DJI Osmo Pocket

Caporegime
Well looks like I’ll have mine tomorrow, place I ordered from emailed me to say they got a few in but no expansion kit, which would delay my order.
So called them up and they said they will ship the pocket out to me and send the expansion kit when it comes into stock, which should be sometime in Jan.

Looking forward to having another little gadget to play with:p

Caporegime
So 8am I get a knock and my my dji picket osmo has finally turned up.
Like an excited kid at Xmas I ripped open the box and pulled out my beauty :p.

Opened the box and just wow at the size, it’s really small :eek: haven’t had a chance to set it up as in waiting for my 128gb sd card to turn up.

But so far looks really impressive.

Last edited:
Soldato
So 8am I get a knock and my my dji picket osmo has finally turned up.
Like an excited kid at Xmas I ripped open the box and pulled out my beauty :p.

Opened the box and just wow at the size, it’s really small :eek: haven’t had a chance to set it up as in waiting for my 128gb sd card to turn up.

But so far looks really impressive.

Out of curiosity. How do you plan on using it? Do you vlog?

Caporegime
Out of curiosity. How do you plan on using it? Do you vlog?
Plan to take it with me when I go on my holidays and for just general stuff. But I don’t vlog or ever felt the need to do vlogging.
I’ve been after a gimbal-esque type of device for a while now and the pocket osmo fits the bill.

Saying it’s not without it’s little quirks though. A few things are annoying about it but I’m still awed by it’s size and capabilities in such a small device. My favourite feature is the time lapse feature, it’s just so cool.

Caporegime
Now that some of you are using the Pocket, how is it?? Are you happy?

I'm still waiting for mine :(
Happy with mine but it’s not without it’s negatives though.

Hopefully the expansion pack is released soon along with the nd filters. Not really keen on having the phone attached to the side of the pocket osmo as the weak point is the connector. My other gripe is the non removable battery but I get a good 6-7 hrs use out of it depending on the resolution.

But yeh the accessories can’t come soon enough, I like the looks of the new charging case so that’s another accessory I’ll be buying when released.

Soldato
This does look an interesting device.
I've just bought a Canon 200D for video and missed the launch of the DJI Osmo Pocket but after reading up on it, it's not what I need - I'm filming football matches from the sideline.

I like the light weight & compact size and I need some stabilisation, although not to the level of this i.e. I won't be walking or running. Also I don't need 4K video.
The DSLR brings changeable lenses so more focal length and it seems better image quality from the larger sensor. It's a larger unit to hold with a bit more weight but still manageable for hand holding for the time I need.

If DJI release a larger version with a bigger sensor and some more zoom then I might be interested.

Soldato
The Pocket arrived yesterday with the latest firmware already installed. No major videos/pictures taken yet, but I've done a timelapse from my window and it looks good :)

Soldato
New firmware released.......

• Added 1080p 25/50fps and 4K 25/50fps resolution to basic settings.
  • Added support to shoot 3x3 panorama photos when the tilt axis is between -20° and 80°.
  • Optimized ActiveTrack in DJI Mimo when detecting people’s head and shoulders in camera view.
  • Increased the time that the gimbal is in position to fit into the cover from five to eight seconds.
  • Optimized the focus in some situations.
  • Optimized ActiveTrack when the gimbal is in Portrait and Flashlight mode.
  • Fixed the issue where a red tint appeared when using Auto White Balance (AWB) in scenes that were predominantly green.
  • Fixed the issue affecting some devices where the charging time was slow.

Soldato
Mine arrives today. I've had action cameras before for use when mountain biking etc, but this will used to record group training runs and I may even use it during some races, maybe even Ironman Wales later this year as it's small enough to carry through the race (aside from the swim of course :p).

Soldato
I'll hopefully have some later today after my lunchtime run. It won't be anything terribly exciting or cleverly edited mind.. :D

Well, I did go for a run and I did capture quite a bit of footage in 4k. The stuff I watched back looked pretty good but unfortunately I discovered I couldn't actually edit 4k footage in the Mimo App. WTH?! So they force users to connect to this app with USB C or Lightning capable phones to activate the camera before you can use it properly, but when you want to edit some of the 4k footage you've shot with it, the app doesn't support editing of it at all, can only view it... Barmy. Funnily enough I used the Gopro Quik app and it would allow me to edit it in there, but not in 4k. So, I'm returning my Osmo Pocket until the app allows 4k editing. By then it will probably be cheaper too.

Soldato
In my opinion 4k video is currently overkill - The storage requirements are big, you need a powerful PC to edit the footage and the majority of the audience won’t have a 4k capable display device/screen to watch it on.

Soldato
In my opinion 4k video is currently overkill - The storage requirements are big, you need a powerful PC to edit the footage and the majority of the audience won’t have a 4k capable display device/screen to watch it on.
Whilst I agree with most of that, it still should be something DJI should have got working. I perhaps wouldn't render an edit at 4k anyway as 1080p is still decent, especially for social media, but being able to start the edit process with the best quality footage would be useful.

Soldato
I'm sure I read that DJI will change things in a future firmware so that you don't need the phone connected to change the settings.

It does defeat the object of having a small camera but to get the most out of it you need other gadgets

Soldato
I think that demand for 4k just isn't there yet, as so much media is consumed on mobile devices where 95% of the audience don't really appreciate the difference apart from the lack of buffering during playback. I've been on a winter hunt for a new action camera for my motorbike helmet, and eventually settled on the new Drift Ghost X, moving away from GoPro for the first time in years. The Ghost X only does 1080/30, but it is just one camera angle plus it has huge battery life, a low profile on the helmet and capability to record sound from an attached mic. GoPro doesn't really do any of these things, even with the discontinued Session line, and they're now all about huge resolution and image stabilisation. In that respect, I think, they've gone back to their core. They're advertising scenarios that people aspire to be in and video themselves, but 99% of people never will be.

I think the Osmo has a whiff of that about it. Perhaps playing to the audience who think that they can build a 100k YouTube channel with the addition of some cool, stabilised video. But then the reality kicks in that their content is actually boring, and they can't edit it anyway!

Back
Top Bottom