 and a SSD for the OS drive on W10 and it works very happily.

Stoner81.

Do you use the onboard Display Ports at all?

Want to know if they can output 4K resolution to my 4K TV. (via Windows 10 & Kodi, rather than DNLA, FreeNAS, etc, etc).

Associate
Very happy Gen8 owner, but as a home media user some of the features lost on the newer model don't concern me that much.

But as an aside is the fan noise comparable on the Gen10, i.e. it's about as loud as a Gen8?

Associate
Do you use the onboard Display Ports at all?

Want to know if they can output 4K resolution to my 4K TV. (via Windows 10 & Kodi, rather than DNLA, FreeNAS, etc, etc).

No I don't, the monitor I use is a really old thing that I got given but it fits in the space there is :D I just use the regualr VGA socket. If I had to guess I would say it would struggle doing 4K out of the box using on board graphics.

Very happy Gen8 owner, but as a home media user some of the features lost on the newer model don't concern me that much.

But as an aside is the fan noise comparable on the Gen10, i.e. it's about as loud as a Gen8?

I found it to be quite loud at first but having said that I didn't have anything previously so I'm probably the last person to listen to :) now that I have had it a while I have gotten used to it so it's not that loud that it will drive you mad or whatever :D

Stoner81.

Associate
I found it to be quite loud at first but having said that I didn't have anything previously so I'm probably the last person to listen to :) now that I have had it a while I have gotten used to it so it's not that loud that it will drive you mad or whatever :D.

Thank you. I suspect it's similar to the G8 fan noise. I know there were a lot of complaints with the G8 on early firmware because the fans wouldn't run that quiet in ACHI mode, although this was updated in the newer firmware from what I can remember. Even with the fan at it's normal 8/9% (according to iLo) it still a audible noise in my small office, and hence I wondered if the G10 was a quieter server (even though I suspect they don't worry too much about acoustics for home use).

Associate

It's mostly like a low humming noise more than anything else, I not really sure how else to explain it.

Stoner81.

Back
Top Bottom