• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DLSS Momentum Continues: 50 Released and Upcoming DLSS 3 Games, Over 250 DLSS Games and Creative Apps Available Now

I thought DLSS was meant to be dead by now since you know there is the open source alternative called FSR…:cry:

Yeah I could have sworn we had a few on here saying that and also because "fsr is free"...... ;) :p Heck, a lot of the press media also had their articles of "dlss is dead" that day fsr was announced, in fact, they had that when fsr 1 was released then also when fsr 2 was released :cry: Wonder if they will same the same when FSR 3 gets released? :D

It would be a real shame though if dlss did show signs of it "dying" as even with the latest versions of FSR 2+, it's still not a patch on dlss in my experience especially with lower presets.

Hopefully Nvidia keeps updating it making it better and better as we’ve seen they do until now.

No doubt they will keep improving it (especially for lower presets) and probably a lot more dlss like features to come yet, nvidia are miles ahead in the AI industry currently.

When I played Crysis 3 Remastered, DLSS2 made a hell of a difference in aliasing and pixel crawling while also increasing FPS. While FSR2+ is good I did not see the same level of quality when it came to aliasing/pixel crawling being reduced in the games I tested.

Yeah fsr 2 pales in comparison when it comes to temporal stability, I suspect this is largely down to developers not putting the effort in to get good results (since dlss is more plug in and play than fsr, which is why fsr is so hit and miss a lot of the time) and also because amd tend to oversharpen with their methods, which just enhances image artifacting even more.

FSR 3 is sounding like it could be a game changer, and if they reach the goal of implementing it well, then all GPUs should get twice the performance of FSR2.x, meaning no need to buy an RTX 40 series :p

Sadly if anything like FSR 1 and FSR 2 though, the quality won't be there not to mention, the slow uptake :(

If it helps fuel competition then it's nothing to be hesitant about. FSR 2.1 is actually decent (depending on the game) - Callisto Protocol for example it works great.

FWIW I am an Nvidia gamer, and anything that improves fps without sacrificing quality is a big plus, especially if a given game only supports FSR with no way to mod in DLSS. I'd rather not give near £1000 to Nvidia again on a new GPU, AMD's cards just don't cut it as an overall package for my needs.

Pretty much, that's the only good thing about amd and their solutions, it keeps nvidia innovating and pushing forward, no doubt it would be the same if the situation was reversed.

Reactions: mrk

Speaking of overall image quality, there are also a few important issues of note. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 | Warzone 2.0 is a fast paced first person shooter, so when using any temporal upscaling solutions, the temporal stability of the image is key to enjoyable gameplay. When using DLSS, the image was stable in motion in Quality modes, the level of detail rendered in vegetation and tree leaves is improved in comparison to the in-game Filmic SMAA T2X solution, and small details in the distance, such as wires or thin steel objects, are rendered more correctly and completely, and the DLSS implementation greatly reduces the shimmering issues, which are clearly visible on the in-game Filmic SMAA T2X solution. The FSR 2.1 implementation comes with noticeable compromises in image quality—in favor of performance in most sequences of the game. We spotted excessive shimmering and flickering on vegetation, tree leaves and thin steel objects; they are shimmering even when standing still and it is visible even at 4K FSR 2.1 Quality mode, which might be quite distracting for some people, and when going down from FSR 2.1 Quality mode to Balanced or Performance mode, the whole image will start to shimmer even more. Only the DLAA solution will completely eliminate any of the shimmering issues in this game. Also, the FSR 2.1 implementation has some weird ghosting and smearing on shadows in motion, mainly on characters shadows, and it is especially visible when moving through the grassy areas of the map.

Speaking of performance, compared to DLSS, FSR 2.1 has slightly smaller performance gains across all resolutions, while also producing more image quality issues compared to other available temporal upscaling techniques. Overall, the FSR 2.1 performance uplift at 4K is a great improvement to the game for non-RTX owners, you can expect around 30% more performance in "Quality" mode, with all graphics settings maxed out. Going down to 1440p and 1080p resolution, the FSR 2.1 performance increase is also impressive, as it will boost performance by around 30% in "Quality" mode.

It's totes gonna to be the next one... just you wait and see..... I'm super serial !!!

Just on this point, it makes me laugh how when FSR 2 was first shown in deathloop and no ghosting (well it did, it was just very minor), this was a huge win supposedly but pretty much every game since then has some ghosting with fsr and often worse than dlss :p DLSS is pretty ghost free now unless pixel peeping, slowing down footage.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've been pretty disappointed with DLSS on my 1440p monitor. Especially below quality preset and everywhere Iv'e read about it says DLSS is much more impressive when runng 4K as of course it has more information to work with because of its higher starting resolution.

I find it fantastic at 3440x1440 too. Do notice a softer image with performance mode but not a deal breaking difference.

Make sure you use the latest dlss version too i.e. above 2.5.2

DLSS easily the best upscaler.

Good video on the whole, however, he should have updated all games to use the latest DLSS, not like it is hardship simply copy and pasting a file or even better, using dlss swapper to do it for you. Pretty much cements what a few of us have been saying for a while now too:

PFZ8sQW.png

Don't know about anyone else but I'm glad to have paid the premium for dlss :p

Compared to native TAA and FSR 2.1, both DLSS and XeSS image quality is a very noticeable upgrade across all resolutions. The official FSR 2.1 implementation in Resident Evil 4 Remake has a very blurry overall image across all resolutions, even at 4K, and an excessive shimmering and flickering on vegetation, tree leaves and thin steel objects. All of these issues with the only officially supported temporal upscaling solution (FSR 2.1) were resolved with this unofficial support for DLSS and XeSS via community patch. Both DLSS and XeSS has improved the level of detail rendered in vegetation and tree leaves in comparison to the FSR 2.1 implementation, and small details in the distance, such as wires or thin steel objects, are rendered more correctly and completely. With DLAA enabled, the overall image quality improvement goes even further, producing more detailed image quality compared to the in-game TAA solution. However, as this mod is not an official implementation, it has some issues that TAA and FSR 2.1 do not. One of the most noticeable of these issues with this DLSS and XeSS mod is the lower resolution for all in-game on-screen UI elements and a quite jittery look of these UI elements; the lower your internal resolution, the more noticeable it becomes. The second-most-noticeable issue is the low resolution rendering, shimmering and jitter while using the scope on your sniper rifle, which might be quite distracting for some people.

Speaking of performance, compared to FSR 2.1, the DLSS performance gains are significantly higher, and XeSS performance gains, while using the "Standard XeSS upscaling model" are very similar to FSR 2.1, which is a very unusual result. Compared to FSR 2.1, at 4K resolution DLSS has around 20% higher performance gains, and DLSS is not even an official implementation in this case, which further indicates that something is not right with the FSR 2.1 implementation in Resident Evil 4 Remake as a whole, both image quality and performance-wise. Compared to the native TAA solution, the DLSS performance uplift at 4K is a great improvement to the game, you can expect around 40% more performance in "Quality" mode, with all graphics settings maxed out. Going down to 1440p resolution, the DLSS performance increase is also impressive, as it will boost performance by around 30% in "Quality" mode. The DLAA solution has a performance cost of around 5%, compared to the TAA solution.

Which DLSS file though ? The latest is 3.1.11 and it's from an SDK with mixed results, Then there's 2.5.1 from Portal RTX which is quite popular, 3.1.2 from The Last of Us, 3.1.1 from Atomic Heart etc etc....

I think he did it this way as it removes the inevitable online arguments of "Yeah well if you would've used the games original DLSS file......" which I could see coming from a mile away.

That seems to be the best "overall" or rather most stable across a variety of games. Some of the games there are using a much older version which is nowhere as good, especially with regards to the lower presets of balanced, performance and ultra performance where IQ increased drastically.

Fair point that last bit though, I'm surprised they didn't as the comments would have exploded with amd fans thus more views :p Still though, video is about the IQ and this is probably one of the biggest advantages of DLSS with being able to upgrade yourself.

Last edited:
That's gross, How dare you assault my ocular face spheres with such dirty smearing !

FSR going by that video is quite nasty.

TBF, it's not too bad in other areas but as always, if you can, always use dlss :cool:

I've noticed that quite a bit now in various games where FSR doesn't seem to cope well reflections, particles and so on e.g. in rdr 2 check out the particles, wood splinters flying about:

TLdwmO2.png

Shame he didn't update to latest dlss for the games using <2.5.1 dlss version given the complaints where he picked native over dlss are solved with the newer versions i.e. shimmering in foliage being the main reason. That and he left on DOF for likes of spiderman which introduces issues with upscaling tech. such as seen in spiderman, hope he didn't leave on the other post processing effects as that would have also harmed upscaling IQ.....

Last edited:
At the end of the day it's a great technology that has come on leaps and bounds.

When DLSS 1 launched in 2018 with the 2xxx Turing cards, how many people expected that eventually half the game that use it would look better than native resolution?
And yet you'll still get the usual lot saying it looks like 720P :cry: :o

But yeah, it's a fantastic feature, just a shame lots of dev are relying on it to avoid optimisation now :(

EDIT:

From my own testing, if HUB had updated to 2.5.1 or above and turned off post processing effects, dlss would have also come out on top in:

- god of war
- spiderman
- rdr 2
- deathloop
- f1 22
- witcher 3

Last edited:
Last of us has DLSS.

Not a technical amd sponsorship like dead island 2, godfall, fc 6, callisto protocol, riftbreaker. It was just a "promo" kind of sponsorship to sell with hardware, same kind of sponsorship uncharted had.

Says it all:

Last edited:
If DLSS was a pita to implement then yes it would be an issue but the fact is, it's not, it's extremely easy and quick to implement now especially if there is a plugin available at engine level (of which there is for most now). FSR is in fact harder and more complex to implement as it is up to the developers how to implement it (unless they use the plugin) but it also requires a lot of tuning to get the best from it hence how inconsistent and awful it often is.

Again, it's a shame amd are so anti consumer and anti developer by not supporting an open source solution that would have benefitted everyone but hey, amd decide what is best for the gaming industry.....

Reactions: TNA
Why can't people use what's best for their hardware?

Where are the complaints on intel shafting xess for nvidia and amd with regards to getting the best from it?

Back
Top Bottom