• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DLSS 2.0: why aren’t more people raving about it?

Associate
Minecraft is 10 year old indie game, it has nothing to with AAA gaming on PC.

AMD probably would dispute the numbers.....
it has everything to do with triple a gaming, it has dlss and raytracing and again is the biggest selling game of all time regardless of its roots its completely relevant. ive given you an example from nvidia to why the steam hardware survey is wrong, feel free to go back and read it :)

Associate
it has everything to do with triple a gaming, it has dlss and raytracing and again is the biggest selling game of all time regardless of its roots its completely relevant. ive given you an example from nvidia to why the steam hardware survey is wrong, feel free to go back and read it :)

Pretty sure I read it two years ago, I wasn't convinced then either. :)

Associate
Pretty sure I read it two years ago, I wasn't convinced then either. :)
think you missed the edit so ive added it below for you.
and these steam figures are contradicted by nvidias sales figures too, by all accounts amphere is the best selling nvidia gpu period. gaming revenue is up by $2.27 billion for q1 2021 thats an almost 40% increase on q1 2020. tally that into the steam hardware survey :p which is what 12.5%? seems abit low to me :D

not to mention 2000 series was more expensive than 3000 series pre inflation, so you can discount that angle..

ps ive disabled my hardware logging so im 100% telling you its wrong :p

Soldato
Best selling? Citation needed. Fastest selling, perhaps. And how many of them went to gamers vs miners?

Even then, you're dismissing numbers from a survey without providing any counter-evidence other than 'I've disabled my hardware logging'...

Ampere launched later in the year, and were far more 'worth' buying than Turing, feeding into pent up demand alongside miners, of course q1 2021 is way better than q1 2020...

EDIT: As for developers, even if you're going for a big AAA game designing it to *need* DLSS would be a poor move. It would then run like a dog on the majority of cards out there, and on the consoles. Great business decision.

Some of the most popular games released are ones, like Doom Eternal, that look good and run on a huge variety of hardware. Generally not ones that limit their audience to the top few percent of PC gamers.

Soldato
you missed the old post then with evidence etc :p

You mean the link claiming that Steam results undercount AMD, and by implication overcount Intel/Nvidia, that evidence?

That doesn't really prove anything regarding 20/30 series to completely disregard the one datapoint we have access to... imo at least.

Caporegime
At the start, walk towards portrait pictures on the walls and see if from far away they are lower quality and as you get closer if they just pop in. Also with text on walls. That is the issue I had when I tried it last year. Only happened when dlss was on.
Been playing there and haven't noticed anything like this yet tbh, might have just been that starting area maybe?

Noticed the ghosting/trailing issue with DLSS in this tonight for the first time though, it's when the glass/window has shattered, the trailing/ghosting issue is very obvious here but alas, not a deal breaker, or rather, the massive FPS boost outweighs that con....

Soldato
I find it funny that people keep saying "AMD are making an open standard" and "When AMD release theirs" etc etc

AMD are doing nothing... MS are developing and releasing Direct ML, all AMD need to do is program their drivers to know what it is. AMD are just waiting for somebody else to do the hard work and when it's finished people will climb on their high horses and claim AMD are saviours because they're supporting the open standard. When in fact NV will also support Direct ML and you need to ask yourself, would MS have actively developed Direct ML if NV hadn't given them the nudge by making their own proprietary DLSS? And would AMD be supporting Direct ML so vocally is DLSS didn't exist?

Hopefully having Direct ML will encourage devs to use it more though, it would be a saving grace for people who game on mid-range cards!!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Been playing there and haven't noticed anything like this yet tbh, might have just been that starting area maybe?

Noticed the ghosting/trailing issue with DLSS in this tonight for the first time though, it's when the glass/window has shattered, the trailing/ghosting issue is very obvious here but alas, not a deal breaker, or rather, the massive FPS boost outweighs that con....
Fair enough. Could be it was fixed in an update or something.

Associate
You mean the link claiming that Steam results undercount AMD, and by implication overcount Intel/Nvidia, that evidence?

That doesn't really prove anything regarding 20/30 series to completely disregard the one datapoint we have access to... imo at least.
its well documented to be wrong, not sure why you are arguing. go google there's hundreds of people who do this stuff for a living claiming that the analytics are bad. being defensive over steam stats doesn't gain you anything. :D

Last edited:

TrM

TrM

Associate
I find it funny that people keep saying "AMD are making an open standard" and "When AMD release theirs" etc etc

AMD are doing nothing... MS are developing and releasing Direct ML, all AMD need to do is program their drivers to know what it is. AMD are just waiting for somebody else to do the hard work and when it's finished people will climb on their high horses and claim AMD are saviours because they're supporting the open standard. When in fact NV will also support Direct ML and you need to ask yourself, would MS have actively developed Direct ML if NV hadn't given them the nudge by making their own proprietary DLSS? And would AMD be supporting Direct ML so vocally is DLSS didn't exist?

Hopefully having Direct ML will encourage devs to use it more though, it would be a saving grace for people who game on mid-range cards!!

I did say I'm my post that and is based in the Microsoft ML. But Nvidia did come out with there own version great for them but as we have only seen it Inna limited amount of games it has had a slow uptake of it being used.

Amd do support the open standard though and since currently there are only 2 mid to high end graphic card makers AMD will get the credit for a open DLSS sort of option. I don't think it will be as good as Nvidia version and Nvidia would get credit for there version and I hope it takes off a lot more then it has. I find it makes up for or the massive performance hit of the current implementation of ray tracing.

But if AMD does do what it promises and works with most games and is indeed open to all graphic cards then it will push ai scalling to many many more games then hopefully the Devs will it the extra effort into DLSS

Permabanned
I'm so very bored right now I actually did just that, roughly 12.5% of the steam survey sample has a 20/30 series nvidia card... Who is going to go and spend development time on DLSS for those cards, especially when they essentially represent the *most* powerful cards on the survey and least likely to need extra performance...

The other way to look at it is who is most likely to spend £60+ on your new title? Someone who spends £150 on a GPU or someone who spends £650+ if not more?

Associate
The other way to look at it is who is most likely to spend £60+ on your new title? Someone who spends £150 on a GPU or someone who spends £650+ if not more?

Agreed, Steam results don’t reflect the market as the platform sells more than just AAA titles.

Back
Top Bottom