Ditch my Thermaltake Monster for...

Soldato
Will not beat the Prae on anything but cooling, its slightly below the Prae in everything else, but then when you consider the price its phenominal value.

Permabanned
Yeah. I don't think I could live without a mobo tray now ive used one for example. Id just like to have one just to say I have one though, since its probably one of the best all around cases ever.

Soldato
I usually do not use them, I find it hard to tidy cables when using one as I never plan far enough ahead and take each cable one at a time so the tray is a hassle for me.

Handy for testing rigs I can not disagree with and can make building the rig easier depending on the case. :)

The v1000+ for example would not benefit from a tray at all.

Soldato
Keylow said:
Yeah. I don't think I could live without a mobo tray now ive used one for example. Id just like to have one just to say I have one though, since its probably one of the best all around cases ever.
I Know what you mean about the mobo tray, really makes the job a breeze, its not a necessity but puts a smile on your face as its just so easy.

Mark

Soldato
Mark A said:
I Know what you mean about the mobo tray, really makes the job a breeze, its not a necessity but puts a smile on your face as its just so easy.

Mark

Only newer trays, older ones are not big enough to get a large HSF through the space at the back. ;)

Associate
OP
The Lian-Li PC7 arrived yesterday from OcUK and it had the 2x120mm fan bays that I hoped for! yay!

Looks really nice and everything fits in just perfect. The whole machine sounds even louder than before though!!!!! aaaaarrrghhhh!!!

I can't seem to pick out exactly where the noise is coming from when I poke my head into the case.

Components that may be noisy:

- 2x120mm Fans (I have exchanged one of the statdard fans for an Akasa amber already)
- PSU - Tagan 480-U22
- CPU - Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower (set to slowest speed)
- GPU - Zalman VF700-CU
- 2x WD 75Gb Raptors

Apart from those items I cannot think what else might be causing noise. My first instinct is to blame the Raptors but i'm no expert!

Anyone have the same problem?? any ideas how to easily quiet things down?

Thanks for all your help chaps! much appreciated! :)

Soldato
Ok, simple one to start list to start with.

1) Is it fan noise or does it go away when you press the side panels in?

2) Unplug the power for your raptors and boot up, is it now better? (plug back in after)

3) Unplug the Ambers and see if that stops the noise?

Three things I would start with, all are VERY easy to sort out. :)

Soldato
Yewen said:
mekrel0241wh.jpg

Is that a hard drive in the floppy drive bay? i was thinking of putting mine in there (i only have 1 hard drive) but i put it in the the tray attached to the botton. I was wondering if i could remove that tray at the bottom and put the hard drive in the floppy drive part to make it look less cluttered would that work? Also seems like that bottom tray blockes the front fan from pushing air deep into the case

Soldato
I finally got round to doing it but i dont seem to have a floppy drive bezel so i can see my ugly hard drive from the front!

Associate
OP
Yewen said:
Ok, simple one to start list to start with.

1) Is it fan noise or does it go away when you press the side panels in?

2) Unplug the power for your raptors and boot up, is it now better? (plug back in after)

3) Unplug the Ambers and see if that stops the noise?

Three things I would start with, all are VERY easy to sort out. :)

Ok I unplugged everything and one by one put them all back on.

It appears that there is a low vibration noise eminating from the two Raptors. This is then accompanied by a higher pitch noise from both the 120mm fans (although it is more air-rush through the vents I think)

So im guessing i need to get something to reduce the HDD vibration and maybe get the fans to run at a lower RPM?

Associate
OP
Whilst browsing the OcUK site I found the OcUK Silentmaxx Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure . Has anyone used one of these? Are they actually any good? They mention they reduce hard drive noise by over 95% but does that include vibration noise?

The volt modding is interesting for the fans but none of them have the Molex connectors. They both have 3-pin power.

I have the Lian-Li case fan temp/rpm controller installed but I don't think you can specify what RPM to run at? it just displayes the RPM?

Soldato
Yeh it just shows it.

The SilenMAXX enclosures are great bits of kit, they are mounted on rubber so eliminate most vibration, and they have the nice trait of eliminating hard drive seek noise.

Expensive, but quite good bits of kit if your after that last bit towards silence.

Usually a lot more to change before you get to buying them though.

Associate
In case (no pun intended) anyone is still in any doubt, the Lian-Li PC7 i ordered yesterday arrived this morning with 2 x 12cm fans. Mine don't seem noisy at all, although, i did put it all together at work in a rather noisy office. but it's certainly more quiet than the case I had before.

Associate
OP
I think mine is more noticeable as its in my bedroom and I use it for movies etc, so everytime there is a quiet scene I suddenly become very aware of the pc noise!

Maybe i'm just too fussy?? I only ever get to compare it to my office pc which is a bog standard Dell which doesnt need any high-end components and cooling fans the size of dustbin lids!

Back
Top Bottom