Do dealerships not negotiate on used cars any more?

all depends on the dealers most of the big dealers no working with them i bought a 2016 skoda octavia from Bristol street motors a few years back it was up at £10495 i offered them £10k and would pay them straight away and they said no 10 mins later they were back on the phone excepting my 10k tho recently i phoned about a car that was 11995 and the dealer was not taking 100 less and would not even collect me at the train station 15 mins away

I've only been able to get anything off at bmw by walking away/getting a call later. Risky if you've been waiting for a specific car and spec to pop up somewhere in the country for a long time.

I've only been able to get anything off at bmw by walking away/getting a call later. Risky if you've been waiting for a specific car and spec to pop up somewhere in the country for a long time.

Walking away has always been one of the best tactics. Most people are to excited over getting a new thing to do it.

Last edited:
Good news is that my car sold on Motorway, pending them collecting it! So now I have actual options.

In reality, it's likely to be the 318i as there are 330es, but they seem to be very expensive to insure.

Surely your gain? :S
Yeah we ended up buying from somewhere else in the end but the important point is if dealers are not willing to negotiate, you really like the car but don't want to pay the asking price then it could be worth waiting a month or two as monitoring the some cars for a while it seems like the big dealers use an algorithm which automatically drops the price every couple of weeks when cars don't sell.

What year is the 330e, im contemplating buying mine back from the company once my new one arrives later this year. If insurance isnt crazy i can give the 330 to the mrs.

I think it’s 2020. Insurance didn’t come out that bad actually - £550 a year. I budgeted £450 for next year, so it’s not wildly out of my budget. And the pcp will be cheaper even with the increase in insurance.

Do you like the 330e?

Good news is that my car sold on Motorway, pending them collecting it! So now I have actual options.

In reality, it's likely to be the 318i as there are 330es, but they seem to be very expensive to insure.

I don't think the 318i is a particularly good choice. It has a 3 cylinder engine which really doesn't suit the 3 series. Works well in a Mini, but not a larger saloon.

I think it’s 2020. Insurance didn’t come out that bad actually - £550 a year. I budgeted £450 for next year, so it’s not wildly out of my budget. And the pcp will be cheaper even with the increase in insurance.

Do you like the 330e?

Mines a 70 plate. Ive done 93k in it so far, and its been fantastic. Only downside is the tiny boot. It gets charged regularly so economy is really good. Great to drive, despite the weight of battery its still fairly chuckable.

I don't think the 318i is a particularly good choice. It has a 3 cylinder engine which really doesn't suit the 3 series. Works well in a Mini, but not a larger saloon.

Oh really? I read it’s the same as the 320i. Are they both 3 cylinder?

I think my Q2 35 TFSI is also 3 cylinder, pretty similar in every way really.

Which is the right one?

Mines a 70 plate. Ive done 93k in it so far, and it’s been fantastic. Only downside is the tiny boot. It gets charged regularly so economy is really good. Great to drive, despite the weight of battery it’s still fairly chuckable.

Hmmmmm. I need a bit of boot space. Would you mind measuring how big the opening is for me? Need to get a bass amp in there!!

Last edited:
Oh really? I read it’s the same as the 320i. Are they both 3 cylinder?

I think my Q2 35 TFSI is also 3 cylinder, pretty similar in every way really.

Which is the right one?

Hmmmmm. I need a bit of boot space. Would you mind measuring how big the opening is for me? Need to get a bass amp in there!!

I’ll measure it tomorrow for you. You can basically get 2 medium/large suitcases in and nothing above. Not a car for airport runs. The tourer is a better option.

it's a manual 318i - not sure an auto suits it - I don't really want a 330e electric range unfortunately won't be of too much practical use, and power is down once battery exhausted, I can't find any non-M/X 320's locally,
(we've got poor roads so no M's, X-drive - it's not icy, who needs the additional reliability issue, loss of mpg)
so am considering lighter 318i despite the power deficit ... not sure how to validate the dmf during a test drive which is (not surprisingly) a weakness.
As said, VAG have an equivalent 3 cylinder in A4 etc. too.

on the back of the AT app, a couple of others
https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/
https://www.motorwatch.co.uk/

I’ll measure it tomorrow for you. You can basically get 2 medium/large suitcases in and nothing above. Not a car for airport runs. The tourer is a better option.

That was a fantastic video. For once, I am delighted by his German thoroughness. He measured the boot and indeed, my amp will fit!

I think it was just under 1 m wide and about 0.4 m in height, which just about works for me.

Basically, I'm very much sold on the 330e! The electric bit is very exciting - I could probably drive to work and back for a whole week without using any petrol.

There is a lot of FUD about the 330e battery but I guess the car reverts to just being a 320i with a small tank if it dies? My friend had one, it was a decent enough place to be.

Factor summer range of 25-30 and winter 15-17 miles.

Ah fair enough. I drive about 6 miles a day, on a normal day at least. So I could get 3-5 days out of it probably.

Annoyingly, I've found two that are in my price range but both have cloth seats, which I'm not keen on. Maybe I can overlook that...not sure.

Back
Top Bottom