Do dealerships not negotiate on used cars any more?

Soldato
I've been looking at some used BMWs and have found a lovely 330e for just over £22k. This is probably £1k more than I can spend (PCP), but when I asked about movement on price for this car, I got this response:

"Unfortunately, we do not have any movement in price for our cars. We do not price our used cars in the dealership, this is done at a head office level. They do check prices daily however and adjust them accordingly."

I know this could just be talk, but I don't see any reason for him to lie as this 4.5% drop in price would easily secure the car!

Maybe I'm just ignorant :)

The other option I have is a 318i, but they're not particularly comparable - the 330e looks awesome! I'd rather get a 320i if I can't get the 330e.

It's fairly rare these days. With autotrader and how easy it is to compare cars. Dealers are usually pricing correctly against the market and adjust regularly so it's not like it used to be. Last few cars i've had have had very little movement.

You're usually better off trying to get some servicing/warranty included as the cost to you is high, but cheap to the dealer.

Last edited:
It's fairly rare these days. With autotrader and how easy it is to compare cars. Dealers are usually pricing correctly against the market and adjust regularly so it's not like it used to be. Last few cars i've had have had very little movement.

You're usually better off trying to get some servicing/warranty included as the cost to you is high, but cheap to the dealer.

Thanks. I guess a smart strategy might be to find some comparable cars on AutoTrader and see what their prices are. It does seem well priced tbh, just I can't quite afford it.

Regarding the servicing etc, that makes a lot of sense. Annoyingly, I don't put money away for servicing so it doesn't really impact my monthly spend! I guess I've just been paying for that sort of thing as and when it comes along.

The last couple of cars I've brought they've always refused to change the headline price but I've always managed to extract more on trade in and like the previous poster, either extra years warranty or freebies such as rubber mats and boot liners FOC plus any corrections to the car itself like bodywork niggles or wheels being repaired before delivery etc.

Unless something has been sitting around for awhile and not selling you'll often not get any movement on price these days and most will pretty much tell you flat out no in the first instance anyhow but might then get back in contact if you walk away. As above I've had some joy getting extras thrown in but not the price down.

The last couple of cars I've brought they've always refused to change the headline price but I've always managed to extract more on trade in and like the previous poster, either extra years warranty or freebies such as rubber mats and boot liners FOC plus any corrections to the car itself like bodywork niggles or wheels being repaired before delivery etc.
this

Unless something has been sitting around for awhile and not selling you'll often not get any movement on price these days

I got £1k off an already well priced car, so such general statements are not really the case. It will depend on a combination of factors so really the answer remains 'some do, some don't'.

I negotiated on a number of other cars and whilst obviously we didn't reach a point where we were both happy, nobody refused any discount at all (though I am aware of a number of dealer groups where this is policy).

Last edited:
I got £1k off an already well priced car, so such general statements are unhelpful. It will depend on a combination of factors so really the answer remains 'some do, some don't'.

You can't really get any more general than "some do, some don't".

when I was looking, I was told I wouldn’t get more than £300 off a 25k car.

I offered them £24,000 for it and they declined.

Called me a couple of weeks later asking if I was still interested, but I’d bought the car I now have by then.

It really depends on whether they sell it & how much you specifically want it.

If you’re prepared to lose out on it, just make an offer and tell them the offer is on the table until you’ve made a purchase, which you’re actively looking to do.

I ended up getting £2500 off the private sale of the car I have now, as I turned up to look at it and had the money in my bank to make the purchase there and then.

Most of the time I get some money off. It depends on the car and time of year etc.

If it's a car you know has sat on their forecourt for months you have more chance.

Would've probably made it even more paying finance where they got a kickback :p

Yep, then go home and pay it off instantly. They love that :D

Last edited:
I didn't get anything off of mine when I bought it, but I asked them to bump up my part ex price and they agreed.
Same with mine, it was being offered on 0% finance so they said there was basically no wiggle room. Managed to get nearly an extra grand on my trade in and servicing along with a few other bits thrown in though.

The Nissan dealership wouldn't budge on my Leaf either although they did throw in three years free servicing and some fancy Supaguard treatment on the bodywork and interior. As it was used approved it came with a Nissan 1 year warranty and remainder of ten year warranty (7 years) on the battery.

The rise of the online supermarkets have changed perceptions on car pricing IMHO. It is much more agreeable that they are priced correctly and there is no room for movement. Years ago I think that'd be an outrageous suggestion.

go somewhere else, I know for a fact dealers make big profits on cars. I used to know quite a few of them and they were all making thousands per car they sold. Sometimes ridiculous amounts from taking advantage of people who died and their family were selling the car off. They would offer like £12000 for a £17000+ car

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom