• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do AMD provide any benefit to the retail GPU segment.

I've never experienced any "issues" with AMD cards myself but I've been hearing a lot of unhappiness in the Nvidia camp. You only need a quick glance down the first page of the GPU sub-forum to see what I'm talking about.

3070FE to 7900xt
GPU Upgrade Time... is 12GB enough @ 1440p?
New GPU is causing PC to hard reset when under stress
MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio HDMI 2.1 screen flicker
That is just not true. A simple read on the amd GPU thread on the forum - or in fact in ANY forum, will shed some light. I've never, ever, ever seen a question regarding whether or not you should install the new drivers on an nvidia thread. It's quite abundant on amd threads. That says all that needs to be said don't you think? The actual users of amd gpus are reluctant to install new drivers, lmao

Yep, I was all against the price increases until my 4080 arrived but I understood at least part of the rise when I picked it up. It weighs nearly twice what my 3080 did and that was itself huge compared to all my previous cards. If TSMC raised prices on chips by 30% and the build costs had to rise to make these behemoths, then I could understand a 50% increase in the end product (i.e. £700+350= £1050 for a 4080.)

Sadly they are still even higher than that which is where I think they are just trying to be greedy and to force sell through of the remaining 3000 series cards by making them seem better value until stock runs out.

Yeah, i mean take nothing away from Nvidia's FE cooler, its a fantastic piece of design and engineering, it is in that sense better than AMD's more traditional reference coolers, having said that it is also very good, i think AMD's cooler is the best so far of the traditional reference coolers, Nvidia's coolers are the foundation of the new age in coolers.

The thing is this is what we want, we do want that quality and design, Nvidia understood this far sooner than AMD who had only just caught on with RDNA2, before then AMD's thinking was keep costs low by gluing the most basic crap to it and let AIB's do all the heavy lifting, the 290's cooler was trash, AMD was like "yes we know, it makes the card cheap, its what you want isn't it?" no.... no not really.

As for TSMC, they have doubled prices in the last two years, shipping costs are up 30% in the same time and an RX 7900XT weights 2X as much as an R9 290.

Costs have gone up, things are more expensive, i think we have to be reasonable about that and also allow for our high quality expectations.

Last edited:
That is just not true. A simple read on the amd GPU thread on the forum - or in fact in ANY forum, will shed some light. I've never, ever, ever seen a question regarding whether or not you should install the new drivers on an nvidia thread. It's quite abundant on amd threads. That says all that needs to be said don't you think? The actual users of amd gpus are reluctant to install new drivers, lmao
To play devil's advocate, AMD definitely DID have a lot of weird driver problems in the past but recently things have been pretty good. The rumoured driver that was causing 6000 series chips to crack was due to moisture on post mining cards. They have still had 1 legitimate bug in the last few months which they fixed.

However, as an Nvidia card owner I have had increasing numbers of driver bugs in the last few years. Destiny 2 was repeatedly crashing after a driver update a few months back which wasted me hours of time trying to undo overclocks in order to regain stability, all of which was fixed by a driver rollback. I still get flickering on transparent textures in Destiny 2 such as the waterfalls in Neomuna's Hall of Heroes or in the space station in season of the Seraph. This bug has been known to Nvidia for months and is still not fixed. The developers are unable to fix it as it is driver side. Another major bug came up recently that required people to also roll back or wait for an update which did not personally affect me as I skipped than driver after hearing about it.

So cherry picking examples to say that one or the other manufacturer has crappy drivers now is a bit unfair. Both have the odd problem crop up but both are usually good.

Last edited:
To play devil's advocate, AMD definitely DID have a lot of weird driver problems in the past but recently things have been pretty good. The rumoured driver that was causing 6000 series chips to crack was due to moisture on post mining cards. They have still had 1 legitimate bug in the last few months which they fixed.

However, as an Nvidia card owner I have had increasing numbers of driver bugs in the last few years. Destiny 2 was repeatedly crashing after a driver update a few months back which wasted me hours of time trying to undo overclocks in order to regain stability, all of which was fixed by a driver rollback. I still get flickering on transparent textures in Destiny 2 such as the waterfalls in Neomuna's Hall of Heroes or in the space station in season of the Seraph. This bug has been known to Nvidia for months and is still not fixed. The developers are unable to fix it as it is driver side. Another major bug came up recently that required people to also roll back or wait for an update which did not personally affect me as I skipped than driver after hearing about it.

So cherry picking examples to say that one or the other manufacturerhas crappy drivers now is a bit unfair. Both have the odd problem crop up but both are usually good.
I'm not cherry picking, I'm just telling you if you read or any other tech forum youll find all you need to know regarding drivers stability between the 2 companies. Not from random people, from actual users of said gpus.

I'm not cherry picking, I'm just telling you if you read or any other tech forum youll find all you need to know regarding drivers stability between the 2 companies. Not from random people, from actual users of said gpus.
Yep, it wasn't aimed at you Bencher, rather the prior post listing all the Nvidia problems and none from AMD, then you saying you have never heard of Nvidia having problems. I replied to you with examples I have personally experienced

Yep, it wasn't aimed at you Bencher, rather the prior post listing all the Nvidia problems and none from AMD, then you saying you have never heard of Nvidia having problems. I replied to you with examples I have personally experienced
I never said nvidia never had problems. Actually I had a few myself ( black screens on my 3090).

I hate these driver arguments. they are stupid,

Since i got my 165Hz screen my GPU can't decide if it wants to idle at 300Mhz or 1600Mhz and use a lot more power, if i wake the screen from sleep it takes a while to come on and then waits a while longer before realising "i'm connected to a G-Sync screen, let me turn that off and on again for you....." right in the middle of writing an angry OCUK post....

If you're an Unreal Engine hobbyist every driver update has you spending an hour testing to see what's broken now....

I could go on. I have friends with AMD GPU's and they don't suffer any more or more serious problems than i do...

My problem with amd isn't the drivers. It's the lack of performance. The 7900xt launched at a price that made it a worse option even for raster. It lacks on so many fronts (consumption, RT, upscaling) and yet it even has worse raster per $ compared to the 4070ti. Like... WHAT??

My problem with amd isn't the drivers. It's the lack of performance. The 7900xt launched at a price that made it a worse option even for raster. It lacks on so many fronts (consumption, RT, upscaling) and yet it even has worse raster per $ compared to the 4070ti. Like... WHAT??

They are the same $799, one is 10% faster in raster, the other 8% faster in RT, one has the absolute bare minimum 12GB the other 20GB.

I've said over and over again the 7900XT should have launched at $749.

They are the same $799, one is 10% faster in raster, the other 8% faster in RT, one has the absolute bare minimum 12GB the other 20GB.

I've said over and over again the 7900XT should have launched at $749.
Now they are. During launch they weren't. The xt was around 130 euro more expensive through the whole Europe for the longest time. At that price it was losing on every front

Thats the price the XTX and 4080 should have launched at the 7900XT and 4070ti should have been around $500-600

It would have been better but no doubt we'd have then been met with the nVidia cards going out of stock straight away and back to stock alerts to get one.

It's just crap all round atm.

Last edited:
When CPUs were stagnant I didn't upgrade my Haswell system for 6 years. They're not really comparable though because gaming is only a small part of the CPU market.

Same. I had my Haswell for nearly 7 years :D

With the pace things are moving now I can't see my 5900X lasting me that long. In a couple of gens a quadcore will probably be faster in games :cry:

Last edited:
Thats the price the XTX and 4080 should have launched at the 7900XT and 4070ti should have been around $500-600

I see your game here, making me be that guy :p

The 7900XTX is 47% faster than the 6900XT its replaced for the same launch MSRP, the 4090 is 22% faster for 60% more money.

its £150 cheaper than the 4080 while being 10% faster and has 24GB vs a not unreasonable 16GB.

Its perfectly ok.

It would have been better but no doubt we'd have then been met with the nVidia cards going out of stock straight away and back to stock alerts to get one.

It's just **** all round atm.
I don't think it would have been that bad, there is less demand for PC parts in general now compared to last time in the midst of the pandemic and miners are not interested now either.

I don't think it would have been that bad, there is less demand for PC parts in general now compared to last time in the midst of the pandemic and miners are not interested now either.

Maybe not, but with nVidia's market share and the number of people desperate for an upgrade (as shown by all the posts on this forum about it), I think a £700-750 4080FE would absoutely fly off the shelves.

Reactions: TNA
I see your game here, making me be that guy :p

The 7900XTX is 47% faster than the 6900XT its replaced for the same launch MSRP, the 4090 is 22% faster for 60% more money.

its £150 cheaper than the 4080 while being 10% faster and has 24GB vs a not unreasonable 16GB.

Its perfectly ok.
The 6900XT was a 90 competitor though while the 7900XTX is an 80 competitor so should be priced more like what an 80 class product has traditionally sold for, do you think it would have been priced at 1k if Nvidia had released a 4080 using a 102 die for $700 again?

Back
Top Bottom