• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do AMD provide any benefit to the retail GPU segment.

In term of graphics cards, is not necessarily unknown, but it is known to be the lesser option. Why should I chose AMD over Nvidia?

You can chose what you want I’m just stating that they are a viable alternative with a strong product.

I wouldn’t even state they are the ‘lesser’ option, they are just an alternative with different weaknesses and strengths.

No they don’t. Intel didn’t for years with their CPU’s.

Nvidia can give you 15% uplift or something with no competition and that would be that. Literally zero incentive for them to push the boundaries. People will still upgrade.
15% plus VRAM segmentation shenanigans per generation is probably exactly where they would settle.

Unless they felt threatened in a certain segment like data centre. Then they might release consumer versions of GA100 or AD100 for the big spenders. But expect any such Titan cards to be £4000 or so.

Last edited:
That's fine, but why then do developers make games that can't be played on max settings? What is the point in that? They should make games that max out the hardware but no further...Or they should make hardware that stretches the games. I don't see much point in making games that the hardware can't play.

Are you blaming developers for not optimising game for pcs.

Consoles etc, buy very specific hardware, then throw developers at it telling them this is exactly what they have to work with so design the game around it.

PCs are a frankensteins mess of hardware so they get a frankensteins mess of options and the end user can make up the goalposts as they want to suit their tastes or forum argument angles.

You can chose what you want I’m just stating that they are a viable alternative with a strong product.

I wouldn’t even state they are the ‘lesser’ option, they are just an alternative with different weaknesses and strengths.
When you're just an alternative, without real strengths, you're not gonna change people's minds... There's always the complaint from AMD fans that they won't sell more even when they have the superior product and while somewhat true, that's also the brand image which Radeon Group lacks.
Interesting view. Having owned cards made by both I can't say I've ever thought of it that way and I still don't.
Is not about people who make decision based on their needs, reviews, etc., but about convincing fanboys and people used to a certain brand. Like convincing Apple users to switch to Android.
Isn’t the sole reason people want AMD to do well is to get Nvidia to drop prices ?!
Some, yes. Others won't buy AMD since they don't offer what they need even if they'll be almost free, while a good chunk will sway either way based on performance/price. After all, ATI/AMD had around 40%+ market share if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, probably AMD is not doing that bad and are happy to chase Nvidia for a while.

Last edited:
Since when was AMD an unknown brand.
To us, they're not, but like I said, we a small minority when it comes to consumers. There are a lot of people that buy computers but don't know all the brands of all the components. I buy cars but I could name the manufacturer of every single component in my car. Now we possibly the sort of people that would research most things before we buy; TVs, phones, air fryers, whatever, but I'd think it's a fair assumption that there are people that don't. There will be people that know the name Nvidia so will be happy as l;ong as their PC has Nvidia graphics, cuz they make the best graphics cards.
To an awful lot of people I'd imagine AMD are an unknown brand when it comes to graphics cards. That's what AMD need to change.
And I don't imagine that will be overnight with one generation of cards, they need to consistently be offering a better or cheaper alternative to Nvidia to give those people reason to buy AMD over Nvidia. It's not so much us they need to convince, a lot of us will buy what suits us best, but they need to convince more than just a percentage of us.

Graphics Cards Retail Sales Week 14 2023 (mf)
AMD: 1720 units, 58.4%, ASP: 579
Nvidia: 1195, 40.58%, ASP: 833
Intel: 30, 1.02%, ASP: 183

AMD revenue: 996374, 49.87%
NVIDIA: 996020, 49.85%
Intel: 5501, 0.28%

If this holds anything like true in global sales results i'll take all i have said back.

After correcting the $900 BS 7900XT i'd ###### love to see AMD sell 2X as many of those as Nvidia do the 4070.

Are you blaming developers for not optimising game for pcs.

Consoles etc, buy very specific hardware, then throw developers at it telling them this is exactly what they have to work with so design the game around it.

PCs are a frankensteins mess of hardware so they get a frankensteins mess of options and the end user can make up the goalposts as they want to suit their tastes or forum argument angles.
That may be so, but you have just disparaged pretty much all PC game mods! :D

As Nexus Mods put it:
We host 451,580 mods for 2,133 games from 113,967 authors serving 39,835,392 members with 7,487,463,830 downloads to date.
Modding is probably the main reason I haven't gone console.

If this holds anything like true in global sales results i'll take all i have said back.

After correcting the $900 BS 7900XT i'd ###### love to see AMD sell 2X as many of those as Nvidia do the 4070.

Problems is it's a German retailer and if you've check their history you'll see they always sell more amd cpu and gpu than Intel and Nvidia, amd hardware is very popular in Germany for some reason - but it doesn't reflect the global situation at all. In the steam survey the 4070ti increased its market share by 30% last month (roughly 100k new 4070ti added), while the 7900xt isn't found in enough PCs to even make it on the list.

So yeah your source which shows Germany's largest retailer is selling 600 more AMD GPUs per week than Nvidia isn't going to make much difference when Nvidia is selling 100k rtx4070ti a month globally

Last edited:
Problems is it's a German retailer and if you've check their history you'll see they always sell more amd cpu and gpu than Intel and Nvidia, amd hardware is very popular in Germany for some reason - but it doesn't reflect the global situation at all
I’ve been turned off Nvidia for the foreseeable with their “cutting Bus width and relying on a smaller node for perf uplift” shenanigans

Last edited:
Problems is it's a German retailer and if you've check their history you'll see they always sell more amd cpu and gpu than Intel and Nvidia, amd hardware is very popular in Germany for some reason - but it doesn't reflect the global situation at all

This comes from people started picking up on how well Ryzen 3000 was selling, the thing is tho Rainforest US also had Ryzen 3000 and 5000 completely locking out the top 12 best sellers, they still do, bar one Intel they are right now, and the 7800X3D has joined them.

I just had a look, GPU best sellers, the 7900XT is #16.

However, the highest ranked 4000 series is the 4090 at.............. #48 :cry: the 4080 is at #66 :cry:
:eek::D:cry:
Are those German numbers? The prices of Nvidia cards currently over in Europe is particularly crazy. I would have been tempted by a 4090 rather than a 4080 but most were steadfastly well over 2000 € (£1750).

Only the FEs had a "sensible" RRP and the 4090s were always (and still are) out of stock.

Last edited:
Problems is it's a German retailer and if you've check their history you'll see they always sell more amd cpu and gpu than Intel and Nvidia, amd hardware is very popular in Germany for some reason - but it doesn't reflect the global situation at all. In the steam survey the 4070ti increased its market share by 30% last month (roughly 100k new 4070ti added), while the 7900xt isn't found in enough PCs to even make it on the list.

So yeah your source which shows Germany's largest retailer is selling 600 more AMD GPUs per week than Nvidia isn't going to make much difference when Nvidia is selling 100k rtx4070ti a month globally
Germans do tend to like being logical and favour efficiency and cost effectiveness over many other criteria. Der Bauer is always trying to get folks to downclock and undervolt 4090s and high end CPUs as it is more "sensible". It would not surprise me if that played a part in them buying the better value option rather than following the Nvidia brand name

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom