• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do AMD provide any benefit to the retail GPU segment.

Haha, cannot say the same for the Americans ;) I guess the economy and cost of living crisis must be finally starting to bite a bit over there

It's probably more a reflection the AMD cards have gone down in price,and Nvidia pricing hasn't. Nvidia is sitting on over $5 billion of unsold inventory and this figure has doubled in the last year. On top of this they have reduced orders from TSMC significantly:

OuOI71R.png

Why should I chose AMD over Nvidia?

Nvidia's market share in 2014 62%
GTX 780 £549

Nvidia's market share in 2023 92%
RTX 4080 £1,269

Notice a pattern? as Nvidia's market share increases, Nvidia's MSRP increases. To stand a chance of prices returning to normal, we simply need to lower Nvidia's market share back down to 62% by switching to team blue or team red and the xx80 class cards should come back down to £549 (adjust to inflation). Intel and AMD will be forced to undercut Nvidia like they have been.

Last edited:
GTX 780 £549

RTX 4080 £1,269

Notice a pattern? as Nvidia's market share increases, Nvidia's MSRP increases. To stand a chance of prices returning to normal, we simply need to lower Nvidia's market share back down to 62% by switching to team blue or team red and the xx80 class cards should come back down to £549 (adjust to inflation). Intel and AMD will be forced to undercut Nvidia like they have been.
It’s going to take another decade sadly. What do we do in the meantime? Lol

Last edited:
GTX 780 £549

RTX 4080 £1,269

Look at how much r290/x price was back in the day, Fury /x/nano, Vega56/64 (so expensive cards with new, expensive memory and tech!), and how much AMD is charging now. AMD is not doing me any favors when they have the possibility to do so, ergo I won't do it either. For sure I'm not gonna pay more for a lot less, lol.

LE: Humbug is fine with the 7900xt to be $749 at launch time. 2nd best card in the past, r290 was $399. Vega 54 was $399 as well. If he's fine with that almost double in price, do you think AMD will ever come back to those prices? :) And is the same train of thought I've seen at other posters: "if it only would have been $200 cheaper" thereabouts). So forget the doubling in price, $200 cheaper and is fine. No, prices won't go down, because people are happy to pay more (sometimes for less).

Last edited:
GTX 780 £549

RTX 4080 £1,269

And why would I and many others do that if the competing options aren't rivalling what nvidia are putting out? I sure as hell am not buying an inferior option or rather buying an inferior option in the hope that in 2+ years, I get what I paid for :cry:

Again, this is a case of blame everyone but amd for the position the market is in now, want to blame someone, blame amd for not innovating and beating nvidia to the punch.

Look at how much r290/x price was back in the day, Fury /x/nano, Vega56/64 (so expensive cards), and how much AMD is charging now. AMD is not doing me any favors when they have the possibility to do so, ergo I won't do it either. For sure I'm not gonna pay more a lot for less, lol.

Exactly, sorry I forget, amd are a charity and the white knights for the gaming community :o

I have supported amd far more than nvidia and intel combined but they simply don't offer the same as they did back in the day so why should I and others reward incompetence with our hard earned money....

Last edited:
Judging by the current trend, I think gamers will let AMD Radeon Group go bankrupt and then the 5080 will cost £3000.
As humbug said in the OP, AMD are not a charity, we shouldn't be expected to help them out if they won't help themselves or us.
They're a business and should run themselves as such. Businesses that don't work don't last. If that's AMDs fate, that's on them, not me.

Judging by the current trend, I think gamers will let AMD Radeon Group go bankrupt and then the 5080 will cost £3000.
nvidia is charging what it wants right now and thinks it can get away with. amd doesn't even matter, because amd doesn't care to compete with them.

6800xt $649
7900xt $899

33% more performance for 39% more money. Yeah, let's buy AMD, seems reasonable.

As humbug said in the OP, AMD are not a charity, we shouldn't be expected to help them out if they won't help themselves or us.
They're a business and should run themselves as such. Businesses that don't work don't last. If that's AMDs fate, that's on them, not me.

I don't give a monkeys about the company. It's high GPU prices I care deeply about and that was the only strategy I can think of to fix it. I want the 60 class GPUs to cost £200 again.

Last edited:
nvidia is charging what it wants right now and thinks it can get away with. amd doesn't even matter, because amd doesn't care to compete with them.

6800xt $649
7900xt $899

33% more performance for 39% more money. Yeah, let's buy AMD, seems reasonable.

But it's nvidia's fault!!!!

:cry:

Funny thing is humbug will likely end up buying nvidia for his next gpu too.

I don't give a monkeys about the company. It's high GPU prices I care deeply about and that was the only strategy I can think of to fix it. I want the 60 class GPUs to cost £200 again.

That is never going to happen regardless of market share. Given costs for literally every single thing (and talking about necessities here) have gone up, we're never returning to flagship gpus for £500, don't know what planet people are living on to think this is possible....

AMD going bankrupt if people don't buy their dGPUs :cry:

They have a GPU lab not a fab, they can leave the dGPU market on the back burner for the forseeable future and keep shovelling their CPU focused designs with flavours of GPU as the customer requires.

No amount of techo prayer will get them making cheap dGPUs while there's an infinite queue demanding they turn those same wafers into CPU focused products.

And you think paying AMDs high prices will achieve this?

Let me be clear here, I'm saying this as someone that has bought a bunch of AMD products in the past, quite possibly more than a lot of the "white knights" in here that are feeling sorry for AMD, and have had my share of issues.

That is never going to happen regardless of market share. Given costs for literally every single thing (and talking about necessities here) have gone up, we're never returning to flagship gpus for £500, don't know what planet people are living on to think this is possible....
Probably the costs can be lowered if the plan is to sell high volumes for a relative long time. Adding a MCM design/cf/sli style would help as well. For example, 2x3060ti will be close to around a 3090ti/7900xt/4070ti at a much lower price (around 7-800 dollars). The same would be possible for current gen as well.

However, I don't expect costs savings to be passed heavily towards the end user, so even it would cost them pennies to make, $1000 would still be the price, regardless if the card bears amd's or nvidia's name.

Probably the costs can be lowered if the plan is to sell high volumes for a relative long time. Adding a MCM design/cf/sli style would help as well. For example, 2x3060ti will be close to around a 3090ti/7900xt/4070ti at a much lower price (around 7-800 dollars). The same would be possible for current gen as well.

However, I don't expect costs savings to be passed heavily towards the end user, so even it would cost them pennies to make, $1000 would still be the price, regardless if the card bears amd's or nvidia's name.

Not a chance, sure chiplet is allowing amd to make these gpus for much less, another area where humbug was wrong, supposedly those savings were going to be passed on to the customers :cry: People give nvidia a lot of credit for their mindshare/brain washing by paying into their features and so on but honestly, amd are the true king here, they have brainwashed their following into thinking that amd are the poor underdog and that everything they do is for the good of the industry :o

And you think paying AMDs high prices will achieve this?

Let me be clear here, I'm saying this as someone that has bought a bunch of AMD products in the past, quite possibly more than a lot of the "white knights" in here that are feeling sorry for AMD, and have had my share of issues.

I've never experienced any "issues" with AMD cards myself but I've been hearing a lot of unhappiness in the Nvidia camp. You only need a quick glance down the first page of the GPU sub-forum to see what I'm talking about.

3070FE to 7900xt
GPU Upgrade Time... is 12GB enough @ 1440p?
New GPU is causing PC to hard reset when under stress
MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio HDMI 2.1 screen flicker

I've never experienced any "issues" with AMD cards myself but I've been hearing a lot of unhappiness in the Nvidia camp. You only need a quick glance down the first page of the GPU sub-forum to see what I'm talking about.

3070FE to 7900xt
GPU Upgrade Time... is 12GB enough @ 1440p?
New GPU is causing PC to hard reset when under stress
MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio HDMI 2.1 screen flicker
So you're comparing the AMD issues you've experienced with the Nvidia issues people on the forum have experienced? Doesn't seem like an apples to apple comparison there...

Look at how much r290/x price was back in the day, Fury /x/nano, Vega56/64 (so expensive cards with new, expensive memory and tech!), and how much AMD is charging now. AMD is not doing me any favors when they have the possibility to do so, ergo I won't do it either. For sure I'm not gonna pay more for a lot less, lol.

LE: Humbug is fine with the 7900xt to be $749 at launch time. 2nd best card in the past, r290 was $399. Vega 54 was $399 as well. If he's fine with that almost double in price, do you think AMD will ever come back to those prices? :) And is the same train of thought I've seen at other posters: "if it only would have been $200 cheaper" thereabouts). So forget the doubling in price, $200 cheaper and is fine. No, prices won't go down, because people are happy to pay more (sometimes for less).

£400 in 2013 is £520 today, that also doesn't reflect a far more significant raise in shipping costs, component costs and manufacturing costs.

The truth is add also the size and wight of modern GPU's, the power increase, the quality of the boards and coolers an equivalency is probably around £650.

No one wants to go from this handsome quality thing......

Kr092CS.jpg

back to this.

mSaBgrA.jpg

£400 in 2013 is £520 today, that also doesn't reflect a far more significant raise in shipping costs, component costs and manufacturing costs.

The truth is add also the size and wight of modern GPU's, the power increase, the quality of the boards and coolers an equivalency is probably around £650.

Kr092CS.jpg

back to this.

mSaBgrA.jpg
Yep, I was all against the price increases until my 4080 arrived but I understood at least part of the rise when I picked it up. It weighs nearly twice what my 3080 did and that was itself huge compared to all my previous cards. If TSMC raised prices on chips by 30% and the build costs had to rise to make these behemoths, then I could understand a 50% increase in the end product (i.e. £700+350= £1050 for a 4080.)

Sadly they are still even higher than that which is where I think they are just trying to be greedy and to force sell through of the remaining 3000 series cards by making them seem better value until stock runs out.

Last edited:

Kr092CS.jpg

back to this.

mSaBgrA.jpg
That design didn't really make it into the market. I had something similar to this https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/sapphire-tri-x-r9-290-oc.b2706. it kept the card cool and quiet even over locked at 300w plus. It would have no issues on a 7900xt.

R290 was 275w while the 7900xt is around 300w. The difference is small
R290'was quite big at 438mm2 and had a 512bit bus.

So the size, complexity etc. argument is not valid.

Moreover, you're applying inflation at the original price which includes possible extra expenses as shipping costs, components, etc.

Not the least, inflation differs from one product to another, from one country to another. Overall it could have been lower than that (or higher(. We don't know since we don't know BOM for each product.

Anyway, think about fury x/nano , Vega 54l64with their HBM memory and water cooled, then about current cards with mcm design which would also reduce costs...

Back
Top Bottom