• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do AMD provide any benefit to the retail GPU segment.

About 35FPS just looking at the distant mountains, on RTX 4090 in 1440p UW. :) I do see lots of artefacts around the "weapon" when turning camera - temporal upscaling? Foliage also still pops in a lot when moving around.

I get 9 :D RTX 2070 Super.

temporal upscaling?
Yes.

Foliage also still pops in a lot when moving around.

Grass or trees?

Grass, flowers - stuff on the ground. Trees seem fine, but grass is popping up into existence not that far from the player, so very visible. I reckon normally we'd have a LOD here and it wouldn't be so visible, though nanite was supposed to resolve that for good, I thought? :)

The is a view distance set for grass / flowers, if i didn't set that it just wouldn't run at all. :)

Nanite is excellent but its not magic...

Last edited:
It's going to be $450:

Lets compare that to an RTX 3070 (none Ti)

3070:
Shaders 5888 at 1725Mhz, 21 TFlops FP32
Memory bandwidth 448GB/s

4060Ti:
Shaders 4352 at 2535Mhz, 22 TFlops FP32
Memory bandwidth 288GB/s

I would say its going to be marginally faster than the 3070, perhaps between that and a 3070Ti. But its got little over half the memory bandwidth, maybe if its lucky with some older games that don't have high textures streaming demands it can keep up with a 3070, but anything else and especially at 1440P it will not!
But that's ok, because with 8GB of memory its not a AAA 1440P card anyway.

Last edited:
This every GPU is currently £440.

It has 12GB GDDR6 running at 432GB/s

This one is £420.

Last edited:
People keep acting like they have no choice. You have the RX6600/A750 going for well under £250 many times already. The RX6600XT/RX6650XT have been frequently under £300. The RX6700 10GB could be had for even under £300 a few times. Even the RTX3060 12GB I have seen drop under £300 a few times.

Yes, these are good cards for little money, The 6700 None XT is a fantastic entry to AAA 1440P gaming for no money, its so obscure the fact that it exists keeps slipping my mind....

Nvidia think they can turn that around by offering a sub $500 card for the masses, but as usual with Nvidia its not quite that straightforward, its basically a 3070, at least initially, until other less mainstream reviewers get a hold of it and make it work a bit harder for its money....

I was tempted but may not work so well with my 750W PSU and I'd kick myself if the 7800XT is similar performance but cooler, quieter with lower power use in a couple of months.

Your 5800X3D uses about the same amount of power as an incandescent light bulb. Your SeaSonic has plenty of room for a more hungry GPU.

Last edited:
Its kind of sad,that because of what Nvidia is doing we have relatively small discounts on older generation dGPUs,which makes them look better.

We have the power to change that, we just have to be more stubborn than Jens, but are talking about someone who is pathological about setting this new normal.

And AMD are not in the clear with this, yes they have some strong offerings from the older generation but the $900 7800XT 7900XT was just as bad as Nvidia's 4080 12GB stunt.

Most of the 4000 series are sitting on shelves, for the first time in more than a decade AMD have an opportunity to stick it to Nvidia.

Last edited:
Learn from Ryzen.

First you have to gain the respect and mindshare by offering strong products at good value, take the margins hit to do that, then once you've pulled yourselves out of the rut that you're in and you're selling a lot more products than you used to, provided you're still making compelling products you can pull the margins up to something more sustainable.

Its not rocket science, you're done it before with resounding success.

Last edited:
And yet they went with $1000 for 2 high end cards that won't sell much when gamers and not miners are concerned. Besides, I'm incline to think that Microsoft and Sony sponsor some of that development, so basically now and then get a lot of development for "free".

Nothing stopping AMD to try and make 6800xt/6900xt cards at around $350-$400 and enforce that price so they gain market share. Instead they went more or less for "halo" cards. Yes, not the best of that league, but still stuff which won't sell amazingly well. Simply put: they follow the market leader.

And how much for the RX 6600? $50?

Last edited:
But it is clear AMD has prioritised production of consoles and CPUs over dGPUs. You saw that by some of the numbers that got leaked out about 7NM wafer allocations during the pandemic. AMD dGPUs are easy to get in Western Europe and the US,but in many parts of the world it is much easier to find Nvidia products.

You can also see it this generation - there is more concentration on cutting production costs. AMD has access to the same TSMC 4N 5NM process as Nvidia but is using it for APUs:

This is an IGP which clocks upto 3GHZ in a TDP constrained environment. Navi 31 doesn't even have a big GCD and its made on bog standard TSMC 5NM(Nvidia uses TSMC 4N 5NM). Nvidia went for a 600+ MM2 top die dGPU,and AMD went for a mixed process node dGPU closer to 500MM2.Navi 33 looks like a slightly die shrunk Navi 23 made on an economy TSMC 6NM process. They are not using GDDR6X or stacked cache either.

The best we can hope for is that in the mainstream area they produce decent enough dGPUs to sort of keep Nvidia in check.

Forza 5, 1080P high: Avrg 86 FPS.
Fortnight, 1080P medium: Avrg 78 FPS.
Doom Eternal, 1080P medium: Avrg 88 FPS.
Horizon Zero Dawn, 1080P performance mode: Avrg 68 FPS.
COD MW2, 1080P recommended settings: Avrg 106 FPS.
CP 2077, 1080P Low - Med: 60 to 75 FPS.

That's Stonking for an iGPU, that will give an RTX 3050 a run for its money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom