Do dogs smell?

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Have you had a bad experience with a dog in the past? Why all the hate?

No bad experiences no, and I think a lot of "the hate" is you reading what you want into what I am typing (or taking the internet too seriously, perhaps?) but I definitely do find dogs irritating.

They are just intolerable! They smell, they are STUPID, they are noisy, etc etc.

Regardless, well trained dogs are tolerable. Dogs that will literally do nothing unless their owner tells them to do it or encourages it etc. I have seen a few dogs around that are like that (usually Labradors, it seems?) and my neighbour has a Husky which is very well trained. They still stink though and are still inelegant and stupid.

Contrast that with cats, just a totally different league. To those who say that cats show no affection, try living with one - my cat shows me plenty of affection and isn't simply around when it wants to be fed! She'll actively encourage me to stay in bed so she can lie there with me or whatever.

Soldato
I was told once (and I was not that bothered whether it was true or not so didn't ever check it out) that apparently dogs evolved to roll around in crap and thereby smell bad as a hunting mechanism to avoid them being smelt on the wind. Cats evolved the other way and try to avoid any smell at all (which ties in with them being ambush predators) which is why they're so fastidious about cleaning and not smelling.

Edit: Of course that may be rubbish, I don't really know.

Soldato
If I was still on the moderation team here I would have done my level best to make sure you never posted here again. Lets hope the current mod team are thinking along the same lines.

You're worse than the Mac V Microsoft fan boys. Love cats so much you daren't say a good word about a dog. Quite pathetic really, also it's cringeworthy the way you talk about your cat. :o

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
You're worse than the Mac V Microsoft fan boys. Love cats so much you daren't say a good word about a dog. Quite pathetic really, also it's cringeworthy the way you talk about your cat. :o

:D

Get a grip? Reading in a tone that isn't there into some posts and then posting personal attacks? GOOD ONE!

Do you REALLY think that ANYONE SERIOUSLY wants to exterminate ALL dogs? Do you?

"Daren't" say a good word about dogs? What do you think I am afraid of? The cat police coming over and arresting me for saying something positive? No. I have NOTHING positive to say about dogs in addition to what I have already said because that is my OPINION.

I find your entire existence cringeworthy. Jog on.

Soldato
:D

Get a grip? Reading in a tone that isn't there into some posts and then posting personal attacks? GOOD ONE!

Do you REALLY think that ANYONE SERIOUSLY wants to exterminate ALL dogs? Do you?

"Daren't" say a good word about dogs? What do you think I am afraid of? The cat police coming over and arresting me for saying something positive? No. I have NOTHING positive to say about dogs in addition to what I have already said because that is my OPINION.

I find your entire existence cringeworthy. Jog on.

Would read again 10/10.

Cheers for the laugh :D

Associate
Depends on the type of dog.
Ours doesn't smell of "dog" at all even if smelling the fur close up. He gets a bath every 2 months or so and that's it. The house doesn't smell of it, never has done in 7 years. And no, it's not because "you get used to the smell," as I moved out a few years ago. He doesn't shed fur everywhere either which is also a bonus..... Yes he is a dog ;), some kind of terrier cross.
He's the family's first dog and we thought that the smell was something we would have to deal with but we don't.
Been round other people's homes with dogs and the smell can be vile! Even just stroking someone's dog the smell gets on your hands and clothing, it can be horrible!

Soldato
Wouldn't be a week in GD without a heated dog vs cats argument. We all like what we like; there's little point in continuing to ram whichever it is down each others throats.

And yes dogs do smell, but as said it depends on many factors like length of coat, owners upkeep of the dogs hygiene, owners upkeep of house cleanliness ect. One thing's for sure, I've certainly encountered humans that stink more than the worst smelling dogs in my time.

Oh and DRZ, hope you take this in the spirit it is intended as I can't resist....

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hell yes, when i was growing up my parent bought a Newfoundland , think i was 3 at the time when we got our first one.Three of them have past away since but they have a little puppies Newfoundland called willow who is already bigger then most dogs.I would say Newfoundlands/st Bernard's are the smelliest due to the amount of slavering they do, Newfoundlands bibs are constantly wet with slobbers even in the winter.Also if they get wet they stay wet for sooo long so you have to put up with the wet dog smell for hours!Our first Newfoundland Ben would jump over five feet high fence and escape down the street and jump into river and spend the entire day swimming in it until he got tired or until my mum could tease him out of it.He also loved to swim across a lake me and my family used to go to in Germany years ago, he would disappear and swim a couple miles to the other side just to bring back a stick! So as you can tell i had to put up with the wet dog smell allot!

Soldato
Our dog doesn't smell, but she sheds pretty much constantly. They (elkhounds) apparently shed twice a year but it seems like it's for six months each time :/

You're not even supposed to bath them, ours hasn't had a bath since we had her, it's bizarre.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Oh and DRZ, hope you take this in the spirit it is intended as I can't resist....

Woah, hold the phone a minute here son.

I was pointing out that cats are capable of showing affection. If somehow you misconstrued my post then I suggest you go and purchase some key stage 2 comprehension books.

I hope you take this post in the spirit it was intended...

Soldato
I think it depends on the dog as well. Big dogs I find tend to make peoples houses smell more, little ones not so much.

Also, thinks like carpet can make a huge difference. Dogs like to roll around on the floor quite a bit and just a hoover on the carpet isn't always going to get the smell out. I for one know my dog, she's just a little jack russell (or rat russell as I call her as she was the runt of the litter) but she rolls around on the doormat and everything scratching her back. And her bed smells the worst. But overall I don't think she is the smelliest dog ever. I had a staff and a bulldog before, and they both smelt a lot worse. My neighbour has an alsatian which stinks, but then one of my other neighbours has a couple of poodles which don't smell at all. One of the big differences between there two houses (not counting mine as nobody knows the real 'smell' of their own home) is that the one with the alsatian is carpeted throughout and the one with the two poodles has wooden floor and tiles throughout the downstairs and the stairs are wooden as well. The one that's carpeted throughout smells of dog. The one with two dogs and wooden flooring doesn't.

Soldato
My dog smells like dog, but then again thats what I've been used to. Couldn't care less if other people doesn't like him, he's awesome and what I find funny is those people who HATE dogs normally crap themselves around Max when he's a big sook.

KaHn

Back
Top Bottom